Business Etiquette

joebert

The owners of my company have been invited by one of our vendor to business conference on a Carnival ship.

The vendor is paying for the cabin. It is an inside cabin. Is it in bad taste for them to upgrade to an outside cabin?

The owners of my company have been invited by one of our vendor to business conference on a Carnival ship.

The vendor is paying for the cabin. It is an inside cabin. Is it in bad taste for them to upgrade to an outside cabin?

Could be tricky. It depends on your companies "politics". Why not ask if there have been arrangements for upgrades. Usually when booking large groups in hotels, etc. They make arrangements for various types of accomodations.

I don't think I'd do it without asking though. Could be opening up a can of worms; if someone else sees you in a better cabin than theirs (not knowing you paid for the upgrade)....etc, etc,

I don't see a problem at all. Folks have to realize that some customers may purchase more than others. The same cabin for all mentality wouldn't make sense.

I would still check with the host to make sure it alright since it is their party.

I wish I was allowed to accept gifts like that from my vendors...

If the dynamics of their customer-supplier relationship are such that a vendor feels a need to hold a "conference" on a cruise ship, I don't think the vendor would be very predisposed to being "offended" by a customer paying for their own upgrade. (Unless it was thrown in their face)

I don't think it would be a problem. It is not an employer who is paying for multiple employees, so I don't think the others seeing you in a better cabin will cause any problems.

I don't think the vendor will be insulted, just let them know that you upgraded to an outside cabin to make you more comfortable. The vendor obviously wants you on the cruise, I don't think they will care where on the ship.

I think accept the offer graciously- it is generous and as it

is not been paid for personally by you, it would be bad taste to take it - then upgrade implying really its not good enough.

it is generous- show some generosity of spirit by accepting the gift in the same manner that it was given.

If I shouted someone a trip be it for business reasons or personal, I would be miffed if I found out the recipients did not think it good enough.:mad:

SHAME:cool:

I wish I was allowed to accept gifts like that from my vendors...

No kidding:) My company is very strict on what we buyers can accept from vendors - pretty much nothing.

OP, I agree that it would look like the person wasn't grateful and that what was offered wasn't good enough. Unless the person is an extreme claustrophobic, then he/she would have a valid reason to switch. Otherwise, is it really that big of deal to be in an inside? It's a free cruise!

Let me get this right. This is a vendor. Someone your company buys from. They placed the owner of your company in an inside cabin....Talk about tacky.

Tell your owner to upgrade ASAP and charge alot of drinks to that "vendors" bill.

He buys from them.......;)

It's not out of the question that you as a past guest might recieve a complimentary upgrade to a higher level cabin. And you might recieve the upgrade over others on the same arrangement who have never sailed before. Because of this, you could modestly upgrade yourself and if asked how just claim the perks of being a past guest of the line.

Good for them Jobert, one of our lumber vendors had a big group on RCL a couple of years ago and I paid the difference to upgrade to a suite, they didn't have a problem with it at all, I also brought my two kids and paid for them, again no problem.

Let me get this right. This is a vendor. Someone your company buys from. They placed the owner of your company in an inside cabin....Talk about tacky.

Tell your owner to upgrade ASAP and charge alot of drinks to that "vendors" bill.

He buys from them.......;)

this is the way I looked at it when I upgraded jessemon, we had spent over a half million dollars in the previous year with them, granted they gave a free cruise for two which I appreciated, but I wanted a better room w/balcony and my kids to come, and they had a t/a that handle it anyways, so I had no problem bugging them!

Archived