I don't want to go!!!

debjam24

LOL. I love your philosophy! It certainly keeps things in perspective.

I want to tell you a funny story about being dressed correctly. I went to my 20th high school reunion. I sent an e mail and asked if there was a formal night and got no answer. I live in VA and my reunion was in FL. I went with no formal wear. The night at the "country club" (should have given me a hint) was in fact formal. I sat at the entrance of the country club dressed in shorts. When someone would come by and ask about my outfit I said "I am sitting here making every feel really good about how they look". I had a great time with it and when we were served dinner and the a/c went out I was the only one that was comfortable. I loved it.

No matter what happens, you can make it a horrible experience or you can make the best of it. Don't panic. You will have a great time. You really can't do anything wrong. If you forget something, you can buy it or just live without it. Life is way to short to worry. Have fun.

I rolled all clothing. Talk to a military man and he will tell you that is the way to pack. My husbands suit was rolled and didn't have wrinkles. You can also put your outfits on hangers in the bathroom and while you shower the wrinkles fall out.

Don't take containers with more than 3 oz of liquid or gel in your carry on. They don't care about checked luggage. If they want to open it, they will. Then they close it and you get it back at your destination. I tried to put anything that would be seen on x ray and be questionable in the checked luggage. They could look at it and that was fine. Have your electronics if you carry them on the plane so you can get them out quickly and any liquids or gels also. Be ready to take your shoes off. If you have nothing in your luggage that is dangerous or over 3 oz don't worry about it. I know that is easier said than done but believe it.

Have a great time on your cruise.

Linda

I can't thank you all enough for your kind words and encouragment. OH has just sat and read this post and given me a big hug and told me to stop being so daft. He didn't realise I was panicking so much so we are to sit down and write a list of everything we want to take.

I liked Kc fn's idea for a spreadsheet system, I love messing about with excel (much to OH amusement) and this will be a great way of overcoming my nerves I think. At least if everything is down in front of me then I can cross off things that are done as and when they are done. I have found the threads about packing lists so will "borrow" one of the lists and adapt for us.

Anyway must get back to work. Thanks again to you all for reading and answering about my panic attack.

Deb:)

You are reminding me of how excited and nervous I was about our first cruise. Although, not going was never an option for me :) . I had dreams about it, made lists, fretted over the timetable, the clothes, every little detail consumed me for over a year!

Fast forward to 9 years later, and what I have learned from 12 cruises. #1 almost everyone else is as worried as you are #2 everyone else is so consumed about what they are wearing they will hardly even notice what you have on #3 don't pack so many clothes, you'll never have the time to wear them... same with shoes #4 allow the vacation to happen, don't plan every moment, you'll be too frustrated #5 allow yourself to be pampered by the dining room staff and cabin attendant #6 take your bathing suit and do not worry about what you look like in it.

Most important, don't schedule travel so close that you will have any stress with regards to arrival or departure, give yourself a cushion of time for "just in case" travel delays. Take a good book, buy a magazine or just people watch at the airport if you have to wait.

If luggage gets lost or delayed, you can still travel, if you don't have your documents, you can't. So, prioritize the big stuff, let the little things fall into place. You can always buy clothes and toiletries along the way. The ship has laundry service, you really can pack lighter or have something pressed if it is wrinkled.

I can almost guarantee that you will want to book your next cruise while still onboard :) !

You are reminding me of how excited and nervous I was about our first cruise. Although, not going was never an option for me :) . I had dreams about it, made lists, fretted over the timetable, the clothes, every little detail consumed me for over a year!

Fast forward to 9 years later, and what I have learned from 12 cruises. #1 almost everyone else is as worried as you are #2 everyone else is so consumed about what they are wearing they will hardly even notice what you have on #3 don't pack so many clothes, you'll never have the time to wear them... same with shoes #4 allow the vacation to happen, don't plan every moment, you'll be too frustrated #5 allow yourself to be pampered by the dining room staff and cabin attendant #6 take your bathing suit and do not worry about what you look like in it.

Most important, don't schedule travel so close that you will have any stress with regards to arrival or departure, give yourself a cushion of time for "just in case" travel delays. Take a good book, buy a magazine or just people watch at the airport if you have to wait.

