wine on RCCL

GatorV

My last 4 cruises have been on HAL but shall branch out for a quickie 4 day "hold me over cruise" until my 10 day next April 24th. looking forward to trying Sov of the Seas....question. WINE.....I am crushed like a

grape :( that I cannot bring on my own like always, a real bummer. So nice to have a bottle to share before dinner, BUT will enjoy anyway of course. Does RCCL or SOS have wine cards? and if not how much is a typical house type of wine or bar drink? Thanks

My last 4 cruises have been on HAL but shall branch out for a quickie 4 day "hold me over cruise" until my 10 day next April 24th. looking forward to trying Sov of the Seas....question. WINE.....I am crushed like a

grape :( that I cannot bring on my own like always, a real bummer. So nice to have a bottle to share before dinner, BUT will enjoy anyway of course. Does RCCL or SOS have wine cards? and if not how much is a typical house type of wine or bar drink? Thanks

If you LIKE wine, you will do better to order something specific from the wine list. The house wine is barely potable, if you ask me. (which you *did*, by posting your question! :D)

Our own James Bond, critterchick, secretly recorded the wine menu:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=598309

I bought the Gold wine package, purely because of the saving and was dissappointed with all the reds, bar one cabernet servignion. What was good, by the 2nd week was that ship ran out of the el cheapo bottles, so we got better wines - for the same money.

But, we found the wines to be VERY expensive compared to shore prices, and with a MASSIVE mark up too. We will think twice next time about a package.

Before opting for the wine package, I'd suggest you look at the overall wine list first to see the cost of the wines you prefer. While they tell you there is a 20% savings with the wine package, many of the wines offered with the package actually cost less per bottle than the average for the package. For example, we took the diamond package - average price per bottle was $28, and many of the wines "book price" was less. Knowing the book price of the wines, we selected ones from the package list that would have cost more to purchase individually, thus getting our money's worth.

Go to Gifts & Gear and send yourself a "gift" of wine to be delivered to your stateroom. There is a list to select from (middle-of-the-road wines for high-end prices, IMO). The number of bottles you can have sent to your stateroom seems to only be limited by the amount you wish to spend.

We are trying this approach for the first time in January, so I can't speak yet to how well it works. I hope that it works really well, since there is no more BYOB....

Our pets were so kind as to send us two bottles of wine through Gifts & Gear. They were mediocre bottles, and expensive ... but we were glad to have something in the room for a pre-dinner drink.

We are not wine connoisseurs and are generally happy with a lower priced wine, but even those are expensive. But, it's nice to have a bottle that you can drink at your leisure.

Archived