Table Mates

ragwing

For a *REALLY* fun read, check out the "Worst Table Mates" thread over on The Royal Caribbean board. LOL!!

DW and I have never really had any had and "bad" table mates in our short (but mighty) cruising career.

Our first cruise brought us together with a mother, her son-in-law and two DROP DEAD GORGEOUS daughters who at first seemed aloof and "superior".

I must say I thought we were in for a bit of a time with them but it turned out they were some of the nicest table/cruise mates we could find.

Our last cruise (Journey 5/26) found us in the company of just wonderful people. I truly miss them.

I still remember "Nona" the nicest lady whoever pushed a walker. We had some outstanding conversations over dinner, what a hoot.

Anyone else care to share?

That's what's nice about "open seating". If you have really awful table mates you never have to sit with them again, but if you dine with some people and you just "click" with them, you can make arrangements to dine with them again and again.

That's what's nice about "open seating". If you have really awful table mates you never have to sit with them again, but if you dine with some people and you just "click" with them, you can make arrangements to dine with them again and again.

I'm kinda' comin around to the notion of this open seating and for just the reasons you state.

I really still like the formal nights and getting all dressed up though.

If I can keep my stomach in one place, I'd like to sail on the QMII across the atlantic with the formal nights they have.

WHERE'S MY WRISTBANDS!!! LOL!!

Last year, we were on the Pride of Hawaii, and (I agree) thank goodness for open seating, as we only sat with this couple for one night. They were in their early 30's, and it was their first cruise. The guy order edEVERY ENTREE, and then proceeded to ask for seconds of one of them. (Five total dinners!):eek: My wife and I stared with slack jaws the entire dinner, while he said he wanted to get 'his money's worth'!

Can't wait for the Journey!

On a cruise to the Caribbean 2 yrs ago, we requested a table for 4. The first night we went to the dining room, and there were 6 chairs. We waited a little while and this couple comes up to our table. We had never dined with anyone else before so were a little nervous about it. To make a long story short, they turned out to be a very nice couple from Wales, who told us a lot about their lives there and asked us a lot about the US. We even taught them some slang. As I sit here writing this I have to laugh at the husband saying, "That's hot."

Last year, we were on the Pride of Hawaii, and (I agree) thank goodness for open seating, as we only sat with this couple for one night. They were in their early 30's, and it was their first cruise. The guy order edEVERY ENTREE, and then proceeded to ask for seconds of one of them. (Five total dinners!):eek: My wife and I stared with slack jaws the entire dinner, while he said he wanted to get 'his money's worth'!

Can't wait for the Journey!

LOL!!

I'd be slack jawed as well.

I have enough trouble keeing my weight within "limits" as it is.. !!

I guess we've been really lucky with our tablemates.

Some people have stated they've had to request a change in table seating because of "issues" with other guests..

We're taking our first RCI cruise next year and this time, we're requesting a table for two just to see how it works out.

[..... As I sit here writing this I have to laugh at the husband saying, "That's hot."

LOL!!

Somewhere in Wales there's a guy going "That's Hot" !!!

:D

You know I hadn't thought about that till I looked at these postings. I am still laughing about it. I wish I could remember what else I told him. I know he laughed out loud every night. They were such nice people. Another thing I remember, he came with a tux on every night, and she was quite the dresser too! That was one of the best times I ever had.

Oh, that's hilarious. "That's Hot" with a Welsh accent!

Question though - what Welsh slang did YOU learn? Something about Tom Jones, I'll bet.

You know I can't remember what slang they told us. Some names for different foods, but nothing quite as good as what I told them. Haha I am bad..................:eek:

Only once did we change tables..because wwewanted larger than a table for four..but passing the "rejected" couple in a common area was a bit uncomfortable,,not that they really cared..how would I know?

Harry

I thought that as well, when I passed the 30 year-old firefighter who had eaten the five dinners the night before.

I don't think he felt rejected at all - he was too busy staring at the three lobsters in front of him that night as well. Sheesh! Go to the buffet!:D

Good Point! We may just try your approach on our next sailing. On our previous nine cruises we've always opted for traditional dining and always requested a large table (there is a greater chance that there is at least one other couple with whom we are compatible). Actually, we have never had table mates who were "really awful" - not to say that can't happen, and if it did, we would most definitely would have requested a table change which is generally easy to arrange. In fact once have we did request a table change - a table for eight at which one of the couples were "no shows" for the entire ten-night cruise (thus making it a table for six), and the other two couples, while being very nice folks who amongst themselves had a lot in common, simply did not "click" with DW and I. We've also experienced the situation where some people take a few nights to "warm-up" and, once they have come out of their shell, have turned out to be delightful dining companions. I think the drawback is that in open seating, unless you "click" with someone else relatively early in the voyage you may spend every night with a completely different set of table-mates and have to go thru the same mantra night after night "Hi my name is XXX. This is my wife XXX. Were from XXXX. I'm a XXX and my wife is XXX. We have XX children, etc, etc, etc".

John F. :)

P.S. Note to Jim (aka Ragwing) - We're ex-Morris County having lived in Papy, Mt. Lakes and Ledgewood. In many ways we miss NJ a lot.

P.S. Note to Jim (aka Ragwing) - We're ex-Morris County having lived in Papy, Mt. Lakes and Ledgewood. In many ways we miss NJ a lot.

I love Northern NJ, always glad to hear from other "bretheren", former or current!

Archived