Usc Tour Before Cruise

whit53

My daughter and I are trying to plan a trip to tour the University of Southern California and do a Hollywood tour prior to a 3 or 4 day Monarch cruise. I don't want to rent a car. Is this a doable trip? I read that the university is in LA and the ship leaves out of LA so I thought everything would be fairly close, at least that is what I was hoping for.

The port is actually in San Pedro. It's called the "Port of Los Angeles" which leads many to believe the ship docks in L.A.

You may not need to rent a car but you'll need to arrange some type of transportation to get to the pier, and due to traffic in Southern California you should allow at least 2 hours to get from USC to San Pedro.

Those familiar with the area and driving their own cars wouldn't need this much time, but if you're using a van type pick-up and drop-off service they may be picking up other people after they get you and your daughter. Also, Friday afternoon traffic in SoCal can be a nightmare, so if you do the 3 nighter, definitely allow 2 hours.

I would call the cruise line and ask which transportation companies they recommend. Good luck. While in LA are you going to tour UCLA and Pepperdine as well? All 3 universities offer nice tours.

I just checked it out on MapQuest. USC is in the heart of L.A. and the port is about 27 miles away in San Pedro. The good news is, it's a straight shot down one freeway from USC to the pier. The bad news is, the 110 freeway can move very slowly, particularly during lunch hour and again from about 3:30 on. So although MapQuest predicts a 30 minute trip , it could actually take three times that long if you're depending on a private company to transport you. I don't mean to scare you; your trip is very doable as long as you plan enough time to get to the pier. As long as you leave your hotel by around noon (and isn't check-out time usually 11:00?), you should have plenty of time. Have a great trip. We're sailing on the Monarch on Sept 28 and can't wait!

Are you planning to do this the day of your cruise? As the others above have noted, USC is near Central LA. The City of Los Angeles is very widespread and traffic can be very daunting. The port of LA is down in San Pedro. And even though the ship may leave about 4 or 5, you would need to get to the port, go through check in and security. Many of us prefer to get on the ship with plenty of time to get oriented (and have lunch) before the muster drill.

(BTW UCLA and Pepperdine are much closer to the coast and in much safer areas...but I have to confess I have my undergrad degree from UCLA so I'm biased.)

I'll confess...I'm REALLY biased...

But it doesn't mean I'm wrong...

USC isn't exactly in "Central LA"...it's really a little south of that...

The neighborhood is not exactly good...You do NOT want to be getting there and back on "public transportation"...The kids who (pretend to) attend classes there don't even use public transportation in this area...

And, yes, what is your schedule? How many days and where will you stay?

If you are talking about flying in the morning of the cruise, forget it...

I guess you could take a cab from LAX to USC...but you'd better arrange for another cab to come get you...because cab drivers just don't hang around USC hoping for fares...

Do yourselves a big favor...Skip that USC tour entirely...Go visit UCLA...much nicer campus, much better neighborhood...

Thanks for all of your suggestions! The only reason we are keeping the tour to USC is because that is the school that offers a graduate program for Physical Therapy. I must say now I am a bit nervous about the area. I certainly don't even want to consider sending my daughter off to an area that is not safe. We will still check things out but it may not be the first on the list. I was thinking of touring the college for the day and then touring the sights for 3 days before the cruise. Would 3 days be enough time? Any suggestions on hotels?

Thanks for all of your suggestions! The only reason we are keeping the tour to USC is because that is the school that offers a graduate program for Physical Therapy. I must say now I am a bit nervous about the area. I certainly don't even want to consider sending my daughter off to an area that is not safe. We will still check things out but it may not be the first on the list. I was thinking of touring the college for the day and then touring the sights for 3 days before the cruise. Would 3 days be enough time? Any suggestions on hotels?

My sister got her physical therapy degree (doctorate) at USC. She didn't live on campus or anywhere near it, but it was definitely a great place for that program. She got a job very quickly after graduation--lots of companies specifically look for USC grads.

Another UCLA Bruin chiming in here! I hate to be supportive of our crowtown rival, but, although USC is in the middle of a very bad neighborhood, the school seems to do a pretty good job of keeping crime at bay. The students of course have to play their part and not be stupid, but they have to do that in Westwood (where UCLA is located), too. It's just a vastly different environment than UCLA, but the program is where it is. I'd recommend that she have a car and commute from someplace else, personally, especially if she's going to have late night hours.

My DH's physical therapist is a graduate of the USC PT program and seems to have specialized in Torquemada techniques from the way he describes, it, LOL. It is an excellent program by all accounts.

(pausing to yark;) ).

ANYWAY, I think you need to rent a car for the USC part to do your trip as efficiently as possible. There is a carpool lane on the 110 that you can access from near USC (Adams east to Flower, right on Flower, stay left & there's a carpool-only ramp) that will help you avoid the worst of the traffic and it really will by a 30-40 minute trip. But I think you'd have to be in LA for two days if you want to add a Hollywood tour.

