McKinley/Whittier Touring

stephenandrew

Hi--
We are on a Princess Cruise Tour and are scheduled to arrive at the McKinley Lodge on July 25 at 6:15PM. Unfortunately, we have to depart the following day at 7:30AM to go to Whittier. Can anyone recommend a tour or something worth while to explore on the evening we are at MicKinley? The Princess Alaska Book lists a number of tours, but not sure which, if any, are offered in the evening. Also, according to the itinerary we have, we are due to arrive in Whittier around noon, but the ship does not leave till 10:00PM. Any suggestions about what we might want to take a look at as we have the entire day in Whittier? As always, thanks.

the only evening tour I remember was a hay wagon ride. We actually went on it, booked it earlier that morning and had a blast, but it was just the five of us in the group and the two guides. You went for a short ride and stopped at a place where you panned for gold, roasted marshmallows and learned a little "lore" and saw a reindeer. Then they drove us to a spot where we would have had a fabulous view of Denali, but the mountain wasn't "out".

From what I've heard, there isn't a lot to do in the town of Whittier. But, you could go on one of the boat tours (Phillips 26 glacier tour). It sounds good and I've seen some amazing photographs.

I would shuttle into Talkeetna- about 50 miles have a nice dinner etc. and take the last shuttle back. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] If possible consider a flight- they run in the evening- but of course you need to make sure of the shuttle time.

Archived