Scariest Moment aboard a Cruise

trock

I got sunburned horribly on my feet and ankles in Cozumel. When I woke up the next morning it took me an hour to put my feet flat on the floor. I was so worried that I would not be able to walk off the ship the next day when we arrived back at port. I was able to walk the next day...but I had some beautiful blisters.

Ouch!!:eek: :eek:

Last week on the Valor. Nephew and son are sharing a room (21 and 24). Nephew calls my room at 5am. Says have you seen your son?? I haven't seen him in a couple of hours. Hubby and I jump up, go to daughter and friends room..no answer. Run all over the Valor every deck....no son.

Now I am nuts...go back to girls room kick the door lol....they open up...and there he is sleeping in the bed. If I wasn't so glad he didn't go overboard I would have killed him. PS. turned out him and nephew had a "problem" over a girl ...something nephew neglected to tell me....lol

Last week on the Valor. Nephew and son are sharing a room (21 and 24). Nephew calls my room at 5am. Says have you seen your son?? I haven't seen him in a couple of hours. Hubby and I jump up, go to daughter and friends room..no answer. Run all over the Valor every deck....no son.

Now I am nuts...go back to girls room kick the door lol....they open up...and there he is sleeping in the bed. If I wasn't so glad he didn't go overboard I would have killed him. PS. turned out him and nephew had a "problem" over a girl ...something nephew neglected to tell me....lol

OMG!!!:eek: :eek: Yep, the nephew could have mentioned that right at the first, huh?? Glad he was ok, but then I would have wooped him; well, as much as you CAN when he is that old!!:D :D

RCCL's Splendour of the Seas--2004

Last night returning to Galveston, we hear BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO. One of the engines caught on fire. All the sprinklers came on in the engine room, so it took a while to dry out the other engines. Going out on deck, drifting with no sound, watching the drilling rig get closer & closer.:eek: We didn't know if they would get the ship started and back on course in time. They did and all was well. However, those that boarded behind us had to deal with someone having a heart attack.

RCCL's Splendour of the Seas--2004

Last night returning to Galveston, we hear BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO. One of the engines caught on fire. All the sprinklers came on in the engine room, so it took a while to dry out the other engines. Going out on deck, drifting with no sound, watching the drilling rig get closer & closer.:eek: We didn't know if they would get the ship started and back on course in time. They did and all was well. quote]

:eek: :eek: Yikes!! Now THAT would be scary!!:)

I once saw a really fat lady up by the pool with stretched out tattoos

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG

you are too funny! But this leads us back to the other thread about covering up on the Lido Deck!:eek:

Not a scarey moment ...just a creepy one. We were on the Pride this summer and they kept calling for a passenger. We assumed he had missed the ship in port. Later that day they did a room to room search for him (never had that happen before). When we got home we found out he was missing and they found the body a few days later off shore in Mexico.

This whole event has had little to no coverage in the media. Nobody knows what happened. It's just sort of creepy when something bad happens on your cruise. I can't imagine what the family is going through trying to find out what actually happened.

Well since I've only been on one I don't have a lot of experiences to recall from....

.....this wasn't SCARY, but it was definitely EERIE. We were on the Celebration 5 day and had just left Nassau at about 11pm. My fiance' & I stood at the stern and watched the Pilot boat following us out of the harbor. The the Pilot boat slowly turned and went back towards shore....we watched Nassau slowly slip away into the darkness, and before long, it was just a reflective glimmer on the horizon. The seas kicked up to about 10-11 feet that night, so we made our way to the bow (or as close as we could get to it) and watched those whitecaps come rolling out of the darkness. I remember feeling so incredibly TINY at that moment...and then my fiance' said "You know.....we really aren't supposed to be here..." meaning in the middle of ocean in the middle of the night.

We just felt a bit in awe of the ocean & the darkness and potential power it held. I guess it's hard to explain, but we started feeling a bit intimidated. We went back inside and quickly became occupied with the sights & sounds of our cruise! :)

I know that exact feeling you are describing. It IS eerie!!

I didn't think I had a scary moment, then remembered this:

While on the Ecstasy, we were getting ready to leave Cozumel and we were up on top, watching for all the latecomers to come running down the dock. I was holding my brand new video camera when all of a sudden they sounded the horn, which apparently was right by my HEAD, and I almost dropped it!!:eek: Now, it would not have fallen into the water, but it would have slid down the glass to the deck below, probably breaking!:eek: :)

Not a scarey moment ...just a creepy one. We were on the Pride this summer and they kept calling for a passenger. We assumed he had missed the ship in port. Later that day they did a room to room search for him (never had that happen before). When we got home we found out he was missing and they found the body a few days later off shore in Mexico.

This whole event has had little to no coverage in the media. Nobody knows what happened. It's just sort of creepy when something bad happens on your cruise. I can't imagine what the family is going through trying to find out what actually happened.

That is so creepy....no coverage?!!

Well you know how when you're in the hot tub & your bathing suit kinda "balloons up", well my DH starts patting "my" bottom. :eek: Only I wasn't in the hot tub, I had got out & went to the chair only DH did not notice! The young lady whose bottom he was patting just smiled. He was so embarassed. I just laughed!