My thought would be to arrive 2 days early, take a Grayline Bus tour (or some other such commercial venture - I don't know anything about them, but several CCers have posted in the past) of Hollywood & vicinity before returning to your hotel for the night. Then rent a car from Enterprise, which has a drop-off location at the port. Go to USC in the morning (use the carpool lane going north, too), then return to the hotel to pick up your luggage (don't want to leave it in the the trunk) and head for the port. Drop daughter & luggage off, have her wait while you return the car & walk or shuttle back to the pier for check-in.

And San Pedro is in the city of Los Angeles, just as Westwood is. We just like to name our various neighborhoods. But LA sprawls out for miles and miles and miles.

I had to reply - where are the rest of the USC grads? USC is not in the best of areas but the school does keep the campus and student areas well patrolled. You really should go and see for yourself.

If you are planning on going during football season - make sure the day you choose is not a game day. Traffic and parking are really really bad on campus and in the nearby areas.

Thanks for all of your input. We will go and check it out for ourselves. I am unable to drive due to visual issues and my daughter hates driving in unfamiliar areas. That is why I was hoping we didn't need to rent a car. Is this area like an island? Safe directly in this area and once you go beyond this area is where the danger lies? I am from Chicago and know how the different areas make a huge difference.

Avoid Compton.

:o

Which shouldn't be difficult, since Compton is nowhere near USC, the Port, or the 110 freeway.:rolleyes:

OP, if your daughter is seriously considering USC's program, she may as well bite the bullet and try driving before she makes her decision. Traffic is heavy all the time here (in comparison to other major cities that have fairly well-defined rush hours) and there are a few crazies, but it's nowhere near as bad as trying to navigate around New York or Northern Virginia/DC.

I suggest you contact the school and get their advice on routes, parking, etc. Enjoy your visit!

Not having an axe to grind (not associated with USC or UCLA) and being completely unbiased I thought I'd give some additional perspective. USC's location is somewhat like Columbia in New York, Penn in Philly, Univ of Chicago. Good school, great football team (different then Columbia there) and unfortunately somewhat of an enclave or island in the middle of a not great neighborhood.

In any case, don't try to visit USC the same day as the cruise. My son lives in LA & everyone is correct on the traffic nightmares. 2,000,000 people driving & texting at the same time is not cool or fun.

What you really should do is come up the road about 500 miles to UCSF and enjoy a great environment.

Go Cal Bears!

Thanks for all of your input. We will go and check it out for ourselves. I am unable to drive due to visual issues and my daughter hates driving in unfamiliar areas. That is why I was hoping we didn't need to rent a car. Is this area like an island? Safe directly in this area and once you go beyond this area is where the danger lies? I am from Chicago and know how the different areas make a huge difference.

Okay, chiming in here for a few seconds, and I do believe that I'm the best person to help you plan this out here...

Born and raised in LA, and also have family in Chicago, so I've spent many a summer (and winter!) there (I was just there in January)...

So, think of LA, more as "Chicagoland" in general.

Kind of like you can go from north of The Loop, and The Gold Coast, and down to Valparaiso Indiana, and it's all still "Chicagoland"...;)

So, kind of take all of that general idea and area into account.

USC is a great fabulous school (as I went there for a few years - my parents are both gradutes - and then I transferred to UCLA to finish my degree - my parents hang their head in shame, and BruinSteve CHEERS!):p

So, think of it as those kind of certain areas of Chicago, where it's really nice, ritzy, trendy, and "safe"; but if you "walk" a few blocks or half a mile in "the wrong" direction, then not so good.

But totally fine with no problem getting to and from (some of the BEST LA historical restaurants are all right around there!)...

So, since you have 3 months or so to plan, let me look for things; and I'll come up with some specific do-able options.

There's definitely some great cool hotels to stay at without a car in either Hollywood, or Santa Monica area that gives you a LOT of sightseeing; and safe public access to a USC tour.

Let's see, just check out this link to get your thoughts going...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=517205

I'll check back later...

CJW

Hey there...

Just wanted to let you know that I'm checking on things...

(I'm going to be away from the boards for a few days though now, work stuff);)

Just to ask (and clarify for you better), I'm realizing that the Metro and public transport here in LA, is "similar" to the Chicago "L"; just not as convenient...

If this makes sense, you know how if you are taking the L, and it can easily get you to and from where you want to go? - but at the same time, if you need to go beyond or around where it doesn't go, then you need to have a car or taxi, or someone to pick you up for the final bit?

That's kind of what we're looking at here...

At this point, I'm thinking - ask your daughter, what kind of things she'd like to see in LA - and I can find a good hotel, that will also get you easy public transport to and from USC for that tour...

Again, check the link I gave above for hotels that don't require diriving in LA...

CJW

PS Check or have her look through all of these links I'm giving right here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=517205

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=511653

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=500138

I had time to check out all of the posts....all I can say is WOW!!! Hotel California looks like a good location. Originally I was thinking of staying in or around Beverly Hills. Would Santa Monica be a better choice? I know nothing about California, as you can tell.

I appreciate all of your effort!!!

Santa Monica is a nice area. You can visit the Third Street Promenade to get a good taste of "L.A." It's a pedestrian only outdoor mall (you can park in a city parking lot if you have a car) with many eateries and stores. And plenty of street performers too.

Beverly Hills has Rodeo Drive and many fancy dancy stores, but it's a pain to drive in with tons of traffic.

Archived