Far East, Itinerary & shore Excursions

ISLANDS LOVER

I've just joined this forum so I hope to be on the right section.

Next january we are going to sail FAR EAST on NORTHERN ROUTE and would like to know any information, suggestion, recommendations for shore excursions.

I was searching information in the net for every port of call, but the company haven't still available the shore excursions information, that's why I would like to know how they are, how the Star Clipper manages the shore excursions, times at the ports of call, water sport activities, possibilities of beach BBQ etc. May be some member here has sail some of the Far East routes and could tell me anything about it. Any information would be great to know.

Thank you!:)

I am looking to do this same cruise as you in November of 2008. I cannot find many people who have sailed a Star Clipper Thailand itinerary. So be sure to report when you get back. or you can e-mail me direct:

susiesan at kc.rr.com

Thanks so much.

Hello Susiesan, it's nice to see some post here!!

of course I'll repport about this trip, I'm not an expert cruiser Susiesan, I have only cruised 3 times and 1 sailing with Royal Clipper May-07 but I'll tell you about my personal experience and own opinion with this itinerary.

In the meantime I still hope to find somebody going before than me, may be nov-07 ?¿

I'm not sure if Star Clippers sailed some of the Far east routes on 2006 or 2005... but hope I'll find somebody here.

Cheers!

• 5 months later...

I too am wanting some info on this route. If I find anything I will post it here:D I have only cruised the big mega cruise ships. Looking forward to a more intimate cruising experience. I am sure you guys will see me on these boards quite a bit. I have a million questions regarding the Star Clipper cruises.

• 2 weeks later...

HI, I jist logged on loogin fro other info and saw this. My husband and I did this trip in Jan 2007 on the Star Flyer. We absolutely loved it. We really don't like cruise ships so we hadn't done one for years. But I wanted to see the various islands around Thailand, so we tried this. We are now hooked on S.C. and looking at other itinearies they do. Basically, this particular trip is all about water, you go to a different island every day and have fantastic snorkeling and diving. Since I myself am in the service business, I am very in tune to value and quality. For us, this was it. But this is not a trip for children (less than teens), as there aren't theaters, gyms, etc. Also, since these are large sailing yaghts, this is not for those that can't navigate raised doorways, steps etc. This is all about the location and scenary, truely an expereince for the scenses. My favorite memory was having a glass of champagne as we watched the sails hoist at dusk each evening and sailed of the latest harbor.

If you want to know more, feel free to contact me at my personal email address. Since I'm new to this forum, I don't really know how often I'll be checking it.

Since I've done the Northern route, at some point I am going to do the southern route.

Diana:D

• 2 months later...

Thanks, Let's Get Away. So is there an extra charge for the ship excursions? How much? It's not very clear from the web site. Or is it better to do research at the library and online for what to do on your own. We are on the southern sailing. We also fly into Phuket at noon the day of the sailing, which is 10:00pm. Any suggestions on hat to do on Phuket until boarding time and then the rest of the day until the ship departs? I imagine we will be massively jet lagged after a 24 hour flight from Kansas City-Dallas-Vancouver-Hong Kong-Phuket. Yikes! 2 days of travel to get there!

Sorry, the French Polynesia shore excursions did list prices, so I assumed it would be the same for the Far East. I would contact Star Clipper directly they should be able to get that information for you so you don't have to do the research yourself. Can't be much help on what to do in that area before you board, we have unfortunately never been but would love to hear about it for a future trip possibility. Have fun.

• 3 weeks later...

We did the Phuket - Singapore cruise earlier this year. We had a terrific time and these are my top tips for your itinerary.

1. We got on the boat in Patong, which is a tourist infested resort. Dont let it put you off - have drink and relax while waiting to board. Our boarding took a long time as they only had one tender running.

2. The only stop that our itineraies share is Phang Nga ("James Bond Island") - even if you dont do any other excusions do this one.

3. The cities we called into were quite small - we did some of the tours but could have got as much out of taking pedal taxis and finding stuff for oursleves.

• 4 weeks later...

So even for boarding and disembarking in Phuket the ship doesn't dock? That must be a nightmare for loading supplies. It must take forever. What time is boarding? We arrive on Phuket at 11:30am form Hong Kong the same day as the cruise. Wondering what to do to kill tghe afternoon.

Our joining instructions said that while the boat generally boarded in Patong, sometimes - e.g. if the weather was bad, they boarded in the big port in Phuket Town.

We boarded in Patong - by tender. The arrangment was that we dropped our luggage off at a hotel (you can do this anytime after about 10am) where we filled in the various ship and immigration forms and were then free. The hotel has a small pool, a bar and a restaurant. Star Clippers have an (increasingly crowded) room with juice and coffee. We boarded at about 4:30 - but as I've said they only had one tender running so it took about 3 trips to deal with everybody. If it were me, I'd drop my luggage at the hotel, deal with the forms and find somewhere for lunch or a drink. Patong is pretty frightful, but we stayed in the Holiday Inn (which is about 20 mins walk along the beach) and had a reasonable meal.

• 2 months later...

Firstly of all please, accept my apologies for not have been here before! I hope to be still on time and ready if I can help you.

I have just research information and have read you must be about to go on far east! wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you must be now online Susiesan, as your point is green,

I'm not sure how many minutes I can remain online, I'm still working but if you write some question I'll have a look tomorrow around this time trying to answer to anything I would be able.

Please let me tell to you we enjoyed a lot! our sailing in january 2008 our northern route, we are going again next january trying the suthern route!!!!:D

Firstly of all please, accept my apologies for not have been here before! I hope to be still on time and ready if I can help you.