Hmmmm, well it really wasn't ON the cruise, but while in port. Cartagena, Columbia...my husband was being mauled by a...prostitue. She would not leave him alone. I asked her nicely to leave him alone, at least twice. Then that woman/cougar kicked in, and in my bestest spanish I told her she was a W#$&e, that she didn't need to service my husband because I took good care of him. A huge mob gathered around as we verbally fought back, and forth. The guards, with oozie's, from every corner made their way over to the disturbance. Our cabbie, literally plucked us out of the crowd, threw us in the car, and sped away.

Then as I was explaining my side to the friends who were with us, the cabby shook hid head, and laughed.

It was then I realized the magnitude of what had just happened. My friend Mike asked, "what did you say to her?" I told him, and he started yelling at me, "You are in a third world country! There are men on every corner with oozie's, and you are calling a woman in her own country, a ho!?

I said, "she wouldn't leave my husband alone."

He turned back around in his seat, and in his deep southern drawl said, "you are my hero."

Oh, and same cruise, back in the port of Miami...

6:30am and there is someone pounding on my door. I thought, "I'm gonna kill that cabin steward."

I stumble to the door in my undies, and a tank top. I open the door a crack, and only have one eye open. An armed female customs officer forces the door open, tells me to get out into the hallway. Then she yells at my husband and tells him to do the same.

At this point I'm thinking...what if that wasn't coffee we bought in Columbia?:eek:

Her partner, and dog search the cabin, then walk out and close the door. My husband and I fully awake by this point, just sit there staring at each other.

That has never happened before, or since. THAT was scary!

A few years ago, cruising the Caribbean in Sept, the seas were very rough. We didn't stop at Grand Cayman because of the weather. At Cozumel we took a small Mexican tender to Tulum. The waves were incredible 10 to 15 feet. The boat came near to capsizing. It was one of 2 or 3 times in my life I thot, "This is it. I am going to die." Everyone was losing their breakfast.

A lady was standing up in the middle of the boat and shouting at God saying, "Dear God. I know why you are killing me. But why are you killing all these sweet innocent people too?"

I went to the back of the boat and found what looked to be an old sailor who seemed not too worried. Nex thing I knew, he was feeding the fish.

Then we get to shore. The boat is loosely tied up but going up and down 10 feet and roughly hitting the dock with every wave. (I have videos.) Passengers are told to get off the boat. I get off and kiss the land.

There were many seniors who took a couple of steps onto the gangway and just froze hanging on to very poorly secured handrails.

Thot I was going to die. Then we got to go back.

How about this one. Cruise in Europe, aft balcony cabin. We are leaving the harbor in France and heading out to sea. A French Navy vessel goes by heading the other way. I recognize it to be a minesweeper. As it goes by I see it has its sweepers in trail! I think, "What the hell are they sweeping the harbor for?" Then I think, "Do I want to know why they're sweeping the harbor for MINES?" Barb says, "What are they doing?" "Probably a training exercise." says I.

Dan

On Sept 11th…the capitan came over the PA to annouce about the incident at the World Trade Center..my roommate and I watched in awe..after seeing what was going on in our country,,,it was really hard to try and enjoy ourselves.

We decided to go ahead to the port anyway…it was the ships private island and we needed to see a beautiful beach. One of the people in our group was a former life guard and she noticed something in the water……A middle aged man snorkeling next to the rescue jet ski(she used the lifeguard term, which I cant remember) in the water…

Unfortunately , this man was not snorkeling…he had a heart attack while snorkeling and died. Rescue went to get him and they pulled him out of the water…I have never seen anyone actually turn a blue hue….until that day..

Even though rescuers tried, it was too late…needless to say my trip was over, but I had stop thinking about me.. We all watched as the body , his widow, and several Carnival employees boarded the tender….Just the sight..normally you see a tender very full..this one had 7 at the most…so we all patiently waited for the next tender.

I really felt so bad for his wife…since their was a no-flight ban going on…she had to stay on the same ship as her deceased husband..until we got back to Port Canaveral…I never knew a cruiseship had a morgue area , until that time..

I still think about it …you can tell they were a couple ..in retirement age and was just trying to enjoy themselves…anytime someone mentions Sept 11..In addition to the victims state side, I always think of that couple..

Denise

On my very first cruise back in the early 80's...a bunch of us...all Canadians travelling alone...wound up hanging out together on the ship and excursions.

One sea day we were all on the deck in the sun...decided to go for lunch...one of the women said she would catch up. After we had all gone to our cabins...showered...changed...and headed for the Lido for lunch...we noticed our friend was not there and her room mate had not seen her.

Two of us went on the deck and found her....she had fallen a sleep in the sun!!! I have never seen anyone that badly burnt. We woke her...all she could do was moan in pain...except when we tried to get her on her feet to walk to her cabin....then she screamed. Four of the guys carried her to her cabin using the loung chair as stretcher...her room mate and another woman went for the Doc.

The Doc told us to cut her bathing suit off. There was no room for embarassment or modesty. The Doc smeared handfuls of what she called Green Goop all over her from head to foot...left a bucket of the stuff and told us to smear it all over her every four hours. It was moisturizer and topical anesthetic. She then put an IV in her arm for fluids and replaced it every four hours for the the first day then every eight hours the second day.

That poor woman suffered in serious pain for two days...she said the only thing that didn't hurt when she moved was her eye lids. On third day she felt better...and got back into the cruise....but not into the sun.

From that day on I have never questioned the power and danger of the sun in the tropics.

Scary is seeing a water blister on person's back stretching from the back of the their neck to to the top of the their butt!!

Tom:(

Archived