Scariest Moment aboard a Cruise

trock

Last year in St. Thomas, we went on the tour with Sunny Liston. He dropped us at Sapphire Beach for a few hours. We walked up to the parking lot about 5 minutes before departure time, but nobody was there. We asked the attendants & the tour bus had already left. :eek: We were flipping out! I thought we were going to be stuck & miss the boat. The attendants called Sunny & he wound up arranging for us to go back with Godfrey who was just pulling in. It turns out that Sunny counted the number of people on the bus & had the right number. 2 people who didn't belong, got on the bus!! We tipped Godfrey for bringing us back, even though he tried to turn it down. We saw Sunny at the port & he was beyond apologetic. We tipped him as well, because it was a great tour & an honest mistake.

The most scared I was during a trip happend on our cruise to Hawaii last October. I had a severe allergic reaction to something I ate during lunch. We were in the middle of the 5 day transit from LA to Hawaii. Middle of nowhere! I had whole body meltdown due to some unknown "Jill suicide food" and ended up in the ship's ER. I never had that happen before or since. So now I have to carry and epipen with me I have had allergy testing but still don't know what molecule of food tried to do me in!

PS this thread is soooo popular. Why is it we all like to read and add to it? LOL

The most scared I was during a trip happend on our cruise to Hawaii last October. I had a severe allergic reaction to something I ate during lunch. We were in the middle of the 5 day transit from LA to Hawaii. Middle of nowhere! I had whole body meltdown due to some unknown "Jill suicide food" and ended up in the ship's ER. I never had that happen before or since. So now I have to carry and epipen with me I have had allergy testing but still don't know what molecule of food tried to do me in!

PS this thread is soooo popular. Why is it we all like to read and add to it? LOL

My DW ended up in the NCL Dawn's ER the first night we were there eating in the upscale steak place. They said nothing had eggs in it but she went into anaphalatic shock. Must say they have a good little hospital on board.

A few years ago, cruising the Caribbean in Sept, the seas were very rough. We didn't stop at Grand Cayman because of the weather. At Cozumel we took a small Mexican tender to Tulum. The waves were incredible 10 to 15 feet. The boat came near to capsizing. It was one of 2 or 3 times in my life I thot, "This is it. I am going to die." Everyone was losing their breakfast.

A lady was standing up in the middle of the boat and shouting at God saying, "Dear God. I know why you are killing me. But why are you killing all these sweet innocent people too?"

I went to the back of the boat and found what looked to be an old sailor who seemed not too worried. Nex thing I knew, he was feeding the fish.

Then we get to shore. The boat is loosely tied up but going up and down 10 feet and roughly hitting the dock with every wave. (I have videos.) Passengers are told to get off the boat. I get off and kiss the land.

There were many seniors who took a couple of steps onto the gangway and just froze hanging on to very poorly secured handrails.

Thot I was going to die. Then we got to go back.

We had that same problem with the tender (on our RCCL cruise). We were on our way to the Tulum excusion. I was sick and so were many people. The crew acted as if it was no big deal. The waves were HUGE and it seemed like it took forever. I'll have to say that was my scariest cruise moment, too. I haven't been that sick in years, either!

I will always remember the cruise we took two weeks after 9/11. There were guards all over the port when we boarded the ship in San Pedro, CA just a few miles from our home. Military boats kept circleing our ship while we waited to sail, there were divers in the water checking under the ship there were armed (machine guns) military with us walking the decks onboard until we were out to sea then a military boat picked the up. At every port we went to in Mexico , we were met at port with a full contingency of Mexican military with jeeps/vehicles with machine guns the entire time in port. Our world had really changed, it was a frightening time for us. We were always anxious to keep in touch with our loved ones at home, just wanting to know everyone was ok. It seemed that everyone on the cruise was on edge. It was an experience I will always remember.

Cori

In 1989 my parents gave me a western carribean cruise, by myself, on the Holiday. My cabin was on the floor right below the main deck and in the middle of the night I was awakened by a loud roar that sounded something like a speeding freight train coming by my cabin. The sound grew louder and louder and I grew more frightened by the minute. I threw on my robe and went out into the hall, sure that there would be other troubled and curious crusiers out there, but no one could be found. The sound was alarming by itself but as the cabin began to shake and vibrate, my fear was rampant! I tried to ring the cabin sterward, the purser, anybody!!! No one would answer. Deciding that I had no further resource nor anywhere else to go I just sat down on the end of the bed to either wait on my eminant doom or the crisis to pass. After a while, which seemed like an eternity, the shaking and then the sound subsided. I found out the next morning at a bleary-eyed breakfast, that the Asst. Purser's appendix has burst and he had been air-lifted off the ship right above my cabin.