If luggage gets lost or delayed, you can still travel, if you don't have your documents, you can't. So, prioritize the big stuff, let the little things fall into place. You can always buy clothes and toiletries along the way. The ship has laundry service, you really can pack lighter or have something pressed if it is wrinkled.

I can almost guarantee that you will want to book your next cruise while still onboard :) !

You are a smart person. You gave her the basics and that all she needed. Great job.

Linda

Hi there, I stressed too before our first cruise last month on Oriana from Southampton about what and how to pack. Plus we had to fly in from Belfast to S'hampton so everything had to be packed. I followed the tip of hanging formal dresses/suits on wire hangers inside the plastic bags that you get your dry cleaning back in. I laid these on top of the cases and when I unpacked there was hardly a wrinkle! As for hand luggage, unless you are overnighting somewher, don't worry about it as your main luggage will appear quickly on board.

Have a great time!

Deb, i'm also in Somerset and would gladly take your place :) Seriously though cruising from Southampton is so easy, especially with no flights and luggage restrictions.

First thing i'd do is cross alcohol off my packing list. I packed a few tins of ready mixed g&Ts and pimms to enjoy on the balcony, only to find 2 cans punctured and covering everything in that case. meant i spent the first afternoon on board in the laundrette, instead of enjoying a drink on deck !

we take our formal clothes in a wheeled suit carrier (similar to argos item 075/2712 ) and check it in with our cases. My DH and i both carry a small wheeled case as hand luggage, his mainly contains electrical bits and pieces and the camera, I have medications and toiletries, and we both have a change of underwear, one light casual outfit and swimwear.

Really there is no need to stress ships do sell the essentials you may have forgotten like toothpaste and shaving foam. so go with the flow and look forward to a holiday where everything is taken care of for you :)

OP- ->. its my honeymoon/ anniversary and i want things to run smoothly. for your travel sickness, ask your doc about a patch that goes behind your ear. your body absorbs it. i SWEAR BY IT!!! my mom's collegue wrote me a script for it. i picked it up today and packed it about 10 minutes ago. i usually use half of a patch about 2 hours before the plane leaves. i plan on using a quater of a patch each day of the cruise...................

Hello danielle,

I probably should not even write this post ......... but..... I did use the Transderm Scopolamine Patch on some cruises in the past and on one of the cruises there were some unpleasant problems / side affects.... and thinking that someone is going on the honeymoon and possibly might have the same problems 'convince me' to write this.

Since you have used ' it ' before and you SWEAR BY IT, you probably know about all the side affects / problems that one can have sometimes while using the patch. I am sure that you probably read about the warning not to cut the patch or the controlled distribution system might be disturbed and more of the scopolamine can get into the skin in a short time.

So this post is probably just a waste of time ..... and I hope that the patch will work for you just as it does for many others....... but just in case if some strange symptons might show up at least you can recognize them as being related to the patch.

I have seen hundreds if not thousands of people wearing and using the patch on the cruises that I have enjoyed so much ..... and I and my wife were the users as well ...... but I made a point of asking the medical people (that work on the ships) on few of the cruises if that was the right thing to do ...... and the answer was "no" ...... I wonder why ?

And I did not believe them ........ untill my problems showed up ( wife also had problems even worse then mine) ........ so maybe these doctors and nurses working on the ships know better what works and what does not. I guess not every medication is good for every one especially if we have problems preventing us from using it.

Danielle congratulations and wishing you a wonderful and smooth sailing.

Wes

Hello danielle,

I probably should not even write this post ......... but..... I did use the Transderm Scopolamine Patch on some cruises in the past and on one of the cruises there were some unpleasant problems / side affects.... and thinking that someone is going on the honeymoon and possibly might have the same problems 'convince me' to write this.

Since you have used ' it ' before and you SWEAR BY IT, you probably know about all the side affects / problems that one can have sometimes while using the patch. I am sure that you probably read about the warning not to cut the patch or the controlled distribution system might be disturbed and more of the scopolamine can get into the skin in a short time.