I have just research information and have read you must be about to go on far east! wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, please post a review of your cruise. I leave in 2 1/2 weeks. I just got my tickets and I am so excited!

Did you stay on Phuket before or after the cruise? I am looking for a driver and something to do for 5 hours after the cruise comes in since we don't fly out until 1:50pm. Any suggestions?

Hi Susiesan!!! hapy to read you!

Sorry I'm not use to write posts and going very slow to find were, when and write slow due my bad english! sorry!

we stayed 4 nights before sailing SC on Krabi, 2 hour by road from phuket airport, then for a week in the star clipper and then finish with 5 nights in phuket (amanpuri)

Please let me know: do you want to know how to spend 5 hours in phuket before embarkation time? or after cruise?

I have understood you are arriving to phuket island in the same sailind departure date?

phukel island is about 50 or 60 km from north where airport is located to south I think you must know, but if not have a look to this link,

http://www.map-thailand.com/phuket.htm

there is quite good information and you can see an useful interactive map of phuket island,

Star clipper departs from Patong beach (the most touristic and crowded place in the island) that is about at the middle in the west side with the deepest bay.

Patong is only one beach and area but phuket have othe beaches, othe places, and under my opinion you can find something for all tastes

sorry I dont know very well the rules of this forum, so I hope to put a link would be correct:rolleyes: if not, please, let me know...

Driving from airport to patong is about 40 minutes....

For my route, Star Clippers used 3 different hotels depending of your needs. You should have all this information with the doccumments that Star clippers will send to you before you leave.

We used the Sea View Point Hotel, which is located at the southern part of patong beach and a walking distance from the embarkation pier.

We did our check in for SC embarkation at this hotel and let there our luggage while we went to have a look around the Patong beach and main street just behind the beach. Arriving after lunch, we had just time for a walk and quick shopping untill sunset time 19,00 when we went to take our embarkation tender...

if you are arriving on the same day you will not have too much time for touring.

there are lot of other activities to do in the island but just for a few hours before or after sailing next are my opinion best options you would choose to do depending of what you like/need:

-shopping in Patong beach

-going for a nice view from one of the nice View Points around the island. (have a look to the interactive map) i ej. Kata noi beach, throm them cape and specially cape panwa, are very mice

we didn't, but I know you can get a taxi and go arounf all island making stops at the nicest view points.

-visit sea gypsy comunity at rawai beach/chalong bay (also shopping)

Susiesan, I have to go out now but as I told I will have a look tomorrow at this time and will try to answer everything I know.

let me know: are you going for the northern or southern route?

We are going the southern route. So we go to Penang, which we visited 10 years ago. All other stops will be new for us.

We do arrive on Phuket the same day as the cruise, at 11:30am if on time. We will probably just go to the sea View Point Hotel until boarding. We will try to tour Phuket after the cruise. If we can be off the ship first at 8:00 or so then we have until 1:50pm when our flight leaves to take a tour of Phuket.

Hi Sussie!! how are you? I'm here earlier than I thought because I', going out for dinner, but just 20 minutes to see if you have any questions?

I can see you are going to sail in nov the same route I'll go next january!!

we did the northern, so only similan islands and phang nga are same stops, but both beautiful! (one shore excursion on phang nga bay)

You have alredy visited the country, then this trip will be another thailand. it is not cultural route, it is mainly for wild and uninhabited islans, except for Penang about which I still have to search for information.

This is a cruise to enjoy wild nature, to see nice and unforgetable seascapes, unbelieved sunsets, small beaches, short treckings around small islands, to snorkel/diving, water sports, and of course to enjoy the sailing!! life onboard is very relaxing at all times.

if you are going to cambodia after sailing i think you will get a nice mixture.

Reading your last post I think you will get about the same free time on arrival than on departure date before flying to cambodia, but I guess after your long trip from USA you will prefer to take it easy on arrival.

If you have touring the country for two times I think you will not find many atractives in phuket, as it is very touristic, except for some small corners where main atractives are nature beauty, jungle areas and hiden beaches.

may be phuket city can be interesting to visit and discover some colonial signes from china and/or portugal.

http://phuket.sawadee.com/

Let me know which questions you have regards to the route, the ship or anything else where I could help you, otherwise I don't know what about to explain to you.

I will have a quick look before going for diner

I'll be here tomorrow!

this is the sheduled southern route when I did my booking last june.

Sat

17-Jan-09

Phuket, Patong Bay

07.00-22.00

Sun

18-Jan-09

Butang Group Ko Adang, Thailand

12.00-18.00

Mon

19-Jan-09

Penang, Malaysia

08.00-17.00

Tue

20-Jan-09

Butang Group Ko Butang, Thailand

12.00-18.00

Wed

21-Jan-09

Ko Khai Nok, Thailand

11.00-17.30

Anchor at Deep Sea port Phuket

21.00-24.00

Thu

22-Jan-09

Phang Nga Bay, Thailand

09.30-11.30

Ko Hong, Thailand

13.30-18.00

Fri

23-Jan-09

Similan Islands, Thailand

10.00-18.00

Sat

24-Jan-09

Phuket, Patong Bay

07.00-22.00

Islands Lover:

I am beginning to pack this weekend. Just to be sure, will there be snorkels and masks on the Star Clipper to use? I have my own, but won't bring them if there are some on the the ship to use.

I have hired a driver for a 4-5 hour tour of Phuket at the end of the cruise with a drop off at the airport. he is going to charge 1200 baht.

Archived