Shopping in New York

ragtagbobtail

Hi everybody

could someone please advise about NY shopping?

We only have a short time in NY, maybe 4 hours max, and would specifically like to get to Levi and Gap and possibly North Face. (someone told husband everything's nearly free in America compared to UK) If we take a taxi/car from Brooklyn where should we have them drop us to visit these stores? Is that a central area where there are lots of other shops also? We had planned to take excursions with Cunard to see NY and do some shopping, but it appears these excursions only run at certain times of the year and not in August!

thank you CC for any replies, and all the help you have given me over the weeks leading up to our first big adventure on QM2 on 25 Aug.

Angela, maybe see you on the 31st on the way to Halifax. Are you packed already?

best wishes to all

sandra

I personally would head for Macy's as you have so little time! Everything under one roof, about the size of Harrods but without the mortgage!

I couls spend a week there:D:D

Macy's Herald Squareicon_mattress.gif

Directions | Events | Catalogs151 West 34th StreetNew York, NY 10001212/695-4400Today's Hours : 10:00AM - 9:30PM Tomorrow's Hours : 10:00AM - 9:30PM

st-xx-xx-xx.storeHours.gifSee more store hours

Excellent suggestion. Macy's New York is an experience. Macy's elsewhere is pretty ho humm. I would have thought that both Levi and The gap had shops in the UK.

If you want truly upscale shopping begin at Saks Fifth Avenue and then get over to the botiques and Ralph Lauren on Madison Ave. Bracing prices but fine merchandise.

I'm a little concerned about your timeframe...seems to me you'll have to disembark, decide on transportation from Brooklyn pier to Macy's Herald Square, find your way around a very large (albeit exciting) store and then make your way back to the ship -- all in less than 4 hours. Feels very stressful to me.

Although I'm originally from NYC, I'm not familiar with where the ships dock in Brooklyn. Can anyone suggest best way to get from point A to point B or point out closer shopping venues in Brooklyn?

Thank you all for the tips. Macy's sounds like a plan.

thanks for your concern Host Sheila, it would be a good 4 hours clear hopefully. The ship sails for Halifax at 5pm. We plan to pre-book a Cunard transfer to the city, and it's only ourselves disembarking, hopefully our luggage will be moved to our other cabin. That's why we want a central point to visit the stores i mentioned. We can catch the rest on the way back before returning to England.

We do have Levi and Gap here but they are expensive and DH likes a bargain!

I would have to concur that 4 hours is very little time in NY. If you have something going on in the city like a big event at the UN or if the President or any of the Presidential candidates are in town, you could be stuck in gridlock traffic for more than 4 hours. I remember a couple of years ago, we were in NY the same time as President Bush, and it took us more than 2 hours to move 10 blocks. Since I'm disabled and cannot walk far, we had no choice but to sit in the cab for the whole time, just to get back to the hotel

I would have to concur that 4 hours is very little time in NY. If you have something going on in the city like a big event at the UN or if the President or any of the Presidential candidates are in town, you could be stuck in gridlock traffic for more than 4 hours. I remember a couple of years ago, we were in NY the same time as President Bush, and it took us more than 2 hours to move 10 blocks. Since I'm disabled and cannot walk far, we had no choice but to sit in the cab for the whole time, just to get back to the hotel

Thank you for your response Darcie.

Even though there are no excursions on the Cunard website, maybe they will offer some on board. Or as we're transit passengers maybe we can get off the ship really early to get thru immigration/customs etc., I had planned to leave the city NLT 1400 to get back to the ship by 5pm.

DH will kill me if he doesn't get to shop in NY!

Food for thought-

King's Plaza Shopping Center in Brooklyn

May make better use of your time instead of fighting sooooo much traffic trying to get from Red Hook to Manhattan. About the same distance, but is easier driving. Almost due East of Red Hook (slightly Southeast really) Prospect Expressway to Flatbush Ave and straight down Flatbush Avenue).

I KNOW there is a GAP there-I bought a couple of tops in May. IIRC, there is also an Old Navy AND Macy's. Probably not as great a selection as Manhattan, but the prices should be slightly better.

oh and this is a quick hint... if you go by rockerfella center... if your into great wine champagne stuff like that.... theres a beautiful wine cellar right by the rink =) .. its beautiful.... THEN ... go across where you would face the rink....and theres this little shop that sells chocolate truffles...OMG.. they are amazing.. and truley an experience id never forget ...

don perione champagne truflles.. YUM

There's a great discount department store in lower Manhattan called "Century 21," It's opposite the World Trade Center site and it has everything that Macy's has for less! I discovered a couple of years ago and now it's my favorite place to shop when I'm in the city. Have fun in NY and on your cruise!

Sandra - there's a Gap store on 34th St. and Broadway. The main entrance to Macy's is also on 34th and Broadway but the Gap is on the other side of Broadway - about a half a block away from Macy's.

I think you're cutting it close timewise but if you takes cabs both ways you could make it as long as you don't run into any traffic jams. Going into Manhattan just have the cab drop you off at 34th and Broadway. Make sure you have driving directions from Manhattan back to the pier in Red Hook - think you can find them on the Cunard website or try the East Coast Departure forum. I've read some stories on these boards where the cabbies say they don't know where the Brooklyn port is - that's just an excuse for them not to go into Brooklyn.

