Thank you... just back from 7/29 Explorer!

Orslaw

Will write a review later in the week, but wanted to thank you all right away for all of your help! Your tips and suggestions were GREAT and DH, DDs and I so much appreciate them.

What a cruise! Tropical storm Chantal and another system decided to cruise with us... pouring rain from the minute we got on the ship (on Sunday at 12:45) until about eleven on Tuesday in Bermuda. Two gorgeous days in Bermuda (thank God!) and then a weather system started on Wednesday night at about 8 p.m.: we had 40 mph winds!!! Confirmed by the oceangraphic lab tour the next day! But, we made the best of it all and it was quite an adventure.

Thank you again so much!

Orslaw and family

I was also on this cruise. In the near future I will write my own review. But quickly I will say this. This was my first on RC and my only other cruise was on Carnival Pride. I am not bashing RC but in my opinion Carnival is by far a better cruise when it comes to food and cabin size.

Did we have a great time, yes we did. Would I do another RC cruise, probably not. I was not the only person who did not thin RC was a good cruise line. Many other passengers I meet also said the same. Like I said earlier I will go into detail soon.

I was also on this cruise and had a GREAT time. Of course I wish the weather was better the first 2 days but that is something we can't control.

I love the Explorer and thought the food was very very good and the service was excellent as usual. The shows were very good also, and the Ice Show is new, only in it's second week and it was excellent.

Just back from the 7/29 explorer cruise to Bermuda. WE HAD A GREAT CRUISE! The ship handled the 1 1/2 days of rough sea and 40mph winds very well. A little rocking and rolling. Really no big deal; she is a very stable ship. We also had seas that were calm as glass and 2 1/2 very sunny days. We have dark sun tans to prove it. I saw dolphins and could hear them splashing in the water the second sea day at 6030AM. This made up for the clouds covering the sun rise. Never had a dull moment on the ship. The Ice show is a must see. The rock climbing wall is awesom. I am afraid of hights and the instuctors made me feel confident and safe. I love the solarium pool; no children rule strictly inforced and no lounge chair hogs allowed; the pool patrol was on top of all violators. This is my first cruise with RC (20+ cuises on others) I will book a cruise with RC in the future and will recommend RC to others. I word about staff: the most friendliest, accomodating cruise staff I have ever met. Never heard the words no, you cannot have/do that.:)

I love the solarium pool; no children rule strictly inforced and no lounge chair hogs allowed; the pool patrol was on top of all violators.

That's very good news!! So glad to hear it. We were aboard last Fall, and each time I tried to go in the solarium pool the kids were there splashing and screaming. It's the only pool that we oldsters can go to enjoy some calm waters, so I'm glad there will be a spot onboard for us as well. :)

I was also on this cruise. In the near future I will write my own review. But quickly I will say this. This was my first on RC and my only other cruise was on Carnival Pride. I am not bashing RC but in my opinion Carnival is by far a better cruise when it comes to food and cabin size.

Did we have a great time, yes we did. Would I do another RC cruise, probably not. I was not the only person who did not thin RC was a good cruise line. Many other passengers I meet also said the same. Like I said earlier I will go into detail soon.

Franncos

Did you bring wine with you on board?

Some comments-

Yes, at least we had 2 1/2 days of sun, I was grateful for that! And very happy that the 'good weather' happened while we were in port (although we did get quite drenched that first morning before heading out again in the afternoon).

I did not bring on wine as I figured it was only a 5 day cruise and I would only drink at dinner since I had an inside cabin.

**However, in our room there was an informational sheet that said there was a '$12 corkage fee' for those bringing their 'own wine' to the dining room. If I had known, I definitely would have brought 2 bottles with me.

The current ice show is 'new', we were the second group of cruisers to see it. I thought the costumes were too much and it was more like a broadway revue than a showcase of skating skills. During the 'rain' part one of the skaters slipped and fell. Why have it 'raining' during an ice show? There's my rant.

Our waiters (Roy and Alfer) made dinner suggestions each night and we really did not have any bad choices, every dinner was really good, and the service was excellent.

Every single employee was so nice; I cannot say the same thing about some of my fellow cruisers. Several times I heard passengers talking to the employees quite rudely; no one deserves that.

Some comments-

Yes, at least we had 2 1/2 days of sun, I was grateful for that! And very happy that the 'good weather' happened while we were in port (although we did get quite drenched that first morning before heading out again in the afternoon).

I did not bring on wine as I figured it was only a 5 day cruise and I would only drink at dinner since I had an inside cabin.

