Our First Cunarder

Wadadli1

Dear Friends,

On Friday Paulie and I will be leaving on QM2 on our first Cunard voyage. It doesn't seem like the first time, because I've learned so much from all of you over the years. Thank you, but I've got two little questions of my own that I don't ever recall anyone asking...

1) How slow does the ship have to travel in order to make it take 2 days to get to Halifax from NYC? Ok, ok, 1.5 days.

2) Can you fly a kite off the back of the ship? Which leads back to #1, is the ship going fast enough?

If there is any advice you wish to give us, please don't hesitate.

Oh boy--we're going to have to pack tomorrow! :p

Dear Friends,

On Friday Paulie and I will be leaving on QM2 on our first Cunard voyage. It doesn't seem like the first time, because I've learned so much from all of you over the years. Thank you, but I've got two little questions of my own that I don't ever recall anyone asking...

1) How slow does the ship have to travel in order to make it take 2 days to get to Halifax from NYC? Ok, ok, 1.5 days.

2) Can you fly a kite off the back of the ship? Which leads back to #1, is the ship going fast enough?

Oh boy--we're going to have to pack tomorrow! :p

Hi Angela,

Have a truly wonderful trip on your first Cunard voyage:) . We were not disappointed and I am sure you will find the QM2 everything you expected her to be. Tell us all about it when you get back.

You've noted the bridge viewing area - deck 12 forward on port side - I trust. Worth a look.

Commodore Club in the morning - fantastic view.

Be on the raised bit on deck 12 for sailaway so that you can hear - and see - the whistle. Then remember that next March you'll hear the best whistle at sea.

As you are new to Cunard, you should escape Pol Acker. I anticipate you'll have a bottle of Perrier Jouet which you'll be fine with. However anything offered free and described as champagne would make a Frenchman very angry. Avoid it. They had (indifferent) wine available as an alternative at the Captain's do.

Try the steak. But don't expect it to match the W=A. That having been said, it's as good as I've had anywhere else (other than said W=A).

Remember what I said about the Titanic Graves.

But above all, enjoy the second best ship afloat!

All the best to you both.

Matthew

Dear Friends,

2) Can you fly a kite off the back of the ship? :p

If this is a serious question then the answer is no. There are actually signs back by the kiddie pool that ask that specifically ask you to refrain from this activity.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Hey Angela...I'll be tied up with company starting in the morning...don't want to miss wishing you the very best BON VOYAGE. Truly hope you love her as so many of us do.

What to do???EVERYTHING!!! Commodore Club any time day or night...definitely be all the way up top, in front of the horn for sailaway. Personally I think it's awesome, especially knowing that one of them is the original Queen's...has something special about it to me. Make the time to wander everywhere you can, even though your time is limited, and don't miss arriving in the Commodore Club via the outside elevator...use the one on the port side.

Stay up way past your bedtime...you can sleep when you get home...have room service on the balcony and feel so very pampered.... Can't wait to hear your thoughts when you return...wear the dolce de leche in good health!;)

Most of all...have the time of your life!!! I'll be thinking of you.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Hi Angela,

Have a truly wonderful trip on your first Cunard voyage:) . We were not disappointed and I am sure you will find the QM2 everything you expected her to be. Tell us all about it when you get back.

Thank you, Robin. Actually, the expectations part of my mind is free and clear. The part that's full is trying to remember everything I've been told not to forget!

You've noted the bridge viewing area - deck 12 forward on port side - I trust. Worth a look.

Commodore Club in the morning - fantastic view.

Be on the raised bit on deck 12 for sailaway so that you can hear - and see - the whistle. Then remember that next March you'll hear the best whistle at sea.

As you are new to Cunard, you should escape Pol Acker. I anticipate you'll have a bottle of Perrier Jouet which you'll be fine with. However anything offered free and described as champagne would make a Frenchman very angry. Avoid it. They had (indifferent) wine available as an alternative at the Captain's do.

Try the steak. But don't expect it to match the W=A. That having been said, it's as good as I've had anywhere else (other than said W=A).

Remember what I said about the Titanic Graves.

But above all, enjoy the second best ship afloat!

All the best to you both.

