Guys: 1/3 of you don't wash after...

C 2 C

I'm finding this sort of humorous. Question, how may of you go to a fast food restaraunt/starbucks, whatever and wash your hands after getting your change before eating your food? That change has passed through a lot of hands (mostly unwashed) before you get it. While many fast food chains make sure that the cashier wears gloves or at least doesn't touch the food, they sure don't disinfect the bills/coins before handing them on to the next customer.

I remember a show (60 Min, 20/20, something like that) back in the 90's analyzing the things on paper money. It was pretty shocking. Drugs, e-coli, and lots of other stuff. You can't avoid contamination - it's everywhere, on everything. But it would be nice if people washed after going potty. That just seems...I don't know...a gimme?!:rolleyes:

Denise:)

Okay, just a few thoughts.

Washing hands is great and it does stop the transmission of many illnesses and germs, however in daily life the germs we come into contact with cause our immune system to develop antibodies to fight them, which inturn make us more healthy beings. so I do believe overwashing can be just as bad as underwashing.

Urine is sterile. FACT. and can be used in emergencies to steralize wounds if no other method is available ( regardless of how gross it sounds ).

IMHO: What truly grosses me out is seeing a parent change a babies diapers in public on a public surface. NOT steralize it after, or wash their hands following doing it. Then they touch every surface on the way to the restroom if they do go to wash them. NASTY. Not to mention disposing of dirty diapers in public places.

Okay. Confession time.

I ALWAYS wash after #2, and I always wash after #1 if I am in a public facility and touch handles sink fixtures, etc.

Personally, I do not pee on my hands, and I shower. So running around the house or my office everyday I am guilty of not washing each and every trip to the bathroom.

Unfortunately I think this is being blown out of proportion. Next time you kiss someone, think about where their mouth might have been, not to mention having sex with someone....Thousands of years of not washing hands, or bathing frequently have gotten us here this far...so it can't be all bad.

BUT>>>>hands should be washed frequently if possible, especially after #2, or if you are ill in any way, or are in the presence of an ill person.

Dave:eek:

Okay, I am a full on scrubber of my hands...... seen Leo in "The Aviator" ...that is me.... after having clean hands, you then have to touch the dirty tap, and worse - the door handle....:(

I usually get a paper towel and wrap the handle with it and then toss the paper. I have issues yes, but at least you know my hands are clean! :cool:

M

I am a big hand washer and so are my kids. My boys complain when they see kids and adults leave a mens room without washing!!

On a Carnival cruise --they had little dispensers for tiny tissues to grab the rest room door handles--and little waste baskets there to drop it in as you left.

Does X have that? Gotta warn my guys...

It reminded me of a little child rubbing their palms together under (cold) water!

Does cold water or hot make any difference?

To purify drinking water you boil it.

To mimimise germs in water you keep the temperature over 60 celsius.

Try that with your hands. Nice comfortable warm water mixed in a clean? wash basin? Just what the germs ordered.

That why Muslims wash in cold running water?

Okay, just a few thoughts.

Washing hands is great and it does stop the transmission of many illnesses and germs, however in daily life the germs we come into contact with cause our immune system to develop antibodies to fight them, which inturn make us more healthy beings. so I do believe overwashing can be just as bad as underwashing.

Urine is sterile. FACT. and can be used in emergencies to steralize wounds if no other method is available ( regardless of how gross it sounds ).

IMHO: What truly grosses me out is seeing a parent change a babies diapers in public on a public surface. NOT steralize it after, or wash their hands following doing it. Then they touch every surface on the way to the restroom if they do go to wash them. NASTY. Not to mention disposing of dirty diapers in public places.

Okay. Confession time.

I ALWAYS wash after #2, and I always wash after #1 if I am in a public facility and touch handles sink fixtures, etc.

Personally, I do not pee on my hands, and I shower. So running around the house or my office everyday I am guilty of not washing each and every trip to the bathroom.

Unfortunately I think this is being blown out of proportion. Next time you kiss someone, think about where their mouth might have been, not to mention having sex with someone....Thousands of years of not washing hands, or bathing frequently have gotten us here this far...so it can't be all bad.

BUT>>>>hands should be washed frequently if possible, especially after #2, or if you are ill in any way, or are in the presence of an ill person.