**However, in our room there was an informational sheet that said there was a '$12 corkage fee' for those bringing their 'own wine' to the dining room. If I had known, I definitely would have brought 2 bottles with me.

The current ice show is 'new', we were the second group of cruisers to see it. I thought the costumes were too much and it was more like a broadway revue than a showcase of skating skills. During the 'rain' part one of the skaters slipped and fell. Why have it 'raining' during an ice show? There's my rant.

Our waiters (Roy and Alfer) made dinner suggestions each night and we really did not have any bad choices, every dinner was really good, and the service was excellent.

Every single employee was so nice; I cannot say the same thing about some of my fellow cruisers. Several times I heard passengers talking to the employees quite rudely; no one deserves that.

Unfortunately that seems to be the norm today with folks. Some see the crew as their personal servants and not human beings with feelings. Glad that those above enjoyed their cruise despite the weather.

I thought the portion at dinner were real small. Yes you can order multiple entrees. I also thought the buffet was just average at best. Carnival buffet is much better. This is what bother me also. If you want to order cappuccino, or espresso they charge you. It is not the $4.00 that bother me but it’s nickel and dimming you. Also at the formal night, on Carnival they come around with Hours Douvers (Ok I spelled it wrong). This made you feel like you were at a wedding or a real formal night. I can not understand how everyone seems to think RCCL is better. Please remember this is just one person’s opinion.

I thought the portion at dinner were real small. Yes you can order multiple entrees. I also thought the buffet was just average at best. Carnival buffet is much better. This is what bother me also. If you want to order cappuccino, or espresso they charge you. It is not the $4.00 that bother me but it’s nickel and dimming you. Also at the formal night, on Carnival they come around with Hours Douvers (Ok I spelled it wrong). This made you feel like you were at a wedding or a real formal night. I can not understand how everyone seems to think RCCL is better. Please remember this is just one person’s opinion.

I wasn't on your sailing, but I have sailed on Explorer several times and we always had appetizers served by the waitstaff at the Captain's Gala on Formal nights. I have also sailed a lot with Carnival and I like both lines but I prefer the beauty of RCCL ships. I'm not crazy about either buffet, but I prefer the dining rooms and feel that both lines do a great job there. I just like the more elegant feel when I'm on RCCL versus Carnival, but I think Carnival is more "fun" with nightlife. I do have to mention though that my least favorite Carnival ship was Carnival Pride. We had a very bad experience on Pride. I think it was my 8th cruise with Carnival, but it became my last as there was a lot going wrong that week. Bad things can happen on any ship though, but it does leave a sour taste in your mouth and makes you hesitant to want to repeat the same bad experience. But, honestly, even a bad cruise is a good vacation in my opinion! :D

You will see these in my review, but what the heck...

Speaking of formal night, we were disappointed in general that the dress code was not enforced in the dining room. I just don't get why RCCL would write "no shorts" on the Compass every day and then allow all manner of dress... if people are going to wear shorts in there, believe me, the tops they wear are not a pretty sight. Also, on formal night my husband was a bit torqued when he went to the effort of packing and wearing a tux, and the two young adult men that walked in right in front of us were wearing JEANS, yes, they walked in on formal night in their jeans. There are plenty of other eating opportunities on board, and, I blame RCCL for this one.

Just MHO

You will see these in my review, but what the heck...

Speaking of formal night, we were disappointed in general that the dress code was not enforced in the dining room. I just don't get why RCCL would write "no shorts" on the Compass every day and then allow all manner of dress... if people are going to wear shorts in there, believe me, the tops they wear are not a pretty sight. Also, on formal night my husband was a bit torqued when he went to the effort of packing and wearing a tux, and the two young adult men that walked in right in front of us were wearing JEANS, yes, they walked in on formal night in their jeans. There are plenty of other eating opportunities on board, and, I blame RCCL for this one.

Just MHO

Welcome to the future of mass market cruising. Folks may not like it but the cruise lines are trying to attract more first time cruisers and are turning their head the other way when it comes to the dress code. With more cruise lines testing or putting into place the Freestyle/Anytime dining concept this is going to happen. IMHO I could care less what another person wears in the dining room as it is not going to affect the taste of my food.:) Also ikeep in mind that the Cruise Compass states that the dress code is "suggested". If they want folks to follow it then they need to word it differently.

We can't wait! Love to hear comparisons with Carnival!:D Those glowing reviews of RCI always get so tedious and tiresome. (tongue firmly in cheek).

I'm glad you had a great cruise to Bermuda in spite of the weather. :)

Archived