Renting a scooter - Should we or Shouldn't We?

HookLine&Sinker

We will be sailing to Bermuda in Sept. on the Empress with another couple and are considering renting scooters to go from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay Beach.

I have read many pro's and con's about doing this and wondered if anyone could share their experiences with me. We are considering renting one scooter for both of us to ride on. I have trouble walking on dry land without tripping so I KNOW I do not need to be trying to drive a scooter on unfamiliar roads on the opposite side. But DH and our friend are considering it.

I don't know if we should . . .

We have been to Bermuda 4 times and have rented a scooter every time. We were able to come and go as we please, and visit all kinds of out of the way places that we may never have seen otherwise.

There's nothing as wonderful as driving around the island with the wind blowing across you as you inhale the delightful scents of Bermuda.

Many people here are frightened of the scooters, have never tried them, and will adamantly insist they are too dangerous to drive. Certainly if you are afraid you should not try them. That would lead you to be nervous and tentative in traffic and be a prime target for accidents.

But if you go into it with the proper respect for the road and rules and some legitimate caution, there's no reason why you won't be fine.

The rental companies are very good about training you until you feel comfortable.

I say if your DH wants to try it, then go have a blast!

We will be sailing to Bermuda in Sept. on the Empress with another couple and are considering renting scooters to go from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay Beach.

I have read many pro's and con's about doing this and wondered if anyone could share their experiences with me. We are considering renting one scooter for both of us to ride on. I have trouble walking on dry land without tripping so I KNOW I do not need to be trying to drive a scooter on unfamiliar roads on the opposite side. But DH and our friend are considering it.

I don't know if we should . . .

Thought I could help you out on the other board by giving you the link to the thread about scooters on this board. Just scroll down and you find it.

Thanks to you both.

Iheartba - when I clicked on the link in the other thread it brought me to a board with info about the UK but I do appreciate the effort :) and will look farther down for it.

Are they readily available to rent once you get off the ship in Hamilton?

Thanks to you both.

Iheartba - when I clicked on the link in the other thread it brought me to a board with info about the UK but I do appreciate the effort :) and will look farther down for it.

Are they readily available to rent once you get off the ship in Hamilton?

Yes, you can even do it online ahead of time. Oleanders Cycles is probably the most popular choice.

Once you get there and see how people drive you may think twice about it. It is very dangerous. You won't believe how many crosses you see lining the side of the roads from people who have been killed on Scooters. Just my 2 cents.

My advise based on many stays in Bermuda....forget the scooters..Unless you are used to driving on the opposite side of the road and on narrow winding streets take a cab or a bus..Especially if this is your first visit.

Since you have another couple to split the fare , even better. Scooters are not cheap, so just relax , take in the sights and let someone else do the driving....

My opinion based on seeing way too many tourists limping around and ruining their vacation.....

If you have trouble walking without tripping, skip the scooter. A friend of mine who has a similar issue did not do well on a scooter.

I have rented them multiple times and while very careful all it takes is one fall which happens to many and you can end up in the emergency room. On my last time there I was leading a pack of some friends and for a moment lost concentration and I almost loss control of the moped. I am so very lucky I did not fall.

Keith

Thanks to everyone for their posts, it's been really helpful.

My friend and I have put our heads together and persuaded the men in our life to give up the idea of scooters and your posts really helped!

The money isn't really this issue, it's more safety and I think the whole driving on the other side of the road issue is a big one :) .

A taxi it is! Thanks again.

Once you get there and see how people drive you may think twice about it. It is very dangerous. You won't believe how many crosses you see lining the side of the roads from people who have been killed on Scooters. Just my 2 cents.

we don't have a whole lot of crosses lining the side of the road here.the vast majority of these crosses are for residents and the majority of them are single vehicle collisions. less than one tourist dies on the road here per year.

i do admit some of us drive like lunatics with not enough concern for others and i personally don't recommend scooters. but if you are thinking about renting them, please treat them with a healthy dose of respect and if you are at all aprehensive about riding one of these, then just drop the whole idea. you only get one set of limbs per life.

Thanks to everyone for their posts, it's been really helpful.

My friend and I have put our heads together and persuaded the men in our life to give up the idea of scooters and your posts really helped!

The money isn't really this issue, it's more safety and I think the whole driving on the other side of the road issue is a big one :) .

A taxi it is! Thanks again.

I think this is a wise decision. I have been coming to Bermuda since 1967. Every time I visited I always rented the scooters. But over the years, the roads have gotten very congested and the local drivers have become very aggressive and intolerant of the slower traffic. The roads are narrow and lined with rock and coral. So if you go out of control, the surfaces are very abrasive. You drive on the opposite side of the road and your driving perspective is upside down. Your instinct at the rotaries is to go to the right, into traffic rather than safely to the left. I have driven motorcycles for over 40 years and I would be nervous to rent these smaller and not very stable vehicles. As Bermuda guy correctly notes if you are a little bit apprehensive and nervous, you might be involving yourself in a situation that might overwhelm you. It is a vacation, and with the excellent transportation system why add an unnecessary worry. For $28, you can get a transportation pass good for unlimited use of the ferries and the buses for three days. At night, when the public transportation runs less frequently, you can use the taxis. With four of you, the cost is reduced to a reasonable level, especially as you have reduced expenses by having the pass in the first place. :)

I saw at least 10-12 crosses riding the buses back and forth from Hamilton & St. George. I'm sure some were for car accidents and not just scooters. We decided to just leave the scooters to the locals since they know the roads best.

Archived