Chankanaab Park

deannad

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I could see all of them in thumbnail form, but when I clicked on them to enlarge them there was just a red X. Not sure why. Anyway, they were gorgeous anyway. I will be on the Fantasy in five weeks. I already planned to go to Chankanaab park, but now you really helped me make up my mind!:)

The snorkeling area was pretty deep (started around 8-10 feet and got deeper). There were underwater statues way out that my kids checked out (I was busy with my Iguana photo-session :) ) and a platform out way out that you could climb onto for a break. That was really fun for the bigger kids (and my husband).

You REALLY need water shoes. The rocky steps were kind of dangerous with sharp edges.

The entry fee is pretty steep (I think $16/person), but I can't imagine a more perfect day. The cab ride from the port was $20 for all 6 of us. And since I booked my son's dolphin swim on the internet his entry fee was included.

Deanna

Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing. You have helped me make up my mind about how to spend our day in Cozumel. I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind answering:

1) We will have a group of around 11 people (ages 8 - 71). We don't plan on doing the Dolphin activity. Do you think we will be able to spend the entire day there or will the kids get bored? I'm trying to decide if we should do Chank. Park then go to another beach in the afternoon.

2) Do they do bag searches & confiscate things? For example, if I bring sunscreen to use later in the day (somewhere else) will they take it if it is not biodegradeabe? Also, what if I brought some granola bars or something? Would they take them?

I emailed them & they said we can bring bottled water, but no cooler, so I guess it will be warm water :rolleyes: , but oh well. I understand they are a national park & need to keep some order. It would just be extremely helpful to be able to bring a couple snacks to hold the kids to lunch.

3) Which brings me to my last question - how was the food & drink?

Thanks so much for sharing!!

Jan

Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing. You have helped me make up my mind about how to spend our day in Cozumel. I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind answering:

1) We will have a group of around 11 people (ages 8 - 71). We don't plan on doing the Dolphin activity. Do you think we will be able to spend the entire day there or will the kids get bored? I'm trying to decide if we should do Chank. Park then go to another beach in the afternoon.

I guess it depends how long a day you're thinking about,. We could've easily stayed 6-7 hours. The snorkling was just amazing (I'd buy a few sets at home and just share them). We bought 2 sets and rented 1 ($15 for all day). We didnt' notice til we were leaving, but there was a "hammock" area and I think they offered Snuba (maybe other things). You could walk around the park area - we just barely wandered in due to lack of time. I think there are even some ruins back in the "jungle" area. Google for their website - it probably has more details.

2) Do they do bag searches & confiscate things? For example, if I bring sunscreen to use later in the day (somewhere else) will they take it if it is not biodegradeabe? Also, what if I brought some granola bars or something? Would they take them?

I searched for that biodegradable stuff for my son, but the rest of us used the "regular" kind. No one checked any of our bags (and we had several).

I emailed them & they said we can bring bottled water, but no cooler, so I guess it will be warm water :rolleyes: , but oh well. I understand they are a national park & need to keep some order. It would just be extremely helpful to be able to bring a couple snacks to hold the kids to lunch.

3) Which brings me to my last question - how was the food & drink?

They sold BIG water bottles for $3 (really big) and smaller ones (not sure of price). We left around 2pm and had eaten a huge breakfast on the ship, so we didn't really eat. There was lounge chair service, a sit-down restaurant and a snack bar.

Thanks so much for sharing!!

No problem. We had such a great time because I learned the "tricks" on this board. We walked off the ship and into our cab. We were among the first people at the park that day and had our choice of shaded areas/chairs.

Jan

Enjoy!!!

Deanna

Thanks for sharing your great pictures!

I have read that they have a Sea Lion Show. We visited Chankanaab Park last time we were in Cozumel, but didn't see it or any mention of it. Did you see it or anything about it while you were there?

Also, how close can you get to the Dolphin area if no one in your group is doing the Dolphin Swim. Can you observe and take pictures? Loved your dolphin pictures.

Also, for those that are planning to go to Chankanaab, there is a $2 off coupon on there website.

Thanks in advance for your answers. :)

The snorkeling area was pretty deep (started around 8-10 feet and got deeper).

Deanna

Deanna,

Thanks! 2 of the children that will be with me arent great swimmers so I dont think they will be snorkling. But thank you for letting me know how deep it is :D

If you rent the snorkeling gear it comes with a life jacket ($15/day). I think JUST the life jacket can be rented for $5.

I would encourage them to try it! I'm really claustrophic when I first put on that mask, but as soon as you start looking at the fish you forget to be bothered!!

Deanna

We booked the Royal Dolphin swim and it does include the entrance fee to the park...does the park have beach access? Is this free? Also, are there lockers available?

Just in case anyone is interested, if you book the Dolphin Royal swim at 3:30pm on the Dolphin Discovery website or 1-800 #, you get 20% off your total (we saved $30.00 each!).

YES! The park has the jungle area, beach area, dolphin area and even a swimming pool for that one admission price. The beach is gorgeous, but it doesn't connect smoothly to the water - there's a ledge and then steps to get down past the rocky area. It's difficult to explain, but maybe these photos will help.

http://lh3.google.com/ddelapasse/Rrct_ARLJDI/AAAAAAAACF4/GKEwngAciTo/s800/DSC_7857.jpg

http://lh3.google.com/ddelapasse/Rrct3ARLJBI/AAAAAAAACFc/86_JWVn1oTA/s800/DSC_7845.jpg

jonathans*angel, there are free lockers. I saw them, but we didn't use them since we had a big group. They are off the side of the gift shop on the inside near the dolphin area.

Have a great time!!

Deanna

We walked straight down the pier and there was a police lady directing us to the left where a line of taxi's appeared. We fit 6 comfortably in the van-type cabs. You might need 2, but there didn't appear to be any shortage.

There was also a line of them right outside Chankanaab to get back.

Deanna

My daughter and I spent the day here a few years back, before the hurricanes came through. We did the Dolphin Swim AND the Sea Lion Swim. What an experience! Do they still offer this? I'll be heading back to Cozumel in December, and would LOVE to do this again.

Lunch was wonderful, and my daughter got her hair braided there as well.

The park is huge and beautiful- definitely a great place to spend a day!

Archived