Though he was surely in pain and dire staights he was lucky to have missed the last night at sea on that cruise when it pitched back and forth so badly that we had to eat with one hand and hold our plates and glasses on the table with the other!

Did I mention I can't wait to cruise the wester carribean this Nov?:o

I will always remember the cruise we took two weeks after 9/11. There were guards all over the port when we boarded the ship in San Pedro, CA just a few miles from our home. Military boats kept circleing our ship while we waited to sail, there were divers in the water checking under the ship there were armed (machine guns) military with us walking the decks onboard until we were out to sea then a military boat picked the up. At every port we went to in Mexico , we were met at port with a full contingency of Mexican military with jeeps/vehicles with machine guns the entire time in port. Our world had really changed, it was a frightening time for us. We were always anxious to keep in touch with our loved ones at home, just wanting to know everyone was ok. It seemed that everyone on the cruise was on edge. It was an experience I will always remember.

Cori

Scary right? My sister and BIL were on the Loveboat heading towards Bermuda.. They said everyone was crying as they watched the events unfold on the news. They said Princess could not have been more accomodating.. offering free phone/fax and drinks. They kept CNN on in the theater

My family is very tight and my sister knew I had an appointment in the World Trade Center that morning (which thank god, I overslept as we just returned from our cruise!).. They could not get through to us on the phone..for the first day or so after the attack.. they were very scared and upset. My mother was able to get a fax to the ship telling them all was ok at home.. When they docked in Bermuda the English Army or Guard (not sure what they are called) were posted all over... She said the Bermudans were great to all the cruisers.. Even inviting them to their homes to use their phones..

Sailing home due to other threats around the port and being the NY Terminal was set up as a morgue... they were rerouted to Baltimore.. There were some threats there too.. There were divers inspecting the bottom of the pier before they could dock.. They were on edge the entire time and simoultaneously having one of their best cruises ever.. Funny how the worst of man, brings out the best in man...:)

My scariest moment was after I ordered the Etouffe de langoustine which I thought was a fantastic french dish in the dining room-when the waiter brought it and I saw an ugly old craw fish(also known as crayfish) staring up at me I almost screamed.

My scariest moment was after I ordered the Etouffe de langoustine which I thought was a fantastic french dish in the dining room-when the waiter brought it and I saw an ugly old craw fish(also known as crayfish) staring up at me I almost screamed.

Its just a little "BUG.":eek:

Dan

Okay Trock, I finally have to share.

I have two scariest moments on a cruise.

First is when I was a kid about 9 or 10. Think of way smaller ships than now, so the library served double duty as the "game" room for kids (boards games, cards, hand held videos, etc.).

A friend and I started looking through the books on the shelves, in between activities. Just looking for any hardcover novels with pictures.

We found "Helter Skelter" and were at once scared out of our wits and couldn't look away! They have pictures of the crime scenes!

It was like not being able to turn away from a car accident.

So later that night, remember ships are smaller, and I'm in the top bunk - so much closer to the ceiling than they are now.

Nightmare! Aaaaargh! Sit up fast in the dark - THUNK! My head on the ceiling. Fall back asleep.

Nightmare! Aaaaargh! Sit up fast in the dark - THWUNK! My head hits the ceiling. Fall back asleep.

Rinse and repeat all night.

I had a lump on the top of my forehead the next morning.

All my parents could do was assure me that everything was okay, and laugh at the situation.

Adult scariest cruise moment.

My brother and I are on a cruise. I am being the "wingman" for him.

He likes this one young lady, so as the wingman, it is my duty to hang out with, dance with, amuse her friend.

I do this as a bro's duty. And at one point, we stand outside the deck door to the disco. It's hot in there, and we're trying to give my brother and her friend some space and privacy.

I have done nothing whatsoever to be anything but a platonic friend.

Next thing I know, she attacks me with her open mouth and tongue!

I can't breathe!

I thought I was going to die!

And it all looked just like......(click it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHO3wuNHFFc

THIS!

