Dress for dinner - QE2

leslie drew

Can someone please explain to me where the 'suit' part of wearing a bathing suit comes into play?:confused: After coming out of the hottub earlier this evening I didn't see anyone who would pass as being dressed well (Wadadli1 being the exception).:p

Paul

I personally like wearing the tux or dinner jacket on formal nights. To me it's a part of cruising. Plus they never really go out of style, although I have purchased several pairs over the years. I think the salt air shrinks them.

Ah, the salt air! So that's what's been shrinking my cruise wardrobe!!!!!:D

Kathy

Can someone please explain to me where the 'suit' part of wearing a bathing suit comes into play?:confused: After coming out of the hottub earlier this evening I didn't see anyone who would pass as being dressed well (Wadadli1 being the exception).:p

Paul

While we're on it, I have never understood the concept (or rather who originally thought this up) of a PAIR of pants. After all, we don't wair a PAIR of bras, (which certainly makes more sense <LOL>) or a PAIR of blouses (with two arms, like the two legs of pants) so why a PAIR of pants?

Just one of those things one ponders at 2:30 AM, when working the night shift with no work scheduled!

Karie,

who is... working night shift with no work scheduled!

Sorry to interrupt all the levity/chain pulling/flushing, but can we get back to the topic of apparel for a moment? On the distaff side (and where did that term come from!!??), I'm reading about how 'formal' QE2 is and it sets me to wondering - can anyone tell me if, or how, ladies' formalwear on the Q (on crossings) differs at all from what's seen Seabourn or SIlversea? Thanks!

Sorry to interrupt all the levity/chain pulling/flushing, but can we get back to the topic of apparel for a moment? On the distaff side (and where did that term come from!!??), I'm reading about how 'formal' QE2 is and it sets me to wondering - can anyone tell me if, or how, ladies' formalwear on the Q (on crossings) differs at all from what's seen Seabourn or SIlversea? Thanks!

i may be wrong but as far as i know you don't have to dress up for seabourn al all.

i was watching an advert for seabourn on the tv in the cabin on qe2 and was struck by how posh and expensive it looked except you can wear shorts and t-shirt for dinner!

as i say, i may be mistaken,

glenn.

We did a TA on Seabourn 2 years ago. People certainly dressed for dinner in the dining room. We just did not have as many designated formal nights as you might have on Cunard. Men wore jackets and ties (alternatively tuxedos) and women were dressed in formal or semi formal wear. We did have an outdoor barbeque one evening--obviously casual. There was an alternative dining venue where the dress code was much more casual.

This, is a tuxedo:

http://images.google.com/images?q=tuxedo+photos&hl=en&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2006-26,GGLR:en&um=1&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title

This is a dinner jacket (the white one's):

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&rls=GGLR%2CGGLR%3A2006-26%2CGGLR%3Aen&q=dinner+jacket+photos

Dinner jackets, from what I have read, should only be worn in summer or warm climes. The only difference when wearing a dinner jacket as opposed to the traditional black jacket worn with the complete tuxedo ensemble is two-fold. One, that a dinner jacket is almost always white (these days, although I remember those fashion disasters of the 70s) and, two, it does not have a satin lapel. It is still worn with a "tuxedo" shirt (pleated or not, wing collar or not), "tuxedo" (bow or straight) tie, formal pants, (slacks, trousers, etc.) usually with a satin stripe down each leg. Please wear patent leather pumps or lace-up shoes.

this is a business suit:

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&rls=GGLR%2CGGLR%3A2006-26%2CGGLR%3Aen&q=mens+business+suit+photo

your guess is as good as mine as to what a "lounge" suit is. When I first heard the term I thought of those ghastly leisure suit things from the 70s. Then I had to lie down with a cold towel over my eyes.

Hope all this helps.

your guess is as good as mine as to what a "lounge" suit is. When I first heard the term I thought of those ghastly leisure suit things from the 70s. Then I had to lie down with a cold towel over my eyes.

A lounge suit is, in effect, what you call a business suit. It's a slightly old fashioned expression on this side of the pond.

An English Gentleman would not refer to a "tux" - as it is an American term and an English Gentleman is secure in the knowledge that to be born English is the greatest gift that there is. (Whether he is right is another question......) He would refer to a Dinner Jacket, or dress suit. More likely he'd not call it anything, merely arrive properly attired.....

Gieves and Hawkes are clear that a Dinner Jacket is a black or Midnight Blue colour.

However, back in the real world I think we all know that:

tux=dinner jacket=DJ=Dress Suit=Dinner suit=black tie. Each of us might have a slightly different use of vocabularly, but the effective equivalence is known.

business suit=lounge suit=suit. I think this should be equally clear.

I think the references that Cunard make using American English are probably sensible. Not only do the rest of the world realise what these terms mean in practice, but (huge generalisation - forgive me) the tendency to want to be more casual is more American than European.