So this post is probably just a waste of time ..... and I hope that the patch will work for you just as it does for many others....... but just in case if some strange symptons might show up at least you can recognize them as being related to the patch.

I have seen hundreds if not thousands of people wearing and using the patch on the cruises that I have enjoyed so much ..... and I and my wife were the users as well ...... but I made a point of asking the medical people (that work on the ships) on few of the cruises if that was the right thing to do ...... and the answer was "no" ...... I wonder why ?

And I did not believe them ........ untill my problems showed up ( wife also had problems even worse then mine) ........ so maybe these doctors and nurses working on the ships know better what works and what does not. I guess not every medication is good for every one especially if we have problems preventing us from using it.

Danielle congratulations and wishing you a wonderful and smooth sailing.

Wes

thanks wes for that wonderful infomercial. and i will respond with another. "INDIVIDUAL RESULTS MAY VARY" and "THE PATCH MAY NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE.ONLY YOUR DOCTOR KNOWS WHAT MEDICATION IS RIGHT FOR YOU"... hence, i "suggested" she "ask" her doctor about it.

just so ya know. i did take offense to you undermining me the way you did.

:mad: #1 i dont care if it soaks into my skin quicker! that means im sick less.

#2 i was just tryin to help someone (not you, mind you) that sounded like they have the same problems i do.

#3 of course i read the labels! im not an idiot . but did you ever think that maybe theyd like to sell you more by telling you that you cant cut them.(whoda thunk? a drug comapnay lie to the public?! noooo...) my DOCTOR, that is board liscensed in the USA(not "certified" in the bahamas), that owns his own firm, AND that i trust enuf to let him disect my appendix like the science class frog and/or cat anatomy lesson that we hated in high school, said that it was fine :rolleyes: .

#4 most people who have motion sickness problems usually only have them temporarily until they can get their equilibrium adjusted in their new surroundings.

#5 if the patch doesnt "really" work, who cares!!! it makes me feel better to have it on if that means im not puking up my steak and lobster over the side of the ship resulting in a colorful display of chunky mess for the rest of the folks to enjoy :) . who knows, maybe there is no such thing as "motion sickness". you know the saying "youre only as old as you feel"? well maybe you can only be as sick as you "think" you feel.

#6 side effects vary by person. i feel dry mouth but never anything else. its not a big enough problem for me to quit using it. if that means more lemonade or water to quinch my thirst then so be it!:D

also, i addresed that post to the original poster, debjam, (again, not you) so dont single me out. unless of course youre going to single out everyone who has given her advice. tell her to NOT drink beer. To DO worry. and to NOT have fun.

so yeah. you should have not posted what you did........

but i do have to point this out....you used the patch on "some of" your cruises and "on one of the cruises" you experienced side effects. now correct me if im wrong but cancer patients undergo chemothereapy and sometimes, (most of the time if not all the time in my MOTHER's case,) they feel awful afterwards with a ton of side effects. does that mean that they shouldnt undergo treatment that could possibly cure them or at least prolong their life just because they have 2 or 3 days of being uncomfortable after their treatment? EVERY MEDICATION HAS PROS AND CONS!!!! Only the prescribed patient and their doctor can decide if its right for them!

and you know what, I WILL HAVE A GOOD CRUISE!!!!

mainly because i wont be PUKING because i have the patch and i wont be being singled out and offended by the likes of you.:eek: !!

oh yeah, i went there...and I BOUGHT PROPERTY!!!!!:cool:

My goodness. What a nasty reply to a perfectly civil and friendly post.

i addresed that post to the original poster

In case you didn't notice, this is a public message board. If you don't want your posts to be read and commented on by one and all, take it to email.

you should have not posted what you did........

That's hilarious! Wes has every right to post anything that's within the guidelines of this board. If you're so easily offended by nothing, perhaps this isn't the place for you. :)

My goodness. What a nasty reply to a perfectly civil and friendly post.

In case you didn't notice, this is a public message board. If you don't want your posts to be read and commented on by one and all, take it to email.

