Personal Choice Dining

Jeka

We prefer "Traditional" dining. In our case, we've found that Anytime dining means you can't get a table when you want it. It also appears to be the choice of those who want to dine alone, without a larger group. We enjoy comparing notes with other cruisers at dinner. It is more of a learning experience when you've got several others at your table. If you're rushed for time, there is always the buffet to fall back on.

As far as we're concerned.......only way to go! Just like at home; you dine when you feel like dining. Some nights at 6, some at 7, etc. If you are people who don't like regimentation, this is good for you.

Pia

PIA,

I have also looked at both dinig programs. The only "downside" that I heard about regarding the "anytime" dining from what I am told is this.

My TA told me that it is sort of like an "Olive Garden" type of thing where if it gets crowded, you get beepers and have to sit and wait, as opposed to having ealry or late dining seatings.I'm told if you miss your 'early seating", you can go to the "anytime" and wait there to eat.

I'm not saying one os better than the other, just saying what I was told.

Any additional input appreciated so I can choose which one we will take.

:) TIA

PIA,

I have also looked at both dinig programs. The only "downside" that I heard about regarding the "anytime" dining from what I am told is this.

My TA told me that it is sort of like an "Olive Garden" type of thing where if it gets crowded, you get beepers and have to sit and wait, as opposed to having ealry or late dining seatings.I'm told if you miss your 'early seating", you can go to the "anytime" and wait there to eat.

They do give you a beeper if there is a wait, but I never found it anything like the Olive Garden. You can stroll around or go to a lounge and order a drink, it's not congested with everyone just standing around waiting. We have never had a wait of more than 5-10 min., and usually no wait at all. As far as traditional diners going to anytime, that seems to vary from ship to ship. Some posters have written that their cruise cards were checked and they were turned away from anytime unless they wanted a permanent switch, but others have been able to do this. However, please consider how this affects the wait for those cruisers who signed up for anytime -- it doesn't seem fair that some cruisers try to have it both ways! My family really enjoys anytime -- sometimes we reserve a table with waiters we like, but often we just show up when we are ready, and the wait times have never been a problem for us.

Well, now I am confused....our first cruise is coming soon and originally I had opted for Anytime Dining - as we are late eaters anyway and generally would prefer to just be the two of us for dinner. MY HBSH is outgoing and wanted the option to get to know one waiter and establish that relationship so I changed us to Late Seating. My question and fear is (please, no one take this the wrong way) is that we will be seated with a group of people. I am pretty shy in new situations and I am not sure how comfortable I would be with that. Can it just be the two of us for dinner? We are so looking forward to getting away from the stresses of a blended family with teen-agers and all that baggage and having some time to just be the two of us.

Esmo

Well, now I am confused....our first cruise is coming soon and originally I had opted for Anytime Dining - as we are late eaters anyway and generally would prefer to just be the two of us for dinner. MY HBSH is outgoing and wanted the option to get to know one waiter and establish that relationship so I changed us to Late Seating. My question and fear is (please, no one take this the wrong way) is that we will be seated with a group of people. I am pretty shy in new situations and I am not sure how comfortable I would be with that. Can it just be the two of us for dinner? We are so looking forward to getting away from the stresses of a blended family with teen-agers and all that baggage and having some time to just be the two of us.

Esmo

It is possible to request a table for two in Traditional Dining, but there are fewer (depending on the ship) than in the Anytime dining rooms. Please don't misunderstand me, I don't mean this to sound flip, but it sounds to me like you and your HBSH (what the heck is that??) need to negotiate whether his need for a relationship with his waiter is greater than your need to avoid forced sociability. I'm just like you -- I really hate that part of dining and always prefer a non-share table. You two could have the best of both worlds by taking Anytime Dining, requesting a table for two, and when you find a waiter you like (which hopefully will be no later than the second night), reserve that table for the rest of the cruise. They're usually happy to make reservations for 8pm and after. That's what I did -- worked perfectly.

PIA,

Ask your TA how many times she's cruised on Princess. We've cruised with them over 350 days.

Personal Choice Dining is fantastic. Eat when you want and with or without other diners as you so choose. To us, this is a real selling point right now for Princess vs. Royal Caribbean. That said, the concept of Personal Choice Dining is the trend of the future. Royal Caribbean is, I understand, testing it as well. I imagine they will convert to it soon. I'm hoping they convert before 12/08 when we sail on them.

We love PCD and wouldn't even consider traditional dining as long as Personal Choice Dining is an option.

Archived