How Do you Get to Captains' Table

We were invited to sit at the captain's table because we were in the right place at the right time. During the day of the first formal night, we were eating lunch in the dining room when one of the head waiters came over and told us it was our lucky day. Apparently one of the couples scheduled to sit at the table was not able to, so we were asked. It really was a nerve wracking experience as we were given instructions on what to do and what not to do upon entering the dining room. However, Captain Johnny was a wonderful host and we had a great time. The best part was bringing the picture home to show everyone that it did indeed happen!

My wife and I have sat with the captain twice. It was a great experience. The menu was the same as the rest of the dining roo, the only difference was dessert, which was made just for the table.

Yes the wine was basically all you could drink. The glass would never go empty.

Ok, I get it.... Free wine, nicer food, better desserts.

HEY RCCL my wife is absolutely stunning, she is a real beauty and fun (especially when she has had a lot of free wine, good food and great desserts).

I thank all of you for your inputs. We probably have a better chance winning the lottery than dining with the Captain (which I wouldn't be too upset about). But we are still newbies, we have only been on 8 cruises over the last few years. But we have one planned for January 2008 and will book again on that cruise. That is our plan, to always book the next cruise while on a current cruise.

thanks again...

cruise on...

DH and I sat at the captain's table once several years ago on AOS. At the time, we were in a Grand Suite and we always chatted with the concierge when we were in the lounge. I'm sure the selection process is more involved than just what category of cabin you're in, but I honestly believe that the concierge was the one who "made the call" on that particular night. All of the other pax at the captain's table that evening were in Grand Suites. Perhaps the concierge made the recommendations for the captain's table from people he liked and felt would be a "good fit" for the captain. Other than that explanation, I haven't got a clue! It was an enjoyable evening and something to remember.

Elf

We were invited, I'm sure, because we met the Captain at the CC Meet & Mingle. We were talking with him and he asked for our names & cabin #. A couple of days later we had an invitation appear in our cabin....with champagne and strawberries. It was our 25th anniversary so it really was special to have something in our cabin to toast the occasion.

We had the same menu (lobster night) as everyone else - but with the Captains favorite dessert. Two lobster tails on each plate when it was served. Wine was free flowing - and very good.

What a nice surprise.

We sat at the captains in 2005. My husband had always wanted to meet the captain and ask him questions. So i thought it would be a wonderful surprise for him. We were in a suite that cruise so I spoke with the Concierge about it. Thinking i was going to get no were. But within 2 minutes he had the Matre'd on the phone. I explained to the Matre'd how I wanted to surprise my husband. And he said he would see what he could do. We had an invitation the morning of the second formal night. It was an amazing experience . They made you feel like royalty. And the kicker was we got invited on a tour of the bridge the next day . My husband was in heaven. I just ran around like a lunatic with the camera while my husband enjoyed himself. It was just so nice. I would go right to the Matre'd. He might be able to help.

We were invited to the Captains table after befriending the wine steward on the Celebrity Millenium. It was truly a night to remember. We stayed with the group from the table after dinner and danced and drank (on the house) until 4 a.m. In order to sit at the table we had a mini-interview the Captains right hand lady to decide if we were up to snuff. Apparently we were. The conversation was wonderful at the table and all the people were so nice. The problem was that it was Lobster night and since we were the last table to be served the Lobster was like rubber. Not to mention the baked potato was so over cooked that when I cut into it, the thing exploded all over my sleeve. Kind of funny.

If there is a supposed "screening" process to be able to "dine with the Captain" - then I don't want to. I want to relax at dinner and not worry about everything I say.......

I did get the priviledge of a full bridge tour ( we were given an invite by the Concierge) and we met the Captain there :) This was on the Adventure of the Seas.

On our recent Mariner sailing (9/2-9/07) our tablemates received an invite to the Captain's Table for the 1st Formal night. While exiting the dining room on Sunday, they complimented the Matre'd on the delicious food, etc that was served that evening. That man immediately asked them if they'd like to "dine with the Captain". They had a wonderful time. Purely a random invite for sure.

