Duty Free On Board Booze Purchases

jaxson

When we sailed on the Zuiderdam in July'03, we were able to take all our onboard booze purchases from the gift shop back to our suite. Is this no longer the case? We were told it was because of a lack of storage space.

Any booze you buy in the ship's store or that you try to bring on the ship when you embark or buy in a port will be confiscated and held until the last night of your cruise. You may bring on wine and champagne for in-cabin consumption.

You may order whatever alcohol you would like in your room either from Ships Services before you leave home or from Room Service when you are on the ship and it will be delivered to your cabin.

... we were able to take all our onboard booze purchases from the gift shop back to our suite.
Very unusual! Recent posts have led me to believe HAL is even more particular now than they used to be ... and I have seen them regularly set on-ship and shoreside purchases aside for storage.

Very unusual! Recent posts have led me to believe HAL is even more particular now than they used to be ... and I have seen them regularly set on-ship and shoreside purchases aside for storage.

Jaxson was relating what it was like in JULY '03 when you could take duty free alcohol purchased in the gift shop back to your cabin. HAL's alcohol policy changed after that in 2004.

Jaxson was relating what it was like in JULY '03 when you could take duty free alcohol purchased in the gift shop back to your cabin. HAL's alcohol policy changed after that in 2004.

Oh, man ... what about duty free cartons of cigarettes? Can you take them back to your stateroom if you buy them onboard, or will I need to buy a carton before I go for shipboard consumption?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Not a smoker - but I bet you can take that back to your cabin. It's not like the alcohol where HAL is afraid that you might not buy drinks at the bar.

Until Feb 2004, you were able to buy alcohol in the ship's boutique at a very resonable price (duty free) to take back to your cabin for in-room consumption. If you buy any alcohol in the botiques now, they will hold it for you until the last evening of the cruise.

Okay, so...

If you buy from an onboard boutique they will keep it until the end of the cruise.

You can order from room service? A whole bottle? Is it still at the duty-free price?

A friend of ours said they asked their cabin steward and he delivered it to the room.

Also, it is partially about the $$ for HAL but what if they are also trying to protect against minors soliciting people to go buy alcohol for them. That could be part of the reason for the change. (although it is probably about the money they lose)

Archived