Favourite Towns in Provence

For all you experienced French travelers, what are some of your favourite places to visit in Provence? next month we will have three nights in St. Paul de Vence and a week in Lourmarin. Grasse, Aix en Provence, Arles all come to mind, any other favourites?

Gosh, I don't think you can go wrong anywhere in Provence!

We spent a week last month, mostly in small village near Orange and loved every place we visited. Arles is particularly nice. And it was especially beautiful around St Remy. If you have a chance try to visit the Sunday market at L'Isle sur la Sorgue - it's incredible.

Geez, I could fill a book with great places in Provence (I think a few have already done this task). I would agree with the other post about St Remy, and than there is Aix en Provence, Avignon (great place to spend a few days), Les Baux, Orange, the Rhone area around Chateuneuf de Pape (for wine lovers), Arles, and it goes on and on. Its why many travelers like to spend days or weeks based in Provence (count us in that club).

Hank

Les Baux is wonderful! Tarascon is a quaint town on the Rhone with a castle you can tour. Be sure to find out which town has its market on which days. The outdoor markets are great! Enjoy -I'm jealous!

I love Aix, Arles and would love to return to L'Isle Sur La Sorgue; also liked Roussillon and Fountaine de Vaucluse. But try to visit some of the lesser known towns too. If you like the markets do an online search of the market days for the towns you want to visit and plan accordingly. The Saturday market in Aix is great fun, as is the one in Arles. :)

Regarding Chateau D;If, if its a nice day and you have some extra time its a pleasant little trip. The Chateau might be fun for a kid because you climb the steps to the top where you do get a nice view. But, there really is not much there and the best part was just the boat ride.

Hank

Archived