Zuiderdam vs. Westerdam-Which one?

COLandlocked

If you had to choice, which one would you pick? January 2008 sailing in, hopefully, aft suite cabin?

Have been on the Zuiderdam and loved it (in a aft corner suite). Have been reading about the retrofit on the Westerdam and not sure now? Both itinaries would be fine, Westerdam a bit better.

Any help from the ones that know?

Thanks!

Hi,

Before you get your heart set on a particular cruise please check to see that either ship is not chartered for the week you want. We've heard that some of the Vista ships have full ship charters for some weeks in January and February.

I've been on Westerdam and am going again in October. Except for the refit I don't know of any big difference betwewen Westerdam and Zuiderdam. Each ship has its' group of loyalists, so I'd say choose by itinerary and price.

GN

Both of those ships seems to charter out a lot during that time of year, so I'd start with doing a Google search with the ship and dates. We were thinking about doing a cruise next Jan/Feb, so I started looking around and found several dates that popped up as charters.

And check the "stickies" at the top of the foruum...I believe there was a thread with info on charters.

Twinkletoes4445,

Thanks, it does come up as chartered for a Dermotology conference. Not sure what to do. This is the itinary we really like but am concerned that the ship will be geared towards this group.

There are only two posts on the roll call. I did check the sticky and it is listed there too.

Very dissappointed. Really want to do Grand Turk and St. Maarteen. Two places we have not been.

Can you tell how many people are part of a charter?

Twinkletoes4445,

Thanks, it does come up as chartered for a Dermotology conference. Not sure what to do. This is the itinary we really like but am concerned that the ship will be geared towards this group.

There are only two posts on the roll call. I did check the sticky and it is listed there too.

Very dissappointed. Really want to do Grand Turk and St. Maarteen. Two places we have not been.

Can you tell how many people are part of a charter?

If it's a charter, you have to be part of the group to be on the cruise. A charter books the whole ship.

If it's just a group, and there will be groups on every cruise...the sizes just vary.

I'd not panic too much at this point. You might contact the group and see how many people they expect at their conference (maybe act as if you want to book with them-not that you're already booked and are just looking for info). We had computer "Geeks" on our cruise, and you would have never known it. We only found out when we got to chatting with a couple and they told us this.

We also didn't have many people on our roll call thread. If there were large groups on our cruise, we didn't notice.

There has been discussion about a group that was able to block off the Crow's Nest during the day during most of the cruise, but I don't think you'd have to worry about this with a group like this. They probably have seminars on the ship, but I don't think it will be anything you notice (unless there are 1200 of them). Like I said, we had computer geeks, and I know they had meetings and classes...where, I don't know...but we didn't see them.

I'd just do a little snooping around and not get too worried at this point. If it is a real "charter" then you will be bumped, but doesn't sound like a charter...but rather a "group" of people crusing on your date. Call the organazation and just ask how many they are expecting for this. They may have a certain number of cabins being held until a specific date...and then lose them if they don't fill them. I don't know if this is how it works...but it's a thought. :)

I know I am going out on a limb here...but I think you're probably safe at this time (from being bumped by a charter-you're only five or so months out). When someone charters the ship...they buy all the cabins. So it doesn't matter if they sell them all, HAL has the money. So in order to do this, these charters have to be advertised in advance so they can sell all the cabins.

I did a google search and all I could find is info about continuing educations classes for the dermatologists. I didn't see anything that sounded like a charter. I could be wrong, but I feel you have no worries, but I do understand your concern...we thought about these issues when we were trying to decide what to do next winter. Enjoy your cruise! :)

I also found this thread where posters are talking about continuing education classes and the sizes. It looks like you're not going to even notice this group is on the ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=11072076

As for the ships...we debated which one. We ended up going with the Zuiderdam because we wanted to cruise from Sat. to Sat. and we also liked the itinerary, but if the Z hadn't worked out, we would have done the Westerdam and I am sure, we would have had as good of a time as we did on the Z. We were also cruising over Super Bowl weekend (something I didn't realize when I booked the cruise). I don't think the SB is in Miami again this year, but if it is...I'd avoid that weekend if you can. I've also read that President's Day week has more kids on the ship, if you are looking for a cruise that has more young folks onboard. We didn't see but a handful of kids on our cruise. I believe our cruise left on 2/10, but I don't remember for sure.

I've been on the Westerdam and LOVED it... and would love to see what's changed.

But the Zuiderdam would be the only Vista I haven't been on so...

That's a tough one...

Pick by itinerary. If they're both the same or the differences aren't a big deal to you... Try the Westerdam since you've aready seen the Zuider

It looks to me like the Zuiderdam is sailing 1/5,1/12 and 1/19. This means the late January sail is a charter.

The Westerdam is sailing 1/6 and 1/27, meaning the time in between are charters.

You might be able to board a charter cruise , if you make your booking with the charter agent. If memory serves me, at least two of these charters are jazz cruises. They will cost more due to the special entertainment. People rave about the charter cruises.

Given you want an aft balcony, they are increasingly some of the first cabins to be booked. So chop-chop. The early bird catches the aft cabin. :)

Twinkletoes4445-

Not sure how to say thank you! Your reply was amazing and it is nice to know that strangers care (I am usually the one the bend over backwards to help others and it is nice when it happens in return).

I just called HAL and put the cruise on hold and think I will take your advice. I also posted on the other thread as one of the posters there is taking the classes on this particular cruise.

We very much enjoyed the Zuiderdam, and have since done one RCCL and one Princess but none have compared to our first on HAL. I think we have found that HAL is where we want to be and the Westerdam is the itinerary we want for this cruise.

You made what was a long stressful day (work) end so much better!

Thanks!

IntheWAside & hammybee & others--

I got the SC aft corner for the 1/6/08 sailing! If you haven't done the Zuiderdam, I highly suggest you book it soon. It was fabulous. As I said above, we have done 3 cruises so far (yes, I got hooked and can't imagine taking a vacation other then a cruise, well maybe back to Paris) and we loved HAL the best.

My son who was 5 at the time loved it so much that he gets really disappointed when we book something else. It is amazing how much he remembers of it and how much he wants to go back. He likes the HAL kids club more then any other club we have been too. That says a lot to me.

Thanks again for all your wisdom (this is why I am love this board and yes, I am a closet lurker).

Melissa

Twinkletoes4445-

Not sure how to say thank you! Your reply was amazing and it is nice to know that strangers care (I am usually the one the bend over backwards to help others and it is nice when it happens in return).

I just called HAL and put the cruise on hold and think I will take your advice. I also posted on the other thread as one of the posters there is taking the classes on this particular cruise.

We very much enjoyed the Zuiderdam, and have since done one RCCL and one Princess but none have compared to our first on HAL. I think we have found that HAL is where we want to be and the Westerdam is the itinerary we want for this cruise.

You made what was a long stressful day (work) end so much better!

Thanks!

I was happy to help!

I've gotten so much wonderful advice here, and like you, I'm happy to be able to help others, when I can. :)

This whole group/charter thing is new to me, but I believe if you do a little legwork in advance, you'll probably be able to avoid most of the problems associated with these two issues. And I really believe that at this point, most charters have been set for the early winter season.

And in all honesty...our Zuiderdam cruise was probably one of our most favorite vacations. Everything was perfect. We didn't have a single complaint.

Have a great cruise! :)

Archived