Good thing I didn't have an upper bunk that night, or I might have had hit my head on the ceiling nightmares again.

Whats the scariest thing to happen while you were on a cruise?

On one of our cruises, dont remember which one, a helicopter (coast guard) Picked someone up in a gurney to bring to a hospital.. I recall they had a heartattack...

It was on the way to Bermuda~~

The very first cruise I went on was a Commodore Cruise (anyone remember that one??) out of New Orleans, I believe in June of 1994? There was a high school graduation class on the boat, and some kid decided to jump off of the balcony of the boat, which was situated above the pool below. My boyfriend at the time (now hubby) and I were swimming in that pool. The boy was O.K. after the first two jumps, but on the third, he was not so lucky. He floated up right next to me, stomach and face down, with blood coming out of one ear. He checked out O.K., lucky for him. He had hit his head on the bottom of the pool. On that same cruise on another day, another girl fell out next to me in a seizure, they said from heat stroke. I also heard that some drunken idiot jumped of the boat one night and had to be rescued. It was one I will never forget.

Okay Trock, I finally have to share.

I have two scariest moments on a cruise.

First is when I was a kid about 9 or 10. Think of way smaller ships than now, so the library served double duty as the "game" room for kids (boards games, cards, hand held videos, etc.).

A friend and I started looking through the books on the shelves, in between activities. Just looking for any hardcover novels with pictures.

We found "Helter Skelter" and were at once scared out of our wits and couldn't look away! They have pictures of the crime scenes!

It was like not being able to turn away from a car accident.

So later that night, remember ships are smaller, and I'm in the top bunk - so much closer to the ceiling than they are now.

Nightmare! Aaaaargh! Sit up fast in the dark - THUNK! My head on the ceiling. Fall back asleep.

Nightmare! Aaaaargh! Sit up fast in the dark - THWUNK! My head hits the ceiling. Fall back asleep.

Rinse and repeat all night.

I had a lump on the top of my forehead the next morning.

All my parents could do was assure me that everything was okay, and laugh at the situation.

Adult scariest cruise moment.

My brother and I are on a cruise. I am being the "wingman" for him.

He likes this one young lady, so as the wingman, it is my duty to hang out with, dance with, amuse her friend.

I do this as a bro's duty. And at one point, we stand outside the deck door to the disco. It's hot in there, and we're trying to give my brother and her friend some space and privacy.

I have done nothing whatsoever to be anything but a platonic friend.

Next thing I know, she attacks me with her open mouth and tongue!

I can't breathe!

I thought I was going to die!

And it all looked just like......(click it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHO3wuNHFFc

THIS!

Good thing I didn't have an upper bunk that night, or I might have had hit my head on the ceiling nightmares again.

Curt !! Helter Skelter is a nightmare for an adult!!!

But you got me laughing again with the PeeWee video.. I love that movie.. so funny and Large Marge OMG... I am laughing so hard I have tears....

A fire in the elevator, hubby and I were at one end of ship and son was with friend on the other end. Hubby ran from one end of ship down stairs and up the other end to get him. Everything turned out OK. They put it out and we set sail again.

• 2 weeks later...

We were with my mother and stepfather for her 75th birthday. A Panama Canal cruise ( we would be in the Panama Canal on her birthday).

My wife and I had never been to Aruba which was our 2nd port of call, after a wonderful day in Jamaica. We wanted to "explore" the island. As my mother and stepfather had been to Aruba many times before, they stayed downtown. We had a wonderful time in our travels and met up with them at Carlos & Charlies downtown.

Carlos & Charlies was celebrating with my mother, literally pouring drinks down her throat from a spanish wine thingamajig. They started a line dance around the room and across what appeared to be a stage. Alas it was just another narrow bar top and my mother fell off backwards. Seconds later when I peered down at her she was laying with a pool of blood around her head!

An ambulance was soon to arrive and whisked us away to the Aruba hospital (gasp). X-rays were taken ( we now have 45 min to get back on ship!) and it was determined she needed to be examined by the neurologist the next day.

We decided that my step father would stay and we would go on and they would catch up to us at one of the next ports. We scrambled back to the port and as we got there , running, the gangplank was being retracted! They stopped and waited for the 2 of us. (ship was notified by hospital, mind you.)

