What does the Monarch do all night?

If on the 4 day Monarch you leave port at about 5 pm and arrive in port at about 8am, what the heck do they do during all that time??? It can't possibly take anywhere near 15 hours to get from LA to San Diego, or from San Diego to Catalina either? Do they just go out to open water and drive in circles???

The ship can hold its position using the GPS. Its sort of funny that they do that, why don't they just stay in port. On a repositioning cruise, the Serenade had to go from Nanaimo on Vancouver Island to Vancouver overnight when a car ferry can do the trip in 1 1/2 hours.

they do that on Sovereing too, I kept getting up all night to see if we were moving yet from CocoCay to Nassau. If we were doing 1 knot, I'd be fooled. The lights in the east (FLL or MIA) NEVER moved. I guess we could have just been drifting.

Sometimes you can hardly tell the ship is even moving on this itinerary.

On the 4 dayer, they go to San Diego first, probably a 2-3 hour drive by car. They go out and go in a big circle. Then, the next 2 nights they pretty much repeat the same thing, since none of the ports are very far away at all.

They do cruise a little faster and the ride is a bit rougher heading north the last night, so you actually get the feeling you're on a ship :)

Archived