Matthew

Yes, Deck 12. Where the whistle makes you jump out of your shoes if they aren't tightly laced. I won't forget that. ;)

We did sign up for the Anniversary thing. And I'm already booked for a chiropractic massage--using my shipboard credit. Paulie will use his for gin and tonics.

Steak? Really? Ok, if you say so.

I couldn't forget about the Titanic graves.

It's a big ship, isn't it?

Have a fabulous time Angela and Paul :D We're heading off on our first ever cruise on the Pacific Star on Saturday. Nothing like the ship you're going on !! But maybe we'll get there one day ??

cheers

Vanessa:D

Thank you, Vanessa. We hope to come to Australia one day and sail with all of you. Maybe we can all go together? :p

Hey Angela...I'll be tied up with company starting in the morning...don't want to miss wishing you the very best BON VOYAGE. Truly hope you love her as so many of us do.

What to do???EVERYTHING!!! Commodore Club any time day or night...definitely be all the way up top, in front of the horn for sailaway. Personally I think it's awesome, especially knowing that one of them is the original Queen's...has something special about it to me. Make the time to wander everywhere you can, even though your time is limited, and don't miss arriving in the Commodore Club via the outside elevator...use the one on the port side.

Stay up way past your bedtime...you can sleep when you get home...have room service on the balcony and feel so very pampered.... Can't wait to hear your thoughts when you return...wear the dolce de leche in good health!;)

Most of all...have the time of your life!!! I'll be thinking of you.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Hi Penny! Paul's plan is to arrive right about the time they crack the doors open and begin provisioning the ship. We will attempt to see as much of everything as possible from the moment we get there!

Commodore Club via outside elevator on port side--check. Thanks!

Don't whack me or anything, but I'm not wearing the dulce dress.:eek: This is my chance to wear the black velvet one and so the dulce will wait until next time. Four days isn't long enough, is it? I am bringing my smaller version of the heart of the ocean necklace. ;)

Mouthwash instead of Pol Acker--check.

You know that I'm so curious about this stuff that if I see an open bottle of it I'm going to have to try a swig. I like trying stuff that tastes bad (within reason) just to enjoy the sensation of Argh!

We haven't told anyone at work we're going. So if there are any conversations about, "What did you do over the holiday weekend?", we may have the most unique story to tell.

If this is a serious question then the answer is no. There are actually signs back by the kiddie pool that ask that specifically ask you to refrain from this activity.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Yes, I'm serious. What, are you saying I'm being childish? :p I'll bring my pirate flag then.

Then Paulie won't ask if he can parasail, as he won't be serious!

Thanks Morrie.

... the expectations part of my mind is free and clear. The part that's full is trying to remember everything I've been told not to forget!

Forget about trying to see, experience, eat, drink, etc., etc., all those things that have been recommended to you on the QM2. It's a dead certainty that your first voyage on the QM2 will not be your only voyage on the QM2 because you are going to love that ship. So stroll to the Commodore Club, amble around Deck 7 (don't let the jog nuts rush you or run you over), dawdle in the library. You are going to have a great time, tell us about it at your leisure.

Bon Voyage, Antiguan beer lady,

Paul

Forget about trying to see, experience, eat, drink, etc., etc., all those things that have been recommended to you on the QM2. It's a dead certainty that your first voyage on the QM2 will not be your only voyage on the QM2 because you are going to love that ship. So stroll to the Commodore Club, amble around Deck 7 (don't let the jog nuts rush you or run you over), dawdle in the library. You are going to have a great time, tell us about it at your leisure.

Bon Voyage, Antiguan beer lady,

Paul

This is what I have on my personal itinerary so far:

Hike around the ship and see for myself all those wonderful places I've seen pictures of.

Commodore Club, lots of that. Look out the windows there a lot, too.

Eat.

Promenade on the Promenade deck.

Sit in a deck chair and watch the ocean. Install trip wire for overzealous joggers.

Drink champagne.

Try and take pictures, although I tend to live in the moment and forget to do so.

If I wear my "Titanic Swim Team" t-shirt do you think I'll be tossed in the brig?

Thanks, Paul.

This is what I have on my personal itinerary so far:

Hike around the ship and see for myself all those wonderful places I've seen pictures of.

Commodore Club, lots of that. Look out the windows there a lot, too.

Eat.

Promenade on the Promenade deck.

