Private tours in Malaga, Spain

• 2 weeks later...
Any recommendations for private tours in Malaga, Spain? We are on the Oct. 28th Transatlantic.

I've been to the area several times and think that organised tours are OTT

There is an excellent train service that runs along the coast to Marbella and beyond - it takes 20 minutes or so to get to Marbella and Porto Banus.

Also there are some beautiful villages inland - Mijas and Nerja spring to mind and they are easily accessable by bus (or donkey).

During our port of call at Malaga, the ship provided a bus into town (stopped near the cathedral). We toured the church then walked all around this lovely town including through the park and along the sea shore back to the ship. It was very easy and lovely to do on our own.

Bon Voyage

Malaga is a tough port to plan for. Sevilla, Granada, Cordoba and even Gibralter are close but still a bit far for one day in port. I would head for Marbella, both the olde towne and paseo along the Med are pretty. Nerja is another option as are the white villages such as Ronda. Those are certainly

possible in a day. Mijas with its donkies is close but very commercialized. If you have never been to the Alhambra in Granada I would consider that only with an organized tour.....it is a straight two hour drive from Malaga on good roads with almond and olive groves along the way. Not easy to park in Granada plus your ticket for part of the Alhambra has a specific time window....possible on your own but too risky to visit off a cruise ship.

You could also walk around Malaga for a while and visit the Picasso museum.

Marty

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello, I really like the idea to do a bike tour, but I have already seen Malaga. Following the links of the bike tour company above (http://www.biketoursmalaga.com) I found out that there also bike tours in Marbella and Puerto Banus. Has someone tried one of those tours? What do you think is more interesting to see: Marbella or Malaga? Would be glad to have some recomendations =) I've planned to do one of the tours either July 14 or 15, 2012. Someone wants to join?

• 4 weeks later...

hey Bananza!

yes, looks like they offers tours in Marbella, too. I would prefer to see something new if you already have been in Malaga - go to Marbella. The TripAdvisor Comments on Bike Tours Marbella looks nice, so I would prefer the option to discover Marbella on bikes;)

this is their homepage http://www.biketoursmarbella.com

Sunny regards to everybody:)

Malaga is pretty limited. There is a ho-ho, with a stop by the port. The castle (defensive walls only, no buildings) & the cathedral - and that's about it. Just MHO for what it's worth.

There's no train service to Marbella. Train only goes to Fuengirola, then switch to a bus - or stay in Fuengirola if you want to see what a Costa del Sol tourist resort looks like :eek:

There's a train service to Ronda, but it involves a change of train with very poor connection times (like an hour on a station platform each way :eek:)

And unfortunately the timings of local buses & day-trips by local coach operators to Mijas & Ronda don't work out for port-of-call cruise visitors.

Simplest is probably a taxi to Mijas (about 30 minutes). Fix with the driver to collect you later, or plenty of taxis in Mijas. The place is worth exploring behind the touristy bit (shops, cafes, donkey & carriage rides), you'll find narrow traffic-free streets of immaculate little whitewashed terraced houses and the bull ring.

Ronda is much more spectacular, and you can take beautiful circular route - out cross-country thro white villages & super scenery, then back down the steep & twisty road to the coast near Marbella (glorious elevated views of the coast) & return to Malaga on the main drag. About 90 mins each way.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Malaga,+Spain&daddr=36.68814,-4.6877+to:36.7066751,-4.8752287+to:36.77741,-4.94044+to:36.74637,-5.14537+to:36.50518,-5.00457+to:Av+de+Andaluc%C3%ADa&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=36.625448,-4.750214&spn=0.728506,1.009369&sll=36.661809,-4.607391&sspn=0.364083,0.504684&geocode=FSBMMAIdUI68_ylR0TCNafZyDTGA5naleNIDBA%3BFQzRLwIdrHi4_ynJsC481edyDTHhEm2HeNIDEw%3BFXMZMAIdJJy1_yk3T00Ka8VyDTGxtSuIeNIDEw%3BFcItMQIdaJ20_ynBTfK-KMlyDTEw4ViJeNIDEw%3BFYK0MAId5nyx_ymdPeEBVzENDTFAWi-JeNIDEw%3BFVwGLQId5qKz_yk9ydDFidVyDTHgmqSIeNIDEw%3BFZJAMAId9HK8_w&oq=Mijas&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1,2,3,4,5&t=m&z=10

But it needs time, and a rental car or deep pockets for a car/driver (no real need for a guide).

Google those places, see what you think

JB :)

Edit.

Goddammit. Just realised this is a resurrected 5 year-old thread.

I wonder how okteach got on

Archived