As we were heading to our cabin we saw several ship's crew going through my mothers cabin taking out all luggage and opening the safe which contained several thousand dollars of cash and jewels! Wait!! We were told they did not board so we are taking over their cabin. NO -- I'll take it and my wife will stay in ours -- they will be joining us later. Made us sign lots of docs, who knows what.

The desk personnel were great about helping us get info! Ship to shore - no problem. Email was sketchy. As we wre going through the canal we were told by the Aruba hospital that they had no patient with her name and did not know what happened to her!!!!

Our only contact at this point was the travel insurance claims department ($10,000 for air ambulance - you better buy it,), very bad internet service but we finally found out she had been air-ambulanced back to Tampa and had 2 cracked vertebrae.

Even with videos of them pouring drinks down her throat and leading the crowd into a dangerous situation we were unable to sue them (carlos ) due to local laws.

Moral of the story - BE CAREFUL! You are in foreign territory and at your own risk!

We were with my mother and stepfather for her 75th birthday. A Panama Canal cruise ( we would be in the Panama Canal on her birthday).

My wife and I had never been to Aruba which was our 2nd port of call, after a wonderful day in Jamaica. We wanted to "explore" the island. As my mother and stepfather had been to Aruba many times before, they stayed downtown. We had a wonderful time in our travels and met up with them at Carlos & Charlies downtown.

Carlos & Charlies was celebrating with my mother, literally pouring drinks down her throat from a spanish wine thingamajig. They started a line dance around the room and across what appeared to be a stage. Alas it was just another narrow bar top and my mother fell off backwards. Seconds later when I peered down at her she was laying with a pool of blood around her head!

An ambulance was soon to arrive and whisked us away to the Aruba hospital (gasp). X-rays were taken ( we now have 45 min to get back on ship!) and it was determined she needed to be examined by the neurologist the next day.

We decided that my step father would stay and we would go on and they would catch up to us at one of the next ports. We scrambled back to the port and as we got there , running, the gangplank was being retracted! They stopped and waited for the 2 of us. (ship was notified by hospital, mind you.)

As we were heading to our cabin we saw several ship's crew going through my mothers cabin taking out all luggage and opening the safe which contained several thousand dollars of cash and jewels! Wait!! We were told they did not board so we are taking over their cabin. NO -- I'll take it and my wife will stay in ours -- they will be joining us later. Made us sign lots of docs, who knows what.

The desk personnel were great about helping us get info! Ship to shore - no problem. Email was sketchy. As we wre going through the canal we were told by the Aruba hospital that they had no patient with her name and did not know what happened to her!!!!

Our only contact at this point was the travel insurance claims department ($10,000 for air ambulance - you better buy it,), very bad internet service but we finally found out she had been air-ambulanced back to Tampa and had 2 cracked vertebrae.

Even with videos of them pouring drinks down her throat and leading the crowd into a dangerous situation we were unable to sue them (carlos ) due to local laws.

Moral of the story - BE CAREFUL! You are in foreign territory and at your own risk!

I am very sorry your mom went through this... But she's an adult.. and at 75 I would think she would know when to say when..and what her limitations are.... I have been to C&C quite a few times.. and since you say they have been to Aruba many times, I am sure they were well aware of the ongoings...

Sorry but I dont even think she had a case....

Just my opinion, but definitely scary!

Age 6.

Breaking the rules on the Queen Mary.

Being blown across the lido in gale force winds and rain and as I was just going over the railing being yanked from behind and pulled back on deck.

I am 52 today but still remember seeing the sea coming up to engulf me.

Thank goodness and God bless the crew member that most assuredly saved my life.

Sorry that I don't have a funny remark to make but it was not only stupid but scary. I obey the rules and regulations while on board now.

OMG...... UN-FREAKIN-BELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Age 6.

Breaking the rules on the Queen Mary.

Being blown across the lido in gale force winds and rain and as I was just going over the railing being yanked from behind and pulled back on deck.

I am 52 today but still remember seeing the sea coming up to engulf me.

Thank goodness and God bless the crew member that most assuredly saved my life.

Sorry that I don't have a funny remark to make but it was not only stupid but scary. I obey the rules and regulations while on board now.

YOU WIN!

