Scariest Moment aboard a Cruise

trock

I made it to page 4 and had to stop reading. I really thought there would be some stories that I've seen on here about the ghost on the Dawn (? I think it is).

I have 2 that were kinda scary for me.

On one cruise back in the 80's (my very first cruise), we were at dinner and they were having the flamming baked alaskan show during dinner. All of a sudden we felt a big thunk (like we had hit something), glasses and plates came flying off the tables, a few people walking fell, and the lights went out and when they came back on, they were flickering a lot. They never really said what had happened that night, but the next morning, rumor around the ship was we hit another small ship (but it didn't do any damage to ours) :confused:

The 2nd one...also on our first cruise. We went to Jamaica. We caught a cab outside the port (which was scary with everyone approaching you to buy weed the entire time) and we told the driver we wanted to go to "a beach". He said he had the perfect beach and would take us there. Well, we went everywhere, making "pit stops" along the way at some really ghetto looking areas at homes with GOATS living in them. The driver would go in and come back out and on to the next one while we waited outside in the cab. When we finally got to the beach, he said that it was hard to get a cab back, so if we paid him $80, he would come back to get us at whatever time we wanted. Being young and dumb, we agreed and paid the driver.

Upon entering the beach (you had to pay to get in), we put our things down and settled in to take in the scenery....and boy was it a scenery! Behind us were small 1 story houses, with pot plants that were SO TALL, they covered the house. All around the yard were men with shot guns holding them in their hands and standing gaurd. :eek:

Along the beach, we watch a group of 3 children (I'm guessing around the ages of 10-13 years old) going up to people sitting on the beach and try to sell them ice cream. 2 of the children would be in front of the person, trying to talk them into buying ice cream and helping them look in their container to pick out a flavor while the 3rd one was standing behind the people completely robbing them. I was so scared...we didn't move from the sand we originally planted ourselves in and didn't stay long. We didn't even swim.

Here's the thing...after about an hour drive to get to the beach...once we got on the beach and looked down the beach...THERE WAS OUR SHIP!!!! WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE!! :mad: I was totally pissed at this point. We decided to walk back to the dock ourselves (yes, we passed the cab coming back to get us) and made it back in about 15 min vs the hour it took us by cab. Of course we had to endure every person we passed ask us if we wanted to buy some smoke and every girl wanting to braid our hair, but I figured it couldn't be any more dangerous than being in a cab with a driver doing drugs runs along the way. :rolleyes:

May 1, 2009 - Panama Canal cruise

Swine flu (H1N1) declared pandemic. Chaos ensues. Are we sailing or not? Board cruiseship for Panama after long wait. Ship coming out of dry dock incomplete and dirty with major plumbing and electrical problems. Norwalk virus breaks out by 2nd day. Code Red. Then, ship loses 1st engine, then 2nd engine, dead in the water. Sick are evacuated in Cartagena. Lose most of our port stops. Many passengers miss planes due to disembarkation disorganization. One scary trip - won't name the ship, as my post would likely not appear. Glad to get off in Vancouver. Were you there?

It was on the Explorer of the Seas in Feb. We had left port in NJ at the tail end of a huge snowstorm. In the middle of the second night at sea I hear a roaring sound. I gingerly opened the drape that leads to the balcony. A flash of light blinded me. I quickly lay back down motionless. Suddenly I felt the bed tilting and the voice of the Captain comes into our room. Were we going to be told to abandon ship? No, he just wanted to reassure us that everything was okay. We had hit a rogue storm and the ship had lost power and was floundering causing us to list. But we were back on course and everyone could relax. This was our 21st cruise and I had never experienced hearing the Captain's voice in the middle of the night. SCARY? You bet!!!:eek:

PS - DH slept thru the whole thing until the Captain came on, then wanted to know what was happening. Just like a man! And we WILL cruise again!

On my first cruise on the Sensation, I was eating dinner in the MDR, and felt a huge bump. Scared the crap out of me, but forced myself to stay calm. That was the only movement I felt on the entire cruise.

But on my last cruise, while I was on the balcony at night, I heard thunder, and saw lightening in the distance. I closed and locked the balcony door, drew the curtains, hopped into bed and slept cozily all night.

Melanie

A few years ago on an Alaskan cruise, my room mate became very ill and had to go to the ER in Ketchikan. After the ER said she could come back to the ship, the ship's MD refused to accept her. She was a young physician and said she wasn't taking the responsibility. What if she became sick again? (Nothing contagious, she had asthma like breathing problems). Anyway, Carnival said there was nothing they could do. Since we weren't related, I was told I had to stay on the ship or be fined $500. Needless to say, she had to fly to Anchorage to meet up with me after the cruise.

(she has been on at least 3 cruises since with no problems). Anyway, I was scared to be on a cruise completely by myself in Alaska! Oh, did I mention that she accidently put all the tickets (airline and shuttle) in her pocketbook before she went to the hospital?

OH yeah, undisputed winner so far....how terrible!

.....I was sweating bullets as I brought my Vodka in my carry on in water bottles.