Dave/quote]

bububr - Let's see....:)

"Urine is sterile." Yup. You can drink it (Yummy!) in an emergency. And it's frequently "spritzed" on jelly fish stings. I've been nailed by Portuguese Man of Wars (OWWW!) but opted to NOT be spritzed.;)

Diaper changing and e-coli. Yup, and yuck!:rolleyes:

I'm happy that you have confirmed the accuracy of your aim. You're welcome to use the bathroom in my cabin anytime and I would happily shake your hand.:D

Kissing? I agree. Humans have filthy mouths - but it's a pretty nice way to go!;)

Blown out of proportion? I think the thread, although giving info, is rather light hearted. I don't mean to imply you're wrong, just that's the way I read the thread. I'm sorry if my posts gave you or anyone the impression that I advocate everyone wrapping themselves up in plastic. That doesn't sound like fun at all!:eek:

Happy cruising!

Denise

if my posts gave you or anyone the impression that I advocate everyone wrapping themselves up in plastic. That doesn't sound like fun at all!:eek:

You've not been to Fornebu (Oslo) then, now that is hi tech.

You go into the unisex, to the loo, and press a button. A fresh plastic sleeve is then motored around the seat.

When you leave you can then press the button and it will bring out a fresh cover. Now it might get through twice as much as it needs but Wow, safe.

In Constellation, in one toilet they had a packet of seat covers. Not bad, one per thousand :)

You've not been to Fornebu (Oslo) then, now that is hi tech.

You go into the unisex, to the loo, and press a button. A fresh plastic sleeve is then motored around the seat.

When you leave you can then press the button and it will bring out a fresh cover. Now it might get through twice as much as it needs but Wow, safe.

In Constellation, in one toilet they had a packet of seat covers. Not bad, one per thousand :)

Sounds sanitary. But let me ask you... Doesn't the "plastic" sleeve make it slippery?:p

Denise

I didn't mean blown out of proportion, I meant blown out of proportion....I think you might get it. Anyway This survey has been all over the news, in the papers and now on the boards here. While it is an important issue, I meant out of proportion in the general sense of news, not on CC.

Now I'll be the first one to admit my misgivings, However after being on the Infamous "Bleach" cruise on Mercury 2 years ago I am definetly an advocate for hand washing. ( I didn't get Noro BTW, I was thrown off a horse instead and recieved a compression fracture, cracked sacrum and pelvic fractures in three places as many may remember from my review. Personally I think I would have rather come down with noro. )...And As I mentioned in public restrooms I always wash my hands regardless.

As for aim, you can thank my mom for that. She used Cheerios while I was potty training :D .

As for the plastic sleeve...You actually kinda stick to it, and it tickles if you hit the refreshbutton before you stand up:p

I didn't mean blown out of proportion, I meant blown out of proportion....I think you might get it. Anyway This survey has been all over the news, in the papers and now on the boards here. While it is an important issue, I meant out of proportion in the general sense of news, not on CC.

Now I'll be the first one to admit my misgivings, However after being on the Infamous "Bleach" cruise on Mercury 2 years ago I am definetly an advocate for hand washing. ( I didn't get Noro BTW, I was thrown off a horse instead and recieved a compression fracture, cracked sacrum and pelvic fractures in three places as many may remember from my review. Personally I think I would have rather come down with noro. )...And As I mentioned in public restrooms I always wash my hands regardless.

As for aim, you can thank my mom for that. She used Cheerios while I was potty training :D .

As for the plastic sleeve...You actually kinda stick to it, and it tickles if you hit the refreshbutton before you stand up:p

LOL!!!:D LOL!!!:D Sorry! I wanted to ask you about the "Bleach Cruise"? And to tell you I'm SO SORRY about your terrible injuries (I hope you're fully recovered and no longer in pain or discomfort!) but I was too busy LAUGHING!!!! CHEERIOS and TICKLES! LOL!!!

Denise

PS - Sorry I misunderstood - you only meant "blown out of proportion"... I get it.;)

Denise

I remember the plastic that used to encircle the toilet seats. I hate to say this, but I think they did away with them because reports came out that they were recycled when they reached the end of the roll! They just kept going round and round!!!:eek: :eek: Now that's worse than sitting down (fully clothed) after that baby was changed!:p

Mary

In today's paper, recalling a radio comedy of the 50s, remember before TV :)

"Eth, can you run upstairs and get your Mum's toothbrush. I've got some dog poo on my new suede shoes."

Go on, I know what you're thinking, but I am sure it was not what he meant :D

:D:D:D!

Denise

[quote name='Nonna and Papa']I remember the plastic that used to encircle the toilet seats. I hate to say this, but I think they did away with them because reports came out that they were recycled when they reached the end of the roll! They just kept going round and round!!!:eek: :eek: Now that's worse than sitting down (fully clothed) after that baby was changed!:p

Mary[/quote]

:eek:! Ewwwww!

