Nordam Panama Canal / Viewing Help

alki_feek

We will be going through the Panama Canal in October and have an inside room. Where is the best place to sit during the cruise of the Panama Canal? What deck? Which side? How soon should you go out there? Any tips?

Best place for an inside seat. in air conditioning, is the Crow's Nest, as close to the middle of the lounge as possible. It is not too far from there to an open outside deck if one wanted to leave briefly to take pictures.

Get there as early as possible for a seat. Rolls and coffee/tea/juice are usually served on the forward decks and often in the Crow's Nest as well.

The sun and heat can be extreme. There have been times we sailed the Panama Canal and couldn't enjoy being outside for very long but other times we stayed out a good part of the day. When the temps are high and the humidity heavy, it can be uncomfortable. It's not that many degrees north of the equator.

If you wish to be outside, I expect they will open access to the bow. It would be wonderful to view the transit from Noordam's bow.

The sun and heat can be extreme. There have been times we sailed the Panama Canal and couldn't enjoy being outside for very long but other times we stayed out a good part of the day. When the temps are high and the humidity heavy, it can be uncomfortable. It's not that many degrees north of the equator.

If you wish to be outside, I expect they will open access to the bow. It would be wonderful to view the transit from Noordam's bow.

Also to the sun and heat add rain. I have never been thru the canal without having at least one rain shower and sometimes more. One thing to remember is that it takes about 10 hours to transit the canal. The only time the decks get really crowded is when entering and leaving the locks. Most people tend to disappear and go about ship activities during the transit between the locks. Only the diehards camp out on deck for all 10 hours. I am mostly a die hard!!!:eek:

We've transited the canal twice (both times in November)...

The first time we went through it was on NCL & our Captain anchored overnight just before the locks so our ship was the first to go through in the early a.m..

DH & I were traveling with another couple & my friend & I got out on deck at 5:a.m. to stake out our place forward & at the rail...By the time our DH's got out on deck it was 10 deep behind us..Then we had a downpour, as usual..Our DH's passed rain jackets to us through the crowd, as we could not leave the rail or we would have lost our place.;)

The second time we stayed out on the Promenade deck...We also enjoy being outside, but as Sail said it can be very hot, so be sure to wear a good sun block & hat...If they have the forward bow deck open, try to get out there & make it very early to get a good view..

Enjoy your cruise..:) Betty

Definitely have to be up early - especially when entering from the west coast so that you can watch as you pass under the Bridge of Americas.

The bow is the best place to be when going through the locks. Some of the best pictures that I have taken of the mules working have been from the promenade Deck.

The very best viewing area is at the bow of the ship.

This deck area is open during the transit.

coffee and cold drinks in the morning.

Luncheon is served on the deck for most of the afternoon.

Just make sure you protect yourself from the sun.

A large part of the area is a rain forest. It is very warm. You might get a short shower of rain.

Others have posted about the crowds lined up at a rail on an open deck and this is most certainly true, particularly for the first set of locks or two. It has been my experience that by the time the ship gets to the last set of locks, interest has lessened and the crowds, if any, are not as large.

One thing that I noticed that I missed from my last transit through the locks, which was on the Volendam, as compared to my first transit which was on the old Royal Princess, a smaller vessel: On the Volendam, I spent the day either in the Crow's Nest or on the outer upper decks. Reflecting upon the transit afterwards, I realized that I had missed the feeling of being raised or lowered in the locks because I was so high up on the ship. Being on a lower deck of the ship one can see the changing position of the lock walls which, on Royal Princess, I found to be an interesting experience. Therefore, I don't suggest staying in one spot for hours on end during the transit.

Archived