That's hilarious! Wes has every right to post anything that's within the guidelines of this board. If you're so easily offended by nothing, perhaps this isn't the place for you. :)

i know its public. but for him to say that he may not post the post he did means he had reserves about it. and for good reason. im being as civil as he was, in my opinion. i took offense for being singled out so i only returned the favor. youre right, he complied with the rules of the board, as well as i. and why email him the favor when he didnt do it for me?

thanks wes for that wonderful infomercial. and i will respond with another. "INDIVIDUAL RESULTS MAY VARY" and "THE PATCH MAY NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE.ONLY YOUR DOCTOR KNOWS WHAT MEDICATION IS RIGHT FOR YOU"... hence, i "suggested" she "ask" her doctor about it.

#2 i was just tryin to help someone (not you, mind you) that sounded like they have the same problems i do.

#3 of course i read the labels! im not an idiot . but did you ever think that maybe theyd like to sell you more by telling you that you cant cut them.(whoda thunk? a drug comapnay lie to the public?! noooo...) my DOCTOR, that is board liscensed in the USA(not "certified" in the bahamas), that owns his own firm, AND that i trust enuf to let him disect my appendix like the science class frog and/or cat anatomy lesson that we hated in high school, said that it was fine :rolleyes: .

#4 most people who have motion sickness problems usually only have them temporarily until they can get their equilibrium adjusted in their new surroundings.

#5 if the patch doesnt "really" work, who cares!!! it makes me feel better to have it on if that means im not puking up my steak and lobster over the side of the ship resulting in a colorful display of chunky mess for the rest of the folks to enjoy :) . who knows, maybe there is no such thing as "motion sickness". you know the saying "youre only as old as you feel"? well maybe you can only be as sick as you "think" you feel.

#6 side effects vary by person. i feel dry mouth but never anything else. its not a big enough problem for me to quit using it. if that means more lemonade or water to quinch my thirst then so be it!:D

also, i addresed that post to the original poster, debjam, (again, not you) so dont single me out. unless of course youre going to single out everyone who has given her advice. tell her to NOT drink beer. To DO worry. and to NOT have fun.

but i do have to point this out....you used the patch on "some of" your cruises and "on one of the cruises" you experienced side effects. now correct me if im wrong but cancer patients undergo chemothereapy and sometimes, (most of the time if not all the time in my MOTHER's case,) they feel awful afterwards with a ton of side effects. does that mean that they shouldnt undergo treatment that could possibly cure them or at least prolong their life just because they have 2 or 3 days of being uncomfortable after their treatment? EVERY MEDICATION HAS PROS AND CONS!!!! Only the prescribed patient and their doctor can decide if its right for them!

mainly because i wont be PUKING because i have the patch and i wont be being singled out and offended by the likes of you.:eek: !!

Hello danielle,

If my post offended you - I am sorry ...... that was not the intention.

The intention was to perhaps save you from having some really bad time on your honeymoon ......... I had my Transderm patch prescribed by a doctor as well, and I used that , so did wife and the symptons were not bad on one cruise ( dry mouth , a little blurred vision) .... and on another cruise was a lot worse : disorientation , loose of balance , really bad vision ...... so after reading your post I thought I will share that with you, that there might be problems and if you get them at least you will know that it might be the patch doing that. I read the information about the side effects not when I started using it the first time ....... but later , much later - and my doctor did not warn me about any side effect either.

I have been reading posts of many others that had problems similar to mine or worse ..... so it does happen - it might not happen to you this time or ever ....... but if it ever does you probably will think about this post and your response.

Again I am sorry for offending you and do whatever is right for you - yes we are all different and not all remedies are good for every one, regardless if Rx by the best doctor or not.

Enjoy your cruise.

Wes

Hi Danielle, I really don't understand why you became so defensive to Wes' comments. It appears he was simply speaking of his personal experience hoping to try to help someone from going through what he did. I really think he was trying to be helpful and I don't see why you seem to have taken his words so personally.

We all have a right to voice our opinions, advice, assistance, etc. here which is what makes this community a pretty "friendly" place, most of the time, we certainly ALL have our moments, myself included.

Just my .02 cents.

Thanks and Happy Sails!!

Romy

Hi Danielle, I really don't understand why you became so defensive to Wes' comments. It appears he was simply speaking of his personal experience hoping to try to help someone from going through what he did. I really think he was trying to be helpful and I don't see why you seem to have taken his words so personally.

