Which side of train for Anchorage to Whittier?

scarlett1

As far as I know, seats are still being assigned with no preferences given. But if on the "wrong" side- then just head up to the dome car on the regular run of the Alaska RR. The scenic viewing side is the right- of the Arm. You can't see much on the left, especially the sheep, since the train moves. :)

Is this a cruise line train or AKRR? If through AKRR you cannot request seat assignments in advance as far as I know of. Once on the train, after everyone is seated, if there are empty seats available you can move around if you're trying to get specific scenery shots. That's what we did last month.

In October of 2005 I purchased my Anchorage-Whittier train tickets for our May 22, 2006 passage. When we received the tickets we did not have a designated seat assignment. When we arrived at the train depot we asked if we could sit on the right side of the train and we were accommodated. I don't know if we got lucky or if the train just wasn't traveling to full capacity. Either way, we were glad we got the seats we did.

When you pick up your tickets the day you are going on the train, you can ask for a seat on a preferred side. Since I'm travelling with children, I just wanted to sit on the side that faces the water. Accordingly, those who have taken this route have said that the RIGHT side going to Whittier is the better viewing side.

Archived