Hiking The Mighty Vesuvius

What's the best way to hike Mt. Vesuvius? We'll be in Naples in October and were planning to take the Circumvesuviana to Ercolano Scavi and a bus up the mountain. Has anybody done this recently? We want to do it on an independent basis, if possible. I understand the chairlift is no longer in operation. Does it get pretty cool on top? Thanks a lot.

treesah -

We did Vesuvius two years ago. The bus ride up the mountain is interesting--the roads are littered with trash and I was amazed we didn't drive off the road due to the narrowness of the road.

Once at the park entrance there is a small fee (unless your with a tour group) and then you're free to hike up the mountain; however, before we were able to get to the top, where the crater is located we had to wait for an alpine guide to "guide" us to the top. From the top, you have an excellent view of Naples and the crater.

http://www.vesuviopark.it/brochure_ENG.pdf

set-72157600888288805set-72157600888288805

The chairlift hasn't been running since 1984, so walking is the only way up. We went in July, and it was HOT all the way up and at the top. October will probably be more moderate, but I would still take a bottle of water and a hat, since there is no shade. We went with a tour, and didn't have to pay a separate fee. Walking down was harder for me than up, as the surface is pumice, and is broken down into deep, slithery grit in some places. The view from the top is fantastic, though.

Lisa

I climbed Vesuvius on a RCI excursion back in June. The trip was good, but not overally memorable compared to the rest of my Med cruise; it was just something I "had" to do.

I agre with the other posters' comments. Keep in mind that your views will depend on how hazy Naples is on your given day. The mountain was busy but not mobbed. Locals provide basic walking sticks at the start of the trail for a donation. There are a few concessions / souvenir stands on the way up. Don't expect a very volcanic experience; we saw a few wisps of steam and that was about it. Coming down can be vry slippery due to the grit / gravel, so wear good shoes.

Archived