We all have a right to voice our opinions, advice, assistance, etc. here which is what makes this community a pretty "friendly" place, most of the time, we certainly ALL have our moments, myself included.

Just my .02 cents.

Thanks and Happy Sails!!

Romy

I have been misunderstood on these threads too. Unfortunately you can't see the persons face or hear if they are being sarcastic. I think every sentence should end with a smiley face or some sign that says if you are happy, angry, sarcastic or just critical. When I was called on the carpet, I never meant it the way they took it. I don't try to cause arguments and I bet he didn't either.

Maybe we should ask someone's intent before we explode.

Linda

Danielle, you took Wes' post all wrong. He wasn't rude, mean or in any way violating the terms of service for this board. This is just a person who had an experience with the "patch" and was relating his negative experiences, which, by the way, I've also experienced. You need to chill and see this post as something that was meant as helping, and nothing else. Wes' posts are always helpful and full of insight, and he's never been rude.

BTW, you were not singled out---read your post, YOU'RE the one who mentioned the patch, and that's why he posted the way he did. I suspect if another poster mentioned the patch, that person's name would have been mentioned. Try not being so paranoid next time.

Hi We are leaving on our first cruise on Oct 28 to Freedom of the Seas and I planned to take a day and half off of work early to be myself to spent time with animals dog and cat dog is 12 cat is 3, and more time to get things organized and ready to go. We be in Miami for couple days before to the port. I myself find a way to avoid emotional , less stress full - hopfully it works to avoid FMS flares up. I am aanixous to get going but time will be here soon so fear of nervous near the date....ekkkeeekk:)

• 1 month later...
I can't thank you all enough for your kind words and encouragment. OH has just sat and read this post and given me a big hug and told me to stop being so daft. He didn't realise I was panicking so much so we are to sit down and write a list of everything we want to take.

I liked Kc fn's idea for a spreadsheet system, I love messing about with excel (much to OH amusement) and this will be a great way of overcoming my nerves I think. At least if everything is down in front of me then I can cross off things that are done as and when they are done. I have found the threads about packing lists so will "borrow" one of the lists and adapt for us.

Anyway must get back to work. Thanks again to you all for reading and answering about my panic attack.

Deb:)

Deb

You didn"t tell us how your cruise went. Did you have a great time or what? I got back from my second cruise on Sept 8 and I loved it. Things weren't perfect but much better than doing all the work for the week.

Linda

• 4 weeks later...
I'm very sorry (I always seem to be that when I post) but I am having a panic attack. :o

There are two weeks and two days :eek: to our cruise and I just don't want to go - there seems to be so much to think of. What goes in which luggage? (electricals, alcohol, toiletries), how much carry on luggage can I take?, what do I do with my gowns and OH suits? (I haven't found a suitable case to pack them into yet, so at the mo they are just going to be slung over my arm in a long bag), what time would it be safe to get to Southampton to check in, (we are using the car parking firm there).

I know I am being stupid and panicking over probably nothing, but I very nervous with situations I have not encountered before. I imagine that people will be watching me and thinking OMG look at how much she is carrying. I have images of being called to security because something is in my case that shouldn't be.

Please reassure me that I am being over the top (was going to put overboard but that is probably what you want to do with me). Am I the only one who is going through this or are there other first timers (or even second or third timers) out there doing the same as me?

Deb

Deb,

We haven't heard from you in 2 months. How did the cruise go? Did you have fun? If you forgot something you did find without it didn't you. I way overpacked. Maybe next time I will do better. My cruise was the week after yours. You had great weather if I remember correctly despite the threat of hurricanes.

Linda

• 3 weeks later...
Danielle, you took Wes' post all wrong. He wasn't rude, mean or in any way violating the terms of service for this board. This is just a person who had an experience with the "patch" and was relating his negative experiences, which, by the way, I've also experienced. You need to chill and see this post as something that was meant as helping, and nothing else. Wes' posts are always helpful and full of insight, and he's never been rude.

