PASSPORT how do I know I need one?

tamariadawn

10/4/04 My husband and I are going on The DAWN PRINCESS W/E Carribean with two ports of call we never visited before: Isla Margarita, Venezuela and Dominica (Jamaica?).

I am filling out some form for immigration. Usually, a USA drivers license and a certified (bumpy copy) birth certificate is good enough. If "passport number" is a blank to fill in does that mean that we HAVE TO have one?

I tried checking http://www.princess.com for FAQ's but did not see any info on passports.

Tamariadawn@yahoo.com

Generally speaking, none of those ports require a passport for cruise passengers. You also don't need one for Mexican Riviera cruises, Canada cruises, Alaska and Panama Canal. If you're doing anything other than those, you will need a passport. But, it's always BEST to have a passport no matter where you cruise.

In checking some tour websites, it appears that Dominca and Venezuela do require passports. You may wish to call Princess to confirm, but if you travel outside the US, you should have a passport

Friends of mine booked a cruise for March 2005 through AAA. They were informed of a rumor that as of January 1, 2005, passports will be required for all cruises. AAA are telling their clients to get a passport, better to be safe than sorry.

As of April 2004, Holland America was requiring their passengers to have passports for their Panama Canal cruise.

I would call your TA or Princess to confirm or just get the passports, better to get them now than to scramble at the last minute if you find you need them.

I never leave home without mine, even if I travel in the US, now a days, you just never know what could happen.

A passport is a darned good thing to have for several reasons. First, you never have to worry about local rules and regulations. Second, it makes getting through security, boarding, and other "line up and show your papers" events much easier and far less stressful. Third, they are good for 10 years (US) so the cost isn't such a big deal. Fourth, if worst really comes to worst in a foreign country, it's the best way to prove your ID.

Agree. I also use my Passport for domestic travel, as well as foreign travel. BTW - Domenica is nowhere near Jamaica. It is a small island in the Antilles chain...not far from St. Lucia, and is also British. It's pronounced Do men EE-ca. (not Do-MEN-ica). Sorry for the "lesson", but I've been there a few times. It's not very developed, but ever since it's been picked up as a cruise ship port, attempts are being made to modernize it.

10/4/04 My husband and I are going on The DAWN PRINCESS W/E Carribean with two ports of call we never visited before: Isla Margarita, Venezuela and Dominica (Jamaica?).

I am filling out some form for immigration. Usually, a USA drivers license and a certified (bumpy copy) birth certificate is good enough. If "passport number" is a blank to fill in does that mean that we HAVE TO have one?

I tried checking http://www.princess.com for FAQ's but did not see any info on passports.

Tamariadawn@yahoo.com

You say you are on the 10/4/04 Dawn Princess calling on Isla Margarita and Dominica? I am a little confused as the 10/4/04 Itinerary does not include these 2 ports.Dawn 10/4/04 Itinerary The 10/14/04 did include these ports, but as of July, Isla Margarita has been dropped. Dawn 10/14/04 Itinerary I am on the 10/14/04 Dawn.

I am not positive, but I do not believe a passport is required and your DL & Certified Birth Cert will due for a cruise to the Carribean but as others have posted a passport does make all travel much easier.

Archived