Skagway - Pan for Gold/Good place to eat lunch

20YearsBetweenCruises

In Skagway, we'll be renting a car & going up to Emerald Lake. But I also want to take my kids to a gold mining place so they can "pan for gold". In the NCL book it takes about a place called Liarsville. Anyone been there? Are there other places? I figured it will be touristy, but that's the kind of stuff my kids like!

Also, while we are on the road going to Emerald Lake, what is a good place to stop for lunch. I think I saw this once on a thread, but I can't find it now. Maybe someone said there was a lodge at Emerald Lake? And I seem to recall some discussions of a Cinnamon shop that we should stop at?

And while I'm on the subject. Is going to Emerald Lake the farthest we should go? Is ther anything to see in Whitehorse?

NCL Spirit 6/4/04

Carnival? 9/1984

Carcross has food and probably the lodge is Spirt Lake lodge?? Liarsville is about mile 3 out of Skagway- totally fake but your kids will enjoy it. there also used to be panning on Broadway down several blocks, didn't get there last year so I don't know if they still are there??

You can pan for gold at both Liarsville and the Klondike Gold Dredge. The dredge is right after you cross the Skagway River on the way out, Liarsville off on a side road (no signs to it) another mile or so.

The best 2 places to eat are the Cinnamon Cache and Spirit Lake Lodge - both of them are between Carcross and Emerald Lake.

There's lots to see and do in Whitehorse, but it makes for an extremely long day and the extra hour+ of driving isn't worth it - you could easily spend several days between Skagway and Emerald Lake.

Murray

Thanks BudgetQueen & Yukon! I'll skip Whitehorse. Yukon, I've printed your mile-by-mile guide (20+ pages!) to take with me.

I wonder why that Liarsville is not well advertised? It is listed in the NCL guide, but they don't seem to have a web site & it wasn't in the Skagway book that I got from the chamber of commerence.

NCL Spirit 6/4/04

Carnival? 9/1984

My 8 year old enjoyed LIarsville, and the show they put on, but the gold panning was extremely lame.(you'll pan for gold in troughs) We had a much better experience in Juneau at a beautiful old gold mine.

Archived