BTW, you were not singled out---read your post, YOU'RE the one who mentioned the patch, and that's why he posted the way he did. I suspect if another poster mentioned the patch, that person's name would have been mentioned. Try not being so paranoid next time.

How did it turn out?

Linda

FIRST: RELAX

SECOND: EVERYONE IS A LITTLE (OR A LOT) AFRAID OF THE UNKNOWN

THIRD: TAKE A DEEP BREATH

1. Start by laying clothes out on a spare bed or dining room table, etc.

2. count out how much underwear, socks, nylons, sleepweat, etc. (the east stuff.

3. then move on to other easy stuff like shorts and tee shirts and casual tops

4. then bathing suits.

5. then try putting together the outfits that you will wear to dinner, skirts, tops, slacks, shirts, ties(?)

6. Formal outfits: formal dresses, heels, undergarments for same. His suit (tux?) shirts, ties (tie bar?) dress shoes, socks, etc.

7. the very last thing you should deal with is accessories.

THEN GO THROUGH IT ALL AGAIN AND DECIDE IF YOU ARE TAKING TOO MUCH OF SOMETHING.

Laundry/Dry Cleaning on ships is very reasonable. They usually have a special on doing a bag of laundry one day. During the day you will wear mostly shorts and casual tops. Don't make the mistake of taking too many shoes.

REMEMBER YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A GREAT TIME - RELAX AND ENJOY!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just one slight caveat about cutting up your scopolamine patches: If you get a pill/tablet from your pharmacist, and it is scored down the center (has a groove), it means that the drug company promises that if you cut or break it in half, each piece will have an equal portion of the medication in it. If it is not scored, and you break it in half, the medication might not be equal in the pieces. Same goes for your patch. Unless it has cutting lines on it, Cut it up, and 3/4 of the medicine might be in 1/4 of the patch. E.

I'm very sorry (I always seem to be that when I post) but I am having a panic attack. :o

There are two weeks and two days :eek: to our cruise and I just don't want to go - there seems to be so much to think of. What goes in which luggage? (electricals, alcohol, toiletries), how much carry on luggage can I take?, what do I do with my gowns and OH suits? (I haven't found a suitable case to pack them into yet, so at the mo they are just going to be slung over my arm in a long bag), what time would it be safe to get to Southampton to check in, (we are using the car parking firm there).

I know I am being stupid and panicking over probably nothing, but I very nervous with situations I have not encountered before. I imagine that people will be watching me and thinking OMG look at how much she is carrying. I have images of being called to security because something is in my case that shouldn't be.

Please reassure me that I am being over the top (was going to put overboard but that is probably what you want to do with me). Am I the only one who is going through this or are there other first timers (or even second or third timers) out there doing the same as me?

Deb

OK - time to sit down, take a deep breath and count to 4. Exhale. Repeat - 3 times. I suffer from panic attacks and I can tell you that they are no fun. Especially when you are traveling on an interstate highway, hundreds of miles from home at speeds of 70 mph in bumper to bumper traffic. There's nothing like feeling good one second and the next second your heart is racing, your palms are sweaty and you stomach is doing flip flops and you find youself in the middle lane and can't pull over. Believe me I created the word "panic".

First keep saying to yourself - "I will go on my cruise and enjoy myself". "I will go on my cruise enjoy myself". "I will go on my cruise and enjoy myself".

Second - everyone is so worried about their own luggage that they will not notice how many pieces of luggage you are handing over to the porter. As for as the gowns and suits, find a nice light weight garmet bag and carry it over your arm. That is what we do. In fact we have two garment bags so each one of us has one slung over our arms.

Third - Go on-line and find a packing list. You can even search for one here at cruise critic. Look under the planning link at the top of the page.

LASTLY - just think of how nice you are going to find it once you are settled in your cabin and you have someone who cleans your room, makes your bed, picks up the dirty towels off the bathroom floor, cooks your meal, (my favorite) washes the dishes and turns down your bed for you. And if you are lucky you will find a towel animal on your bed waiting to welcome you back to your cabin when you come back from dining.

We all get panicky right before we leave on a cruise so don't feel alone. I think it is just part of human nature to keep saying "what if". But you know what "what if" very seldom if ever happens.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived