Cell/Mobile Phone Usage by Cingular/AT&T Customers on HAL Ships

LauraS

• Administrators

I did try to find the discussions about this subject on the forum, but found there were a few too many -- so I decided to post as a "new thread" instead.

I've heard from the nice folks over at SeaMobile (they are the ones that provide the cell service (among other things) on HAL ships) regarding Cingular/AT&T customers who attempt to use their mobile (cell) phones while on cruise ships with SeaMobile's technology. Here's what they had to say:

"The only reason for [the lack of access] is that Cingular/AT&T is unwilling to enter a roaming partnership agreement with SeaMobile. We have tried repeatedly to secure a roaming agreement that would serve their customers and they will not grant one."

SeaMobile went on to say:

"The fact is that Cingular/AT&T is unwilling to give us a roaming agreement yet we have agreements with 148 other carriers worldwide. We would be happy to serve Cingular/AT&T customers who cruise with lines that have SeaMobile technology, if only Cingular/AT&T would work with us."

Hope this helps,

Laura

Laura,

That is a good subject to discuss. My most recent cruise on RCI, I noticed while at sea, my Cingular/AT&T Phone read,Cingular@Sea. I had no idea my phone would work until it rang. So I used it a few times not knowing I was being charged $2.49 per minute. Upon returning home, I called Cingular and asked about this and they were unable to give me a answer and credited each call to 99 cents a minute, just like international Mexico rates.

So, at the time in May 07, there was some type of "@ Sea Service for Cingular/AT&T cell phone users, but be aware, it is $2.49 a minute.

bb

Laura..I too have cingular..I had no problems using it in Puerto Rico and St Thomas....but when I tried to use in Tortola, I just kept getting the messege..Can only make emergency call to 911...When we left Torftola the phone worked fine at sea....just checked my bill and I was not charged roaming charges for the at sea call...wonder if I had been close enough to St Thomas and connected thru them....what a pain tho, if someone needs to make a call with Cingular at sea and they find out then there is no agreement...

This will probably incite a riot, but with my experience on my most recent cruise, I have to say that allowing cell phone service at sea was a BAD idea.

First of all, I (like most people, I assume) go on vacation to get away from the cell phones and office e-mail and all that. I do like to be able to contact my husband when we don't travel together, so shipboard e-mail/instant messenger works great, as well as using my cell phone while in Puerto Rico or St. Thomas. That's always been enough for me, especially since I know that in the case of an emergency, someone from home can always contact me using the shore-to-ship phone number, albeit expensive.

Well, I went cruising with my friend earlier this August on the Adventure of the Seas. It was her first cruise ever (actually, her first vacation ever), and she found out one day into our trip she just couldn't live without cell phone contact with her boyfriend, so she used her Alltel phone. Alltel also does not have an at-sea service rate, so she was paying international roaming ($5-$6/min) in addition to whatever the SeaMobile service charges ($2.49/min?). I don't even want to see her cell phone bill.

Anyway, the problem was is that she had her cell phone with her EVERYWHERE...in the dining room, in the theater, by the pool, everywhere. I was almost embarrassed...I mean, who brings a cell phone to the formal dining room and places it on the table waiting for it to ring? Yikes. The point is, although that was annoying, she was, by far, in the minority. Most folks did NOT use their cell phones all the time around the ship. However, I'm sure once the at-sea mobile technology keeps expanding and more people are aware that they can use their phones at sea, it will only be a matter of time until we are surrounding by cell phones at the dinner table and elsewhere. :(

This will probably incite a riot, but with my experience on my most recent cruise, I have to say that allowing cell phone service at sea was a BAD idea.

First of all, I (like most people, I assume) go on vacation to get away from the cell phones and office e-mail and all that. I do like to be able to contact my husband when we don't travel together, so shipboard e-mail/instant messenger works great, as well as using my cell phone while in Puerto Rico or St. Thomas. That's always been enough for me, especially since I know that in the case of an emergency, someone from home can always contact me using the shore-to-ship phone number, albeit expensive.

Well, I went cruising with my friend earlier this August on the Adventure of the Seas. It was her first cruise ever (actually, her first vacation ever), and she found out one day into our trip she just couldn't live without cell phone contact with her boyfriend, so she used her Alltel phone. Alltel also does not have an at-sea service rate, so she was paying international roaming ($5-$6/min) in addition to whatever the SeaMobile service charges ($2.49/min?). I don't even want to see her cell phone bill.

Anyway, the problem was is that she had her cell phone with her EVERYWHERE...in the dining room, in the theater, by the pool, everywhere. I was almost embarrassed...I mean, who brings a cell phone to the formal dining room and places it on the table waiting for it to ring? Yikes. The point is, although that was annoying, she was, by far, in the minority. Most folks did NOT use their cell phones all the time around the ship. However, I'm sure once the at-sea mobile technology keeps expanding and more people are aware that they can use their phones at sea, it will only be a matter of time until we are surrounding by cell phones at the dinner table and elsewhere. :(

Sorry, one day I had to take my cell phone with me to dinner. We cruised without our kids and we had a slight blurp in our arrangements so thank god I had my Alltell phone with me and that it worked! Normally I would not have taken my cell phone anywhere with me on the ship but I was so glad I had it with me and I was able to take care of something from the middle of the Atlantic ocean! As soon as everything was back on track the phone was put back in our cabin. I can't imagine being on the phone while on a cruise ship if it wasn't absolutely necessary.