We were on the Jewel of the Seas in the Baltic in May of 2004. On the way back from St. Petersburg we were in our balcony cabin and heard the sound of a jet buzzing the ship. Some CC friends of ours on the ship worked for NORAD and they confirmed the jet was an armed MIG. The jet made numerous, low passes and the roar was deafining. My answer to this was to shut the balcony door-lol!! DH was excited and snapped some photos of the jet. We were on the Jewel again this past April and we asked Capt. Thor (who was the captain then as well) to solve that mystery as it was never mentioned. He said he did not remember the incident, which was REALLY hard to believe:confused: .

Hey Trock--

Being so self righteous I wish you nothing but good luck. If you can't see that the elderly and infirm etc can be LED by other forces I see you have led a very sheltered life.

I DO NOT want this turned into some kind of game!

If you have problems just go away.

Trying to use the "sail and sign card" after the cruise and it is not accepted.

I had something similar happen on the cruise. The CC that I had the S&S linked too refused to let me use it on the trip after I asked them & they had no problems with me using it. :rolleyes: They started calling me everyday to confirm charges. :mad: I had to call the CC on the Elation's phone system at $10/minute & yell at them mad6.gif , then call Amex up & tell them that I wanted to use them for my S&S card. Amex had no problems & wished me well on my voyage.

I think the scariest thing that happened on any of my cruises was standing on a balcony on the Elation one evening & being mesmerized by the water. I felt like I should jump off & disappear.

Aruba hospitals are scary, too. My mom got sick the day they were leaving. They hadn't bought insurance and they couldn't switch DH and I onto the boat (one of my parents had to go and I wasn't spending a week with Dad) :eek:

Mom got sick again in Aruba and had to go to the doctor and she said it was the scariest hospital she has ever been in. She was glad when they took her back to the boat. She did they were all really nice and only charged her $5 and kept apologizing because it was so much money.

I've got a few....

Probably the worst was when we were on the Victory and one of the stabilizers gave out. DH & I were in the main showroom listening the shopping talk or something and all of a sudden the curtain behind the cruise director is completely sideways. We list back center, and then off to the left again. The CD says "we're turning, we're turning, we're still turning". Finally after a few big lists we get back stable. The captain came on later and explained what happened and apologized. Our friends were up on deck when this happened and apparently all the water flew out of the pool, deck chairs were washed to the side, and they were sorting out lost flip flops, sunglasses, etc. for a while. One friend was on her first cruise and does not drink, but needless to say she quickly bought a cocktail or two after that one. That night we were rocking pretty good, and every little list I thought for sure we were going to flip over...agree with a previous poster, should never have watched the Poseiden Adventure!

When we were on the Majesty of the Seas the power went out for an hour or so. We were up at the deck party and the DJ was rocking and all of a sudden the music stopped and the lights went out. The crew came out with megaphones and apologized and told us the deck party was over. We just wandered around deck for a while and then walked the stairs back to our rooms (all the elevators were out of service). The funny thing was when the CD did the top 10 stupid questions at the end of the cruise. "Does the ship generate it's own power? Nope, we've got a long extension cord back to Miami and someone unplugged it the other night."

We were on another one (not sure which) where the engines stopped working for a while on our sea day. All of a sudden it was very quiet on deck. Wasn't that big of a deal, except when we kept seeing Cuba get closer and closer.

We've been stuck out at sea an extra two days and had ports canceled due to Hurricane Frances. That wasn't so bad until they started to run out of food! (But luckily not booze...even gave us free drinks a few nights) Suprisingly, the first thing they ran out of was lettuce. No more salads on the menu.

And on our last cruise in May on the Imagination we had a REALLY rough trip into Cozumel. Heavy rain and lots of rocking. CD comes on and says they're doing some "exterior washing". After we got home we found out we had sailed through Tropical Storm Arthur. :eek:

Wow...after all those stories, it's amazing we're still cruising. :p

I was on the Carnival Fantasy in 92 as a high school graduation present. I didn't realize until I got in my mid 20's that I could have gotten myself in a serious situation. I am the good girl type and always play by the rules. However, I met this nice crew member guy on the trip and he kept buying me little things like pieces of jewlery, my cruise photos and so on. Well one day he asked me to go to a weird area with him probably crew only. I thought nothing of at that point but once we were in the secluded room he made advance twd me and I ran out and avoided him the rest of the trip. My older sis was in charge of me but she was to wrapped up in the guys buddy to notice me. This scarecd the crap out of me then. I did not tell my parents back then but never did anything stupid like that again. So morale of the story even good kids can make bad choices.

Archived