Hydrofoil To Sorrento

I will be arriving in Naples on a cruise ship next month. I was planning on taking the hydrofoil from the Naples dock to Sorrento. Is the Hydrofoil dependable. Would appreciate any info on this. Thanks

I took a hydrofoil from Naples to Capri. It was fast, comfortable service. It departed on time. But as with any form of transportation, things could happen. You can always take a taxi back to Naples from Sorrento.

I will be arriving in Naples on a cruise ship next month. I was planning on taking the hydrofoil from the Naples dock to Sorrento. Is the Hydrofoil dependable. Would appreciate any info on this. Thanks

It is easy to take the ferry/hydrofoil to Sorento. The dock is next to the cruise pier. The risk with ferry service is the weather. When its is stormy they may not run. If you get to Sorento you can always ake the train to Naples and can even stop at Pompeii on the way back and reboard the tain to Naples. Just buy a ticket from Sorento to Naples. The stop at Pompeii is free. Recommend a taxi from the train station to the port. You can take a bus but the area around the train station is dangerous. Advise against any flashy jewelry and keep your money in a money belt or neck pouch.

Some helpful websites: www.trenitalia.it, www.initaly.com, www.napoli.it , www.actv.it (ferry schedules)

We just returned from a Med cruise and took the SNAV hydrofoil from Naples to Capri and then from Capri to Sorrento. The first hydrofoil was terrible! Many people including my DD and me were very sick! Much vomiting into plastic bags that they distributed. We felt so bad that we missed the next portion of our excursion. I had trouble getting DD onto another hydrofoil to Sorrento but we stood outside in the back and did OK. I heard that others could not get their families back on the hydrofoil and had to find alternate means to get back to Naples. They missed their tours of Pompeii as a result. Just giving you a heads up!

UMTerp

I was in the Sorrento area for a couple of weeks in September 06. We did ferries from Sorrento to Capri and back which were very rough, and on a trip from Sorrento to Positano the smell of diesel was extremely strong and made me feel quite ill.

On a couple of occasions when we wanted to use the ferry it was stopped due to heavy seas (though the seas looked OK from the land), including a day we went to Naples by train and wanted to go back by ferry.

The trains from Sorrento to Naples are every half hour, and from memory will take about 1 1/4 hours. The stop at Pompeii is not strictly free, but rather that the ticket is valid for a timed duration. I can't remember how long, but you will need to check as if you spend a long time in Pompeii you may need to get another ticket to complete the journey. However, they are very cheap, I think about 3 euros 50 from Sorrento to Naples.

Paul S

I took the hydrofoil from Naples to Sorrento with the intention of spending a half day in Sorrento, then train to Pompeii for a few hours. I never made it to Pompeii - I really enjoyed everything about Sorrento! So much, that I bought an oil painting of the waterfront as my major memoir of the trip. The gallery was on one of the pedestrian streets, Via Tasso, and is called Oggetti D'Arte. A showplace for lots of local artists... oop, sorry, off-topic but it was one of the best memories of the cruise for me!

I guess I was lucky, we had very calm seas on the way to and from Sorrento.

I was told - incorrectly - that the only way from the dock to the city is via cab - wrong! If you're energetic, you can walk up the hill. Or, take the city bus, cheaper than the cab and I really think it was a bit faster.

Enjoy Sorrento - I can't wait to go back!

Liz

Liz..

I plan to take the train from Naples, with friends who will be visiting Pompeii, then continue on to Sorrento..My plan is to take the hydrofoil back to Naples..Can you tell me more about your day in Sorrento?..I have done extensive research but it's always nice to have 'first hand' information..Thanks in advance..

Emerald Princess

Naples port of call 9/30/07

Carol

It is easy to take the ferry/hydrofoil to Sorento. The dock is next to the cruise pier. The risk with ferry service is the weather. When its is stormy they may not run. If you get to Sorento you can always ake the train to Naples and can even stop at Pompeii on the way back and reboard the tain to Naples. Just buy a ticket from Sorento to Naples. The stop at Pompeii is free. Recommend a taxi from the train station to the port. You can take a bus but the area around the train station is dangerous. Advise against any flashy jewelry and keep your money in a money belt or neck pouch.

Some helpful websites: www.trenitalia.it, www.initaly.com, www.napoli.it , www.actv.it (ferry schedules)

when I try to find the train schedule from Naples to Sorrento, it says on solition. What am I doing wrong? HELP I leave in 4 weeks

I just tried too and got the answer "no solution found" - there must be a problem with the site. I'm currently at work, but have already printed off the schedules for our cruise next week. When I get home I'll post the times

I just tried too and got the answer "no solution found" - there must be a problem with the site. I'm currently at work, but have already printed off the schedules for our cruise next week. When I get home I'll post the times

Thanks Suekay

:) I believe the train from naples -sorrento r/t is a local train know as circumvesuviana and the timetables r/t times etc. can be found on sorrentoinfo.com...good luck(=JERMEY;11509162]when I try to find the train schedule from Naples to Sorrento, it says on solition. What am I doing wrong? HELP I leave in 4 weeks

Sorry about delay in getting back with the info. It's almost midnight and the taxi is due to take us to the airport in 5 hours (Voyager from Barcelona) - I've only just finished packing:o

Circumvesuviana train

Naples to Sorrento

7.09 7.39* 8.11** 8.22 8.39 9.09 9.39 10.09 10.39 11.09 11.39 12.09 12.39 13.09 13.41** 14.09 15.11**

Sorrento to Naples

12.07 12.37 13.07 13.25 13.56** 14.22 14.55 15.26** 15.52* 16.07 16.37 17.07 17.25 17.56**

* = Mon-Fri ** = direct

HYDROFOIL - linee marittime partenopee

Sorrento-Naples 7.15 8.15 9.45 11.45 13.45 16.30 18.40

Naples-Sorrento 9.00 11.00 13.05 15.05 17.15 18.30 19.30

Archived