Why transfer bookings?

ocsuzie

I have read that some people book a cruise directly with the cruise line and transfer the booking to a travel agent. What advantage is there in doing this? Is there a time limit after booking the cruise that you can transfer it to an agency?

A lot of people build a good business relationship with there agent and they prefer to know who's handling there trip. And if something goes wrong they know they have an advocate working for them to get things resolved versus a cruiseline employee who when push comes to shove will do what benefits his company first and the customer second. Take care.

Mostly for money!!!! For instance if you book online with Disney you get $25 OBC, then you can transfer to several TAs who will give up to $200 more OBC or other perks. They book on the ship for 10% off and $250 OBC, then they can add the OBC to it from the TA.

Other less expensive cruises, you can still get perks from the TA.

I book thru a PVP and then before final payment I will transfer the booking to a TA. There is always a chance I will have to change or cancel and its easier to do directly thru Carnival.

There are lots of reasons, but the bottom line for 95% of folks doing it is more money in their pockets.

You should be able to move the booking anytime you want prior to final payment.

Sometimes people book the cruise themselves because they don't yet have an agent or want to get all of the details directly from the cruise line. Many times an agent can provide a few little perks.

Keith

What kind of perks usually depends on the length of the cruise, the overall cost, the cruise line that you book with, if the TA is affiliated with a travel consortium and what the TA likes to do to attract and retain customers.

It can include an on board credit to a gift to pre paid gratutities.

Keith

We used the same TA several times, until I realized that I could book them myself. The last time we used her was 2001, and it was a small agency then. That being said, every time we used her we always had some kind of welcome basket in the cabin for cruises and our 1 land vac she got us upgraded to a better room. The last time we used her (land vac) our luggage was lost and never returned, she never called the airlines about it. I don't know if she could have done anything. I wasn't mad at her about it, she always made me feel put off looking for other vacs. Maybe I will give her a call when it comes to final payment.

Thanks for the info

I've been on only two cruises, and both were booked with the same agent. We did have a nice gift of two bottles of wine and dinner in the specialty restaurant in our cabin for the second cruise we booked with her. This upcoming cruise, we booked directly through the cruise line, and the price was so good, I don't know if an agent could possible add anything to it to make it better! Final payment isn't until September, so I should check it out. Thanks to everyone for the information.

I've been on only two cruises, and both were booked with the same agent. We did have a nice gift of two bottles of wine and dinner in the specialty restaurant in our cabin for the second cruise we booked with her. This upcoming cruise, we booked directly through the cruise line, and the price was so good, I don't know if an agent could possible add anything to it to make it better! Final payment isn't until September, so I should check it out. Thanks to everyone for the information.

Call your agent and ask her what she'll do for you if you transfer the booking to her. The worst she can say is nothing, which is what you'd get if you didn't ask. The last few cruises we've booked while on the ship to get the OBC then transfered to our TA. Give it a try, won't cost you anything.

Archived