Yeah, I think in case of an emergency or something like you mention, it's no big deal. I guess it just grated on my nerves when my friend had her phone EVERYWHERE for no good reason...just because she couldn't bear to be away. I have a feeling that there might be a lot of people like that...or people who will be "working" while onboard ship and need to stay in contact with the office or whatever. I dread the day...

"The only reason for [the lack of access] is that Cingular/AT&T is unwilling to enter a roaming partnership agreement with SeaMobile. We have tried repeatedly to secure a roaming agreement that would serve their customers and they will not grant one."

So there are no roaming agreements between ATT and SeaMobile? I wonder why ATT posts SeaMobile's rates on their website? (Grant this is Cingular's old International page.) Maybe something has changed now that ATT is running the show?

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp

I'm heading out on the Conquest next week. I plan to find out if the BlackBerry network is accessible via SeaMobile's GSM and CDMA networks. I'll also see if ATT is accessible.

(Don't flame me about cell phones use cruise ships. I'm an Engineer for a cell phone company, this is more professional curiosity. I also teach a class on cell phone etiquette to our sales folks.)

We are taking the Victory Sept 8 out of NYC. I will have my phone with me most of the time, because it is a windows mobile phone and I have my notes about what we are doing in port etc in it and plan to take notes in it as we are on our trip. While on board and in the Canadian ports I will have the phone portion turned off. Will check for messages in Boston and Portland only. So as it may seem I have my phone the phone mode will not be on when on board the ship.

Okay, maybe I should rephrase what I said earlier. I don't really mind if someone is carrying around their phone all day (it's them carrying it, not me!), especially if there's a good reason (testing out service, using your smartphone as a PDA for information, etc.). It just irked (and irks) me to no end when I'm on vacation to "get away from it all", and others are attached by an electronic leash to everything at home with no good reason. (Emergencies, illnesses, change in travel plans...all good reasons. You miss your significant other and have to talk to them 12 times a day...not a good reason. You get my drift...) :)

Yeah, I think in case of an emergency or something like you mention, it's no big deal. I guess it just grated on my nerves when my friend had her phone EVERYWHERE for no good reason...just because she couldn't bear to be away.

One of the many reasons I love solo cruising :).

Marie

According to the link you kindly furnished, these are the cruise lines on which you can use ATT/Cingular...

Carnival Cruise Line

Celebrity Cruise Line

Disney Cruise Line

Island Cruise Line

Norwegian Cruise Line

Princess Cruise Line

Regent Cruise Line

Royal Caribbean International

Seabourn Cruise Line

Semester at Sea

Windstar Cruise Line

So there are no roaming agreements between ATT and SeaMobile? I wonder why ATT posts SeaMobile's rates on their website? (Grant this is Cingular's old International page.) Maybe something has changed now that ATT is running the show?

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp

I'm heading out on the Conquest next week. I plan to find out if the BlackBerry network is accessible via SeaMobile's GSM and CDMA networks. I'll also see if ATT is accessible.

(Don't flame me about cell phones use cruise ships. I'm an Engineer for a cell phone company, this is more professional curiosity. I also teach a class on cell phone etiquette to our sales folks.)

The rates you are seeing on AT&T's site are for cruise ship roaming with WMS, not Seamobile. since HAL has not installed the WMS switch (some lines have both a WMS & Seamobile switch) there can be no roaming (data, voice, text) with an AT&T phone. AT&T will not sign an agreement with Seamobile -because AT&T owns about half of WMS. (Seamobile owns the other half, surprisingly) the only ships that show up on the AT&T site are ones that have the WMS equipment.

it is interesting (at least to fellow geeks) that both Seamobile & WMS use the same satellite for their back haul to the US.

According to the link you kindly furnished, these are the cruise lines on which you can use ATT/Cingular...

Carnival Cruise Line

Celebrity Cruise Line

Disney Cruise Line

Island Cruise Line

Norwegian Cruise Line

Princess Cruise Line

Regent Cruise Line

Royal Caribbean International

Seabourn Cruise Line

Semester at Sea

Windstar Cruise Line

AT&T/Cingular works on those cruise lines because their maritime cellular support contract is through SeaMobile's competitor, Wireless Maritime Services (WMS), which is 51% owned by AT&T! :eek: SeaMobile is a very successful recent start-up and AT&T/WMS desperately want to crush them. BTW all HAL ships are fitted with the equipment to use EITHER maritime cellular support company....but current HAL contract is with SeaMobile. Last year it was with WMS....and AT&T (known last year as Cingular) worked fine on HAL ships.

Hope this helps explain some of the details. I've been researching this for some time now since I discovered the issue and am only three weeks away from a cruise from Seattle to Singapore (32 days) on HAL's ms Amsterdam. Emergency cell communications during long at sea periods would have helped my "senior" Mom back home feel a bit better about my being so far away. She's learning email real quick now! (And she's getting good at it! "You Go, Mom!!!")

But, on the upside: Thanks, AT&T, for saving me so much money! No service, no $$$s! :)

Thanks Gadgetgod and Foxpaw. I missed the part about this being on HAL ships.

Do either of you know if WMS or SeaMobile has access to the BlackBerry network?

as long as your provider has a roaming agreement, you should have full BB access. My understanding is the Mobile switch is able to use EDGE (on the GSM side) and 1xRTT (on the CDMA side).

Jimbug, I agree with you. I really am tired of seeing people with phones pasted to their ears and overhearing everyone's conversations. I once overheard an cellphone argument in the next cubicle in a dept. store Ladies Room. Couldn't get away from that one!

Archived