we will be spending 5 post cruise days in Madrid and will appreciate some guidance on what to look for...we have received lots of advice on barcelona from these boards, but i have not heard too many cc views on sight worthy attractions in madrid, other than the bull fights...which is not really of that much iinterest to us...we are two seniors, not accustomed to hiring private drivers..we usually hike it...and look for a spot to rest.

any tips will be appreciated.

We spent one week in Madrid in 2001. Great City! Stayed at Hotel TIJACAL on Plaza Mayor. Great location, but need to know not all of the rooms have bathrom ensuite. Other than that the Hotel was great. English was spoken at checkin. We did a tavern crawl one nignt through walksofspain.com. This was totally great. Andres was our guide & it was well worth the $. Enjoy!

Wendy

We're planning on 4 nights PRE-cruise in Madrid...before flying up to London to catch the Connie...

Last time I was in Madrid was 1975...so, I'm not the greatest expert...

But, my absolute highlight on that trip...and a place I will definitely visit again...was the Prado--one of the world's great art museums...The highlight for me in the Prado was Hieronymous Bosch's "The Garden of Earthly Delights"--an absolutely entrancing work of Art on three panels...

We also plan on taking a day and heading over to Toledo--a remarkable historical city not far out of Madrid...

Hopefully others here will give us both some additional ideas...

Madrid is a great city. We spent a week there in 2000. Steve is correct, if you have time go to Toledo as it is not too far away and it is a special place - "holy Toledo" is its special name.

One day we went on a wonderful trip on our own using the train and local bus to El Escorial where there is a wonderful palace and also a monument to the dead.

Our favourite art gallery was the Museo Thyssen Bornemisza, a fabulous private collection of wonderful paintings.

We stayed at the lovely Excelsior hotel which was very close to all the art galleries, the big park and the shopping. It is an exciting city.

Here are a couple of web pages which may help you:

http://www.idealspain.com/Pages/Places/Madrid.htm

http://www.geocities.com/ruzzyaman56/madrid.htm

Jennie

We stayed at the Riena Victoria in Plaza Santa Anna. Loved it. BUT, I read on these boards that it may be closing for renovations.

As for Museums; Prado, Thyssen Bornemisza, Riena Sophia (Guernica), Military Museum right next to the Prado (to see the sword of El Cid), and the Museo Ceralbo. Ceralbo is the only one that isn't within a half mile of the rest. Its near the Plaza Espana. We really liked that one.

Also, head over to the Royal Palace. Its a nice tour.

Agree on a side trip to Escorial. It's worth the effort. Didn't make it to Toledo and have regretted it ever since.

As for Madrid. It is a late night city. More so than Barcelona. Sleep late and make sure to hit the Tapas bars around 5:00. Dinner at 10:00 will be early. Try to find a place that serves Roast Suckling Pig. I believe that Casa Botin near the Plaza Mayor is serves a great pig.

Masters of Spanish Painting 101

1. Visit "El museo del Prado" must see Goya and Velazquez. Goya is my favorite ( famous for La maja vestida and La maja desnuda but I like his latest darker period, really modern for his time), but Velazquez Las Menina's is a must see.

2. Go to Toledo where you will find El Grecos work. Love Toledo and is really close to Madrid

3. Go to el Museo Reina Sofia to see Picasso's El Guernica. Do you know that Picassos master paint was not allow to go to Spain until Francos death? It was Picassos last wish for the painting to stay in Spain but not before Francos Death and the French Gov. was not too happy to let it go.

4. My last (but not least) favorite spanish artist is Miro, but you will need to go to Barcelona to enjoy his work.

Besides El Escorial and Toledo, Segovia and Avila are close to Madrid too. In Segovia you can visit La Granja, used to be the summer palace for the royal family (ages ago), see the "acueducto" and eat the most famous "cochinillo" in Candido.

Spanish restaurants are really good, and the food is not expensive. The spanish hate to see americans eating in Burger Kings and Mac Donalds to them is almost an insult. Try their food as I said before is really good.

If you are going with kids you can take the metro and visit the zoo, really good too and spend a couple of hours in El Retiro, Madrid most famous park, where you can rent paddle boats.

Madrid's night life is A plus, try to have some tapas in Old Madrid.

Also Must see in Madrid

_La Cibeles fountain and La Puerta de Alcala

Hope this helps;

Lydia

Archived