Anniversary Cruise

My husband and I are planning a cruise to celebrate our 10th Anniversary. However...it's still 3 years away.

Since it will be my first cruise I wanted to start planning and researching early...as part of the overall fun. I have been having a great time reading reviews and getting lots of tips.

We want to fly to London and take a ship back to the NY/NJ port. I have 2 cruise lines that so far seem right...Norwegian and Celebrity.

I have researched some trips up to 2009 so I have somewhat of an idea what the cost will be....but would like some advice on when I should actually start making reservations...or when I will be able to make reservations. I haven't seen any trips past March 2009.

Do you recommend a travel agent or is the booking process better with the cruise line? The trip will most likely take place in the Fall of 2010.

Thank you in advance for your help.

If this is your first cruise, I would highly recommend booking through a Travel Agent. While you certainly can do this yourself, it's easier the first time around through a TA. I would see if you know someone in your home town or relatives or friends out of town wh has a recommendaton.

Be sure when you book the cruise that you provide the day you want to celebrate your anniversary to the cruise line.

I am a believer in booking early so you can get the cabin you want. If the prices go down you can usually get the lower price.

I recommend getting a mid deck cabin as I find it better in terms of less rocking if the seas are rough.

There are so many cruise lines to choose from. Sometimes on these types of cruises you will see itineraries with very few stops while othertimes there will be some stops.

I would recommend Celebrity over NCL but that's just my personal opinion.

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary.

Keith

Definitely book through a travel agent.

We also always book early. If the price goes down at least 10% most cruise lines will give you the lower fare. Also by booking early, you get to choose the cabin you want.

Have celabrated a few anniveraries while we cruises. We usually go to the ship's specialty restaurant.

Congratulations on your anniversary!

I would book through a travel agent, but try to find one that is knowledgeable about cruises...not all of them are. We got an upgrade once through the travel agent probably because they did a lot of business with the cruiseline (they gave us the upgrade as we booked our cruise so we were able to choose a nicer stateroom). When you do your research, check out the staterooms so you can tell your agent what room you want.

I haven't tried Celebrity yet but have only heard good things about it. I have tried NCL in the Caribbean and found it was OK....I would cruise NCL again but I didn't like the ship as much as RCCL's. The price was right with NCL but I think if I was planning a special occasion cruise, I would go with Celebrity.

Its so nice that you can cruise to your home! If you keep researching, you may find some other options before your 2010 timeframe.

Archived