As we have so often said, two countries separated by a common language!

Matthew

... As we have so often said, two countries separated by a common language!

Matthew

And, at least on Cunard ships, united by a common dress code! (Which may still be subject to witty disputation about minor details on these boards.)

Paul

So a dinner jacket to an American is white and a dinner suit therefore has white trousers, sorry pants.

Unless you wear a sequined thong. In that case it could be any colour and wouldn't show through the trousers:D

the only suit we wear while lounging is a bathing suit.

You mean one of those mid thigh to over the shoulder one pieces? I thought the only time you saw those was on the stage if a play was set in Edwardian times:D

:p

A lounge suit is, in effect, what you call a business suit. It's a slightly old fashioned expression on this side of the pond.

An English Gentleman would not refer to a "tux" - as it is an American term and an English Gentleman is secure in the knowledge that to be born English is the greatest gift that there is. (Whether he is right is another question......) He would refer to a Dinner Jacket, or dress suit. More likely he'd not call it anything, merely arrive properly attired.....

Gieves and Hawkes are clear that a Dinner Jacket is a black or Midnight Blue colour.

However, back in the real world I think we all know that:

tux=dinner jacket=DJ=Dress Suit=Dinner suit=black tie. Each of us might have a slightly different use of vocabularly, but the effective equivalence is known.

business suit=lounge suit=suit. I think this should be equally clear.

I think the references that Cunard make using American English are probably sensible. Not only do the rest of the world realise what these terms mean in practice, but (huge generalisation - forgive me) the tendency to want to be more casual is more American than European.

As we have so often said, two countries separated by a common language!

Matthew

And to think that I have always thought that dressing would be much simpler if one were male!!!:p

Nitty: On a 12 day cruise, Seabourn (like Silversea) will have 3-4 designated formal nights, and the majority of folks will adhere with tuxes typically outnumbering business suits. Both lines do offer alternative dining venues where the dress code is optional. On our recent Seabourn crossing, I have to admit I was surprised by the ultra-casual dinnerwear a few of the pax sported. Why sail a line, I wonder, where formality is part of the package if you don't want to go along with it???

So....on a QE2 crossing...how many nights are 'formal,' please?

Nitty: On a 12 day cruise, Seabourn (like Silversea) will have 3-4 designated formal nights, and the majority of folks will adhere with tuxes typically outnumbering business suits. Both lines do offer alternative dining venues where the dress code is optional. On our recent Seabourn crossing, I have to admit I was surprised by the ultra-casual dinnerwear a few of the pax sported. Why sail a line, I wonder, where formality is part of the package if you don't want to go along with it???

So....on a QE2 crossing...how many nights are 'formal,' please?

All bar first and last, which are "informal". For which read suit or (if you insist on dressing down) jacket and tie.

Matthew

i must have this totally wrong. it must have been another line i was looking at. i must admit, at the time i was surprised because the ship looked so nice.

glenn.

All bar first and last, which are "informal". For which read suit or (if you insist on dressing down) jacket and tie. Matthew

Naughty! Naughty! Stop making it up as you go along - Cunard define 'informal' as 'jacket and tie for men' (Your Voyage Guide, p.15.):rolleyes:

Peter

Naughty! Naughty! Stop making it up as you go along - Cunard define 'informal' as 'jacket and tie for men' (Your Voyage Guide, p.15.):rolleyes:

Peter

Peter,

How many actually wear jacket and tie rather than suit?

Jacket and tie is casual on QE2 surely?

Matthew

Empirical evidence suggests otherwise.

True. Most people do dress up more than the Elegant Casual guidelines suggest. However on Elegant Casual nights I've seen men with no jacket :( and no tie:eek: . That doesn't mean that an open necked shirt conforms to the dress code:)

My husband and I have done a transatlantic crossing. He was very comfortable wearing a tuxedo at dinner. We are doing the Los Angeles to New York via the Panama Canal segment of the QE2 world cruise starting 3/29/08. Since the weather will be hot for much of the voyage should he still wear the tux or is a dinner jacket more appropriate? Or both? Do women dress as formally on a warm weather cruise as they do on a transatlantic crossing? Long dresses every night? Thanks for your help.

Hi, My wife and I will be joining you on this cruise.What we discovered on our 12 day Med cruise on QM2, first night and last night of cruise will be casual,if it is a port day it will not be formal, it could be informal depending on the sailing time, but probably casual or elegant casual. This cruise has I think seven sea days so I would suppose the opportunity of seven formal nights, but I would guess five formal. Anyhow I will have my tux and my dark suit and my sports coat. My wife will have a gown and several of her great outfits of cocktail dresses, smart pantsuits and skirts too, enjoy your cruise.

Joel

Archived