Boy, was that close! I still have nightmares!

WooHoo, just reached my 100th post. Do I get any perks for that?

:eek:

Toooo funny!!

Just a couple of weeks ago on the Glory...on the Behind the Fun tour went to the bridge. We were experiencing very rough seas (80+ knot winds). Someone in the group said to the captain: "What would you consider bad seas?" The captain gestured toward the windows with his hands and calmly replied, "well...this." Everyone got a nice chuckle, but it was a bit scary! (But fun!)

Carnival Triumph 2005

Carnival Victory 2006

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Victory 2008

Carnival Miracle 2008

Carnival Triumph 2009

Carnival Pride 2009

Carnival Glory 2010

We were on board the Coral Princess last year on a Canada/New England cruise. It was the last day and we were browsing the displays of liquor bottles and gifts outside the shops when the ship suddenly listed. The liquor bottles slowly rolled off the tables and went crashing to the floor. Everything in the gift shops including all those lovely crystal vases and perfume bottles smashed. The sound of all that crashing was scary enough but the feeling that your were going to be overboard in those 20 foot swells soon was enough to put us all in shock. I couldn't see getting everyone into lifeboats at the point. The computer room normally empty because of the high fees was finally busy with people sending their 'last' messages home. I heard that a grand piano rolled off the stage and the buffet on the top deck was mayhem. The deck we were on flooded when the hot tub above spilled into it. They had those wet/dry vacuums going constantly the next 24 hours preparing for the next guests out of New York the following day. There were minor injuries but we didn't hear much from the captain...the whole matter was hush hush.

Needless to say we have both cruised since and will again!

On my first or second cruise back in the 80s. Cunard Countess, I believe. Caribbean cruise, with a stop in Caracas.

I went ashore in a multi-level mall/building. A group of us were going up the stairs when there was a commotion below. Suddenly, two guys come running up the stairs, with guns drawn! They run by...but one stops, comes back down the stairs and looks right at me. I can't help but notice, he's pointing his big, honkin', chrome .357 magnum right at me! He gestures with the gun--I put up my hands. He gestures in a circle--I turn around. Satisfied, he runs on up the stairs. We all stood there freaked out, especially me! He came running back down in a minute--by then, he had a detective's badge on a chain around his neck. He said, "Sorry" (and seemed to mean it), then ran off down the stairs.

Later we heard there had been a jewelry store robbery in the mall, and the cops were after the thief. I guess I resembled the suspect! When the dust settled, I stepped into the men's room for a quick underwear check, splashed some water on my face, then went on to enjoy the rest of the day, and the cruise.

Well I finally got the GI trouble that some cruisers have reported. My case required me to be 'locked' in my cabin for three days and my cabin mate was moved to another stateroom. She was actually upgraded from our original inside closet, err, I mean cabin.

First night I was pretty sick, but the rolling of the ship was the most severe I had experienced in over forty years of cruising. What to do? I called the Room Stewart, no answer; next I rang Room Service and again no answer. Called the Purser and no answer. I must have slept through the PA announcement to go to the muster station I wondered. Further, there was no message about the shipping rolling on the television.

We were OK, just rough water after leaving Lisbon on our way to Madeira!

Adding to the previous poster's story about the ferry from Cozumel to Tulum: The ferry was rocking and bouncing like crazy. A fellow companion, who sails, said, "I don't like how this is going; I'm checking this out." Well, he returned to say that no one spoke English and, therefore, couldn't even tell us where the life jackets where stored - no obvious markings on storage bins. Gestures got no answers either.

Three weeks previous, sailing from St. Johns, New Brunswick, we faced a force 10 storm from Midnight to 5:00 a.m. After a few Xanax and a lot of praying, the morning did bring calm.

Adding to the previous poster's story about the ferry from Cozumel to Tulum: The ferry was rocking and bouncing like crazy. A fellow companion, who sails, said, "I don't like how this is going; I'm checking this out." Well, he returned to say that no one spoke English and, therefore, couldn't even tell us where the life jackets where stored - no obvious markings on storage bins. Gestures got no answers either.

Three weeks previous, sailing from St. Johns, New Brunswick, we faced a force 10 storm from Midnight to 5:00 a.m. After a few Xanax and a lot of praying, the morning did bring calm.

On our very first cruise in 1998 we were in Jamaica - DH insisits that I take some of his altoid mints with when we get off the ship. So I packed them in another prescription bottle as I'm asthmatic and always take my meds with. Well after a fabulous day in Jamaica My husband, sister, and brother-in-law all get back on the ship- my daughter and I are about 15 people behind them getting on when I get stopped. They wanted to know what this was in the bottle...45 minutes later I was finally allowed onthe ship after Carnival intervened for me. Husband, sister, brother-in-law watched from the lido deck ~ they found it amusing - I did not to say the least:mad:

Moral of the story - girls NEVER listen to your husbands!

