Illogical fear of Priceline

jer

I am contemplating using priceline for a hotel in vancouver (4 star). I'm somewhat nervous about the entire process of not knowing what I would be getting (and more to the point, where the hotel would be located). That purple circle for Vancouver (not outlying areas) has things that are pretty far out.

But I've seen several people here that are getting the Hyatt at amazing prices. Does priceline have 4-star hotels that are on the outskirts of the purple "vancouver" area...or does the 4-star force the area to be closer to the waterfront?

Is there anyway to get an idea of which 4-stars are offered out of Vancouver?

Good resources for priceline info are www.biddingfortravel.com or www.betterbidding.com. (I use the first one mostly.) It lists what has been won and the prices. It also gives bidding strategies and some overall useful info. We always refer to it before bidding.

We haven't priceline it in Alaska, but it sure has been great for some other trips. Good luck!

Sun Princess 6/04

Fascination 4/03

Nordic Empress 11/02

Sensation 6/00

Disney Magic 12/99

Dolphin Seabreeze 9/89

(it sank 12/00)

I just got the Hyatt Regency about an hour ago for $60/night (Fri and Sat) in August. As this was my first time, I was a little hesitant about it, too. Seems like the Hyatt is a popular place as many people seem to be getting it... I checked out the site www.biddingfortravel.com and did a little reading... scroll down to where it says Canada hotels, and click on British Columbia. There are several pages of people posting their results. I looked around for 4-star around the dates I needed and looked to see what people were bidding. Also, there's a whole section about hotel price bidding under the FAQ's section. Hope this helps, and good luck!

***Nancy***

Song of Norway 12/79

Tropicale 12/84

Explorer of the Seas 8/3/02

Mariner of the Seas 1/4/04

Serenading to Alaska for our 10th anniversary!

Roll call for Serenade 8/1/04 click here

Time until our next cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;8;1;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0700

I suspect that everyone who's ever bid through PL has had the same end-of-the-diving-board knot in his/her stomach. It's only natural. I get it every time I set out $5 in chips at the Blackjack table - am I being foolish? Does that make me a fool? Dare I eat a peach?

But not to worry. The benefit of Biddingfortravel.com is that you don't have to be a pioneer, all you have to be is a student. Read it all, several times if necessary. Then go to PL and start the bidding process (keep BFT open in another browser window so you can bounce back and forth if needed.) Do a "dry run" bid on PL - all the way up to where they ask for your credit card information. It will help de-mystify the process.

A warning though: it's incredibly addictive. You'll find yourself making plans to travel to other places so that you can score big hotel savings.

Response is almost always immediate. If not, they will e-mail you the results if you don't want to wait around your computer. They also give you a number so you can check on the status of your bid.

Ell icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Coral Princess - Trancanal on Sept 26, 2004

Jer, I was a nervous wreck, just like you, using Priceline for the first time. But, I bid $105 for a 3 * upscale hotel in Seattle and got the Marriott Waterfront, which is going for $249 at Travelocity! I also checked Biddingfortravel and did the trial run too but I finally just bit the bullet and am very happy with the result. You can't go wrong choosing a 4*. I'll definitely try it again. Good Luck...be brave...just do it!

We're driving up for Canada Day (July 1) for a couple of nights - I just got 2 rooms at the Hyatt Regency on Priceline for US$62 per room/night. Great hotel for that money, even better if they'll acknowledge my Hyatt Gold card (which you can get for free through Hyatt.com) - sometimes they will upgrade you even on PL reservations if you flash the card at the desk at check-in.

Archived