What were the instructions - manners? Or some kind of formality thing?
We dined with Captain Johnny on Mariner. The social hostess told us to not touch the napkins until the picture was taken. When she brought Captain Johnny to the table, all the men had to stand but the women remained seated. She introduced the Captain to each one of us. Then we all sat down and had our picture taken and then I think the waiter put the napkins on our laps. It really was not intimidating and DH who hates formality was ok with it also. It was really cool to dine with Captain Johnny as he is so personable. I framed the picture and we got an autographed menu.

We dined with Captain Johnny on Mariner. The social hostess told us to not touch the napkins until the picture was taken. When she brought Captain Johnny to the table, all the men had to stand but the women remained seated. She introduced the Captain to each one of us. Then we all sat down and had our picture taken and then I think the waiter put the napkins on our laps. It really was not intimidating and DH who hates formality was ok with it also. It was really cool to dine with Captain Johnny as he is so personable. I framed the picture and we got an autographed menu.

Strange...We met the captain in the Champagne lounge (in that corner booth area). And we introduced ourselves and he popped 2 bottles of champagne and did a toast. Then together we walked into the dinning room (the captain lead). Everyone was already seated and it was amazing . All eyes on you. Alot of flashes from cameras going. Once seated (boy girl ) they took our picture. It was basically you wait for the captain to start coarse and you follow. They did give us choice of red and white wine. The captain was Erik Tangleson he was very charming and very sociable. I had the pleasure of sitting right next him. A little nerve wrecking. But he made it very nice. And a time we will never forget.

Oh....another tip..... do not wear shorts, tshirts or flipflops to the dining room if you would like an invitation to the capt. table - Just kidding.

But as my luck goes, we did European cruise two summers ago, and decided to skip taking formal clothes since it was port intensive and opt for alternative dining. Guess who was invited to dine with the captain, we had to politely decline.

Strange...We met the captain in the Champagne lounge (in that corner booth area). And we introduced ourselves and he popped 2 bottles of champagne and did a toast. Then together we walked into the dinning room (the captain lead). Everyone was already seated and it was amazing . All eyes on you. Alot of flashes from cameras going. Once seated (boy girl ) they took our picture. It was basically you wait for the captain to start coarse and you follow. They did give us choice of red and white wine. The captain was Erik Tangleson he was very charming and very sociable. I had the pleasure of sitting right next him. A little nerve wrecking. But he made it very nice. And a time we will never forget.

I think each ship may do it differenly. Some captains meet their tablemates before in a lounge or the social hostess hosts something in one of the lounges. We met outside the dining room (deck 3 near Studio B.).

Was at the local BJ wholesale club store this weekend its like sams Club and CostCo. I found this book called Caribbean Cruising. I picked it up and was thumbing through it. It had all kinds of information from history to ports of call to cruise life on the ship. It had a section on the Captains table guests. Not sure if it is true but the book mentioned that the people who are picked for the captains table were those who were VIP's, frequent cruisers, high rollers, and usually the token attractive female......I chuckled.

Exactly the instructions we received. I was glad that I did get to sit next to my husband though as many times you hear that isn't the case.

We haven't been invited on an RCCL cruise but were on our very first Celebrity cruise (which was only our second cruise). The only thing we could come up with for why we were invited is that we had unfotunately a very big complaint and the person we dealt with on it was the hostess for the captain's table the night we were invited. When we met before dinner for cocktails we found out another couple invited had also filed a big complaint. That's the only reason we could come up with that we were invited to the Captain's Table. Whatever the reason, it was definitely a not to be missed night, we had a wonderful time.

When staying in a suite on NCL - my husband and I were asked by the concierge if we would mind pretending it was our honeymoon so we could sit at the captain's table. The captain liked having a honeymoon couple at the table; so we pretended. It was a fun experience.

May, 1978 was our honeymoon cruise on the Song of Norway. We were seated at the center table in the dining known as the "Captains Table". He dined with us only ONE night. I do not remember a special menu nor do I remember free wine...but then again, I was 20 and on my honeymoon and had only ONE thing on my mind at the time! :) :p :)

Trudy

Our 1st invitation to the Captains table was when we were with our 20 something beautiful leggy blonde daughter, a no brainer. When we received our second invitation we were alone and in an inside cabin but my husband had a conversation with the Captain's club hostess and she must have found him a suitable person for the Captains table so we received our second invitation.

Archived