On our first cruise we were the last boat out of Cozumel before Hurican Wilma hit.When we left we had the Conquest next to us and I was on the balcony and could see the huge waves hitting the Conquest and then I went down to the lobby and they were taking down everything off the shelves and tying the piano down.(also they had barf bags everywhere)The dining room was less than half full and so many people got sea sick.I have never been in the seas that were so bad.The waves were so bad that you could feel the spray on the balconys.

This was our first cruise and really the best one even though the hurican was chasing us we still got in three ports and Carnival took great care of us.

We were also on this cruise and loved every minute of it! Can't say the same thing for my mom... she didn't like all that rocking and rolling. Looking out the windows from the promenade deck, one minute you see the huge waves and then the next minute you don't.

Did you get some of those great sunset pictures, compliments of Wilma?

The most horry I ever saw was two dudes walking around with speedos on.......:eek: It cost a huge amount for laser eye surgery but my eyes are back to normal....

Cant spell either (Horror) Sry bout that

I have read every.scary.word!

Can people retreat to their rooms and feel OK in 40 foot seas? Can you even sleep like that?

I imagine that having my kids with me would keep me from freaking. You can't freak out in front of kids, right?

Also, I'm not sure I want to leave a ship for an excursion!!!!!

Our first cruise was in April 2008 (Enchantment). Five hours into it, I decided to get in the hot tub. My hat flew off, so I got out of the hot tub to get it. I put on my flip flops and my feet went out from under me.

I landed flat on my back on the metal edging of a step. It knocked the wind out of me. All I could do was cry. I was in pain for the rest of the trip (with a softball sized knot and bruise on my back). I had to have help turning over in bed and getting out of bed.

RCL sent a letter and flowers to our room. I'm sure they were afraid I would sue them or something.

On that trip, we went to Paradise Island in Cozumel. I do not know how many Tequila Sunrises I had, but I had enough that my back wasn't hurting. A quick booze nap at 4pm sounded fantastic. And I didn't wake up until 7am the next day :rolleyes: Not scary, just saaaaaad!!! Momma cannot hold her liquor!

Thanks for the interesting stories!

Scariest moment on a cruise ship?... Let me set the mood....Friday the 13th, full moon, in the Bermuda Triangle, all outside decks closed all day - no one could go outside the entire day. we were aboard the Mariner of The Seas, 85 mph winds and the waves were crashing over the pool deck! eek!

I have read every.scary.word!

Can people retreat to their rooms and feel OK in 40 foot seas? Can you even sleep like that?

I imagine that having my kids with me would keep me from freaking. You can't freak out in front of kids, right?

Also, I'm not sure I want to leave a ship for an excursion!!!!!

Our first cruise was in April 2008 (Enchantment). Five hours into it, I decided to get in the hot tub. My hat flew off, so I got out of the hot tub to get it. I put on my flip flops and my feet went out from under me.

I landed flat on my back on the metal edging of a step. It knocked the wind out of me. All I could do was cry. I was in pain for the rest of the trip (with a softball sized knot and bruise on my back). I had to have help turning over in bed and getting out of bed.

RCL sent a letter and flowers to our room. I'm sure they were afraid I would sue them or something.

On that trip, we went to Paradise Island in Cozumel. I do not know how many Tequila Sunrises I had, but I had enough that my back wasn't hurting. A quick booze nap at 4pm sounded fantastic. And I didn't wake up until 7am the next day :rolleyes: Not scary, just saaaaaad!!! Momma cannot hold her liquor!

Thanks for the interesting stories!

This reminded me of my last cruise a month and 1/2 ago. I was at Maho Beach watching the planes come in at St Maarten. Decided to head back and instead of climbing over all the rocks, went up to the road and walked the concrete barriers between the rocks/beach and the road. I decided to look back to see if there were any cars coming so that I could jump onto the road....then concrete ended and so did I !!!! I went between the concrete barrier and the next barrier. Completely scraped up my entire left leg, bleeding to death, hit my chin, tried to break my fall with my right hand, and hurt my right foot middle toe. Instantly my hand swelled, you couldn't see 4 of my knuckles, and my entire palm was bruised. I was a mess!!! The captain sent me bags and ice when we returned.

I continued to hop around the next day and even went snorkeling. The salt water burned my scraped up legs, but felt good to my swollen hand. 2 days later, we did the same...snorkeling.

2 weeks after the accident and I was home, the swelling was down and the bruising was a little better, but it still hurt really bad. I decided to get it checked out....yep, IT WAS BROKE! It was broke in a place that 99% of the people who brake it here have to have surgery. I was lucky.

I just got my cast off 4 days ago. My hand is still broke, however the doctor said it is bonded enough and still aligned and would continue to heal. No lifting, hanging, sports, anything strenuous, hitting it against anything...otherwise I would be in trouble. I'm still paying big time for this fall on my cruise. :(

Mine was an emotional trauma; I'm a middle aged man, somewhat overweight and have an excessive body hair condition. I was walking by the buffet & pool wearing my new speedo thong when everyone started laughing and taking picutres.

Ever since I've been afraid to wear it on another cruise.

Archived