Denise

[quote name='CatServants']LOL!!!:D LOL!!!:D Sorry! I wanted to ask you about the "Bleach Cruise"? And to tell you I'm SO SORRY about your terrible injuries (I hope you're fully recovered and no longer in pain or discomfort!) but I was too busy [B]LAUGHING!!!! [/B]CHEERIOS and TICKLES! LOL!!!

Denise

PS - Sorry I misunderstood - you only meant "blown out of proportion"... I get it.;)

Denise[/quote]

Denise, there was a Mercury sailing in March 2006...2006.
A noro outbreak happened......Dave was on it and he posted
from the ship for us.
Rather than getting sick, he decided to go horseback riding
and got thrown off:eek:.....busting a few things in the process!
His review was written in a manner that told us even though
all this stuff was happening he still seemed to have a good time:D

[quote name='bububr']I didn't mean blown out of proportion, I meant blown out of proportion....I think you might get it. Anyway This survey has been all over the news, in the papers and now on the boards here. While it is an important issue, I meant out of proportion in the general sense of news, not on CC.

Dave:eek:[/quote]

Dave, you have me laughing out loud here:D
Cheerios? LOL...thanks for the laugh!!!!

[quote name='Lois R']Denise, there was a Mercury sailing in March 2006...2006.
A noro outbreak happened......Dave was on it and he posted
from the ship for us.
Rather than getting sick, he decided to go horseback riding
and got thrown off:eek:.....busting a few things in the process!
His review was written in a manner that told us even though
all this stuff was happening he still seemed to have a good time:D[/quote]

Thanks, Lois. So I guess bleach was used all over the ship for sanitary reasons? Poor Dave!:( It sounds like an awful fall! The fact that he still thought/thinks well of the cruise is a testament to his sense of humor and grace. Laughter through tears - my kind of guy.:)

Happy cruising!

Denise

[quote name='CatServants']Thanks, Lois. So I guess bleach was used all over the ship for sanitary reasons? Poor Dave!:( It sounds like an awful fall! The fact that he still thought/thinks well of the cruise is a testament to his sense of humor and grace. Laughter through tears - my kind of guy.:)

Happy cruising!

Denise[/quote]

Yes, bleach was used all over....all over...when an outbreak happens
things can get pretty ugly.
I sailed this March we were under code too....from the sailing
before mine.
Well, it affects EVERYONE....passengers, crew, staff, EVERYONE.
They have to bleach..and bleach...and bleach....when it is very
bad they serve you everything and example, salt and pepper
at dinner/bread/etc...nothing is put on your table. Everything
is served to you...so there is no contact from my hands to your hands
to his hands...etc....
The crew has to work 10 times more than usual...it is hard
on everyone:eek:
Fortunetly, I have never gotten sick and just follow the rules...and keep
my hands washed! And when a waiter is standing outside the dining room
and gives me a sanitary wipe for my hands.....I take it! Yes, there are some folks
who don't.

Back to the issue. Very frankly, MANY MEN AND WOMEN AND CHILDREN do not wash their hands after going to the bathroom and touching their private parts. This is a habit they transfer from their homes. Should we confront them and ask them to wash in order to help the prevent the spread of the noro virus ?

[quote name='grandsix'] Should we confront them and ask them to wash in order to help the prevent the spread of the noro virus ?[/quote]

Two POV. It takes only one good man to stand aside . . .

OTOH you might just get poked for your trouble and still not reach the other 1999 that didn't wash. :(

Best is to take note and then eat with caution.

"Celebrity poolside grill has the best biscuits" but does everyone use the tongs?

How did you get the knife and fork on your tray?

Etc etc.

Do you use the washrooms ashore? Clean towels? Local maintain the standards you expect? A Yes and two Noes perhaps?

Mrs PN carries a portable alcohol wash so that ashore we still maintain the sanitation.

Just remember, if NLV strikes, the people most susceptible to infection have come from sterile environments where their immune systems have not been tested. Most of the wait staff come from 3rd world countries (if that term can still be used) and they are less than half as likely to get sick as the guests they serve.
I also believe, but I don't have the numbers, that people with pets and people from farm communities are less likely to get sick on board because their systems are in contact with more germs than "city slickers".
Sometimes it does not pay to be a clean freak.:eek:

[quote name='grandsix']We like to play the odds. [/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Every third person with whom you shake hands has not washed. The solution, