American Airlines changed my flight!

I just found out last night that American Airlines totally canceled my connecting flight from Dallas Fort Worth to Las Vegas in November. They put me on an earlier connecting plane.

I happened to go on line to check for the price because of another post on here. My flight was there one minute and gone the next. Suddenly there was a different flight number and seats next to our names?

My husband has emphysema and we can not make it from one flight to another, usually changing terminals by taking a tram, when we do not have enough lay over time. This new flight was not giving us enought time.

I checked and found a flight that leaves an hour later than the one they had put us on and fortunately there were seats. I called and got on that flight.

I am sure there will be many more changes by Nov. 2.

I too got an email yesterday from American telling me they changed my flight times in September. They only pushed the departure time back 10 minutes and I'm not going very far (from San Francisco to LA) and I'm due into LAX at 11am on the day of the cruise. So I'm not too worried about it right now. If push comes to shove we can always drive down to LA.

Be glad they didn't change your flight and split your group up.

About 5 years ago 14 family members were going on a cruise out of Miami. A week before we left Travelocity sent us a notice that our flights were changed. Close to the original arrival and depart times, BUT two separate airports, Fort Lauderdale and Miami airports.

Not horrifying until I read the ticket information more closely. The groups were split up and 3 minor children were flying into Ft. Lauderdale alone :mad: and they refused to change our flights! Same thing happened on our way home. Get this though, the under 18 group leaving from Ft. Lauderdale were leaving AFTER the adults plane leaves Miami. Unacceptable!. :eek: After way too much time spent on phones and emails we at least got the return flights changed to where they left before us.

What a nightmare. So, don't feel too bad, it could be much worse

AA changed our flights too :rolleyes: All I had to do was call them up (btw i found it ..checking up on their website...they didn't notify us) They where really nice changed our flight for us still not perfect but it will have to do i also asked if between now and when we do fly if it changes again to a better time could we have them change it without a fuss and they said yes....so who knows :) so far so good least they are willing to work with you and to top it all off when they changed the time on us the new flight we where put on was over 1300.00 more than what we PAID:eek: kudos aa

Yeah, American Airline isn't the exactly the most dependable airline. I flew to Orlando for my July 1 cruise with AA. Boy, was I glad to fly in the day before because we had to take a connecting flight from Dallas to Orlando. I live in Vancouver, so while flying from Vancouver to Dallas, the arrival time was delayed while we were still in the air. We landed in Oklahoma for about an hour or so and then headed to Dallas. When we got there, it was obvious the workers had no idea what was going on. The first agent gave us the totally wrong information for the next flight to Orlando. Then the second agent gave us the wrong gate number. When we got to the right gate, we were put on standby for seats.

By the time we arrived in Orlando, it was 1:30 a.m. in the morning.

I also had a flight change to Miami that I found myself by looking on Delta website. I booked this myself for 11 pax and we are flying the day before. They changed my leaving time by 1 hr and had me on a connecting flight in atlanta in which I would be arriving in Atlanta AFTER the plane left ( therfore I wouldn't even be able to make the atlanta flight to Miami! DUH! On my return flight ( originally was 10:20am, which is pushing it to start with but do able) was changed to leaving Miami at 9:20am. I called Delta and ask them how I was to catch the plane in Atlanta, when they saw the mistake, they left me choose the times I wanted on my departing and return flights. I ask them why I wasn't notified of the change, I was told they have an automatic calling that notifies customers, but since my flight is in Oct 2007, I would of gotten a call in SEPT. I explained by Sept. the flights would have been close to being overbooked and I highly doubt that I would be able to get 11 seats that close to departure! This happens all the time, and usually they will work with you to rearrange your times.

We booked the East Carribean Cruise on MOS in early Dec. We used our mileage to obtain free tickets from AA to fly from Vancouver - Orlando, with stop over in LAX. Since we are traveling with one 4 year old and 1 one year old, we are particular with seat selection and assigned our seat on AA web site.

Yesterday when I check the web, I suddenly noted our seat assignment was changed. Further research showed the flight schedule was chaned too. As a matter of fact, AA changed the entire booking and put us on different flight. The arrival time and connection actually worked out better than before. I went into AA's web site to re-assign our seats and noted they actually changed the aircraft type - it is the reason that you initially assigned seats were gone.

Since it is still for Dec, the flight is literarily empty. I have no problem to secure again the seats we want. It was changed to a larger two aisle airplane, so it supposed to be more comfortable and more room to walk around.

I guess I get very lucky this time. But two things to learn from the incident:

1. Always arrive at least one day early so the schedule change does not effect you too much.

2. Even you have done your seat selection, you need to check back regularly as the airline does wipe out you selection when they change air craft type / or maybe schedule / routings. We did not receive any notice.

AA now changes $15 when you call in to ask the reservation agent to make your seat selection. But if you go on their web site, you can pull out the actual flight seatmap and select seats with no extra charge.

If you are not familiar with aircraft types and need to know what kind of seats are better, there is a web site called www.seatguru.com that lists most major airlines' seat configuration by aircraft type and gives yuo detail inside on which seats are more preferred and why.

Good luck and happy flying and cruising.

Fellow CC posters, please keep AA busy so they cannot locate my missing luggage from a 5/15/2007 flight :D They still have one more month to "look for it" before reviewing and approving or denying my claim :mad: Since I had no option but to replace everything, I really hope their search is unsuccessful ;)

For those of you that have read my story over and over, sorry, when someone brings up AA, I just have to vent :cool:

###

Archived