Sit in a deck chair and watch the ocean. Install trip wire for overzealous joggers.

Drink champagne.

Try and take pictures, although I tend to live in the moment and forget to do so.

If I wear my "Titanic Swim Team" t-shirt do you think I'll be tossed in the brig?

Thanks, Paul.

Don't forget to go down to 2 deck and sit by the windows, especially if you get any weather.

Sounds like you are going to have delightful weather.

I told Marc tonight I am still trying to figure out a way to sneak down to Brooklyn and get on board!

Karie,

who is sad for me, happy for you!

On Friday Paulie and I will be leaving on QM2 on our first Cunard voyage.

Have a fantastic voyage. Don't do anything I wouldn't do (and that doesn't leave much you can't do:p )

The QE2 takes about 18 hours to cross the English Channel - a car ferry does it in a couple of hours! She doesn't go slowly, she just goes round and round in circles:D

I've not been on QM2, but I've never seen any prohibition signs on QE2. You might fly a kite but I doubt she'd go fast enough for parasending:D

How slow does the ship have to travel in order to make it take 2 days to get to Halifax from NYC? Ok, ok, 1.5 days.

New York to Halifax is 593 nautical miles - so to cover that in 36 hours would need ~16.5 knots. Another option, of covering it in 12, so you arrive the following morning would need around 60 knots - so not on. If the QM2 went top speed (28.5 knots) she'd do it in 20 hours - so you'd arrive a little after mid-day - assuming a 5pm sailing. World Port Distances here:

http://www.distances.com/

Have a wonderful time on the QM2 - following the heritage trail panels is fun - see if you can spot Norma Shearer with toy boy husband #2.....;)

Peter

Angela and Paul,

Bon Voyage to both of you. This short trip is just going to whet your appetite for your longer cruise. Don't forget to dance a few dances in the Queens Room and join a trivia team. I would think the two of you would be great trivia players. It is a fun way to meet others. Can't wait to read your review. Enjoy every minute.

When your co-workers ask how you spent your weekend, you can say, "Oh, we went to visit the Queen!".

Beth

Steak? Really? Ok, if you say so.

Now I'm worried you'll be disappointed!

I couldn't forget about the Titanic graves.

Good. I'm still angry from my visit.

It's a big ship, isn't it?

Huge. Although she shrinks after a while. She makes more sense than you think at first blush.

Enjoy yourselves!

Matthew

Have a fantastic voyage. Don't do anything I wouldn't do (and that doesn't leave much you can't do:p )

The QE2 takes about 18 hours to cross the English Channel - a car ferry does it in a couple of hours! She doesn't go slowly, she just goes round and round in circles:D

I've not been on QM2, but I've never seen any prohibition signs on QE2. You might fly a kite but I doubt she'd go fast enough for parasending:D

Hmm. Going around in circles reminds me of some of those figure 8s that are done during sea trials. Maybe some of those? :p

I'm taking the pirate flag since there's no kites, boo hoo.

New York to Halifax is 593 nautical miles - so to cover that in 36 hours would need ~16.5 knots. Another option, of covering it in 12, so you arrive the following morning would need around 60 knots - so not on. If the QM2 went top speed (28.5 knots) she'd do it in 20 hours - so you'd arrive a little after mid-day - assuming a 5pm sailing. World Port Distances here:

http://www.distances.com/

Have a wonderful time on the QM2 - following the heritage trail panels is fun - see if you can spot Norma Shearer with toy boy husband #2.....;)

Peter

Aha! Look at that! A measly 16.5 knots. That's just enough for a bit of a breeze.

That web site is super, Peter, thanks! It's bookmarked.

Norma Shearer + boy toy--check. ;)

Angela and Paul,

Bon Voyage to both of you. This short trip is just going to whet your appetite for your longer cruise. Don't forget to dance a few dances in the Queens Room and join a trivia team. I would think the two of you would be great trivia players. It is a fun way to meet others. Can't wait to read your review. Enjoy every minute.

When your co-workers ask how you spent your weekend, you can say, "Oh, we went to visit the Queen!".

Beth

Beth, are you sure we can fit all this in PLUS a trip to visit the Queen? That ship is going to have to go faster than 16.5 knots, that's for sure. :p

See you soon!

Archived