Also Macy's doesn't open until 10am every day except Sunday when it doesn't open until 11am.

Food for thought-

King's Plaza Shopping Center in Brooklyn

May make better use of your time instead of fighting sooooo much traffic trying to get from Red Hook to Manhattan. About the same distance, but is easier driving. Almost due East of Red Hook (slightly Southeast really) Prospect Expressway to Flatbush Ave and straight down Flatbush Avenue).

I KNOW there is a GAP there-I bought a couple of tops in May. IIRC, there is also an Old Navy AND Macy's. Probably not as great a selection as Manhattan, but the prices should be slightly better.

Think greatam had a good suggestion. Four hrs. not enough time to get to & from Manhattan, plus have time to really shop there (34th St. Macy is very big). Why not go to Manhattan when you can enjoy the experience. As others have said, traffic around that area is beyond belief & you may have difficulty getting a cab to take you back to Brooklyn. Here is a site for Kings Plaza to see what stores are there (Gap, Macy's, Victoria Secret, etc.)

http://www.kingsplazaonline.com/listing.asp

There's a great discount department store in lower Manhattan called "Century 21," It's opposite the World Trade Center site and it has everything that Macy's has for less! I discovered a couple of years ago and now it's my favorite place to shop when I'm in the city. Have fun in NY and on your cruise!

A lot of people were walking around with bags from this place when we were there.

To the OP. Try and go to Macy's, it is a really neat store and is very different from any other Macy's that I have been to.

I was born and raised in Red Hook. Four hours would be enough time to get to Manhattan, run into Macy's grab something, Pay for it and make two wishes. I wish I had more time to shop and I wish I could find a cab willing to take me to Red Hook. The closest shopping is Fulton Street. You can be there in 10 minutes. The area doesn't have the best reputation, what it does have is great bargins. Check it out http://www.fultonstreet.org/

I can't believe cruise ships dock in Red Hook.

Thank you all so much for the replies. Maybe we would have more than 4 hours, i've only estimated it as i don't know when we will be able to get off the ship. But i'm a little nervous now about getting stuck. i think we'll head for King's Plaza. Very disappointed as we only booked the Halifax portion because we thought we would have 2 days (going and coming) to sightsee and shop. We didn't find out there would be no excursions until too late (could not get an answer from Cunard) otherwise we would have just stayed in NY for the 4 days and not gone to Halifax. Thank you for the detailed directions, websites and well wishes. Wish i had found CC before booking!!Sandra

If you DO have time, I would definitely head for Macy's. It's huge, has every brand you'd be looking for, and is cheaper than Bloomingdales and Saks. If you go to the Customer Service desk inside, you can get a discount card which knocks off the sales tax as you're an overseas visitor. We spend hundreds of £s when we were there and saved a packet with the discount card. Most of what we bought we sold on when we got home and made another packet!! :)

I wasn't impressed with Century 21. You have to rummage through rails and it's very hit and miss. You can go in one day and find loads of bargains, and then the next day it's a load of junk. I don't know if you have a TK Maxx near you, but it's a bit like that.

If you DO have time, I would definitely head for Macy's. It's huge, has every brand you'd be looking for, and is cheaper than Bloomingdales and Saks. If you go to the Customer Service desk inside, you can get a discount card which knocks off the sales tax as you're an overseas visitor. We spend hundreds of £s when we were there and saved a packet with the discount card. Most of what we bought we sold on when we got home and made another packet!! :)

I wasn't impressed with Century 21. You have to rummage through rails and it's very hit and miss. You can go in one day and find loads of bargains, and then the next day it's a load of junk. I don't know if you have a TK Maxx near you, but it's a bit like that.

thank you Mim Lloyd for the tips, I do hope we can get to Macy's. it sounds like we would find everything we need in just one store. century 21 sounds like something to do when more time available to rummage. if we're short of time will have to just go to the Macy's in Brooklyn. sandra

Finding a GAP in the city is very easy, there is one about every 10 blocks it seems. i know there is one at 72 and Broadway. There is also a Victoria Secret (I used to work there) flag store and it is beautiful!! I believe it is on 66 or 67th and Broadway. Everyone suggested Macy's and that is also another excellent choice. Filene's Basement also has some very good buys is around 79th and Broadway.

Finding a GAP in the city is very easy, there is one about every 10 blocks it seems. i know there is one at 72 and Broadway. There is also a Victoria Secret (I used to work there) flag store and it is beautiful!! I believe it is on 66 or 67th and Broadway. Everyone suggested Macy's and that is also another excellent choice. Filene's Basement also has some very good buys is around 79th and Broadway.

Thank you SunTurnip for the tips.

sandra

Regarding Century 21 - if you think shopping in New York is cheap compared to the UK, you will absolutely LOVE Century 21. It is truly the best store. Has everything - lots of designer things for such reasonable prices. It is a favorite store of many New Yorkers. Since you will be in Brooklyn, go to the one in Brooklyn. There is no doubt in my mind that there will be a Gap store somewhere close to there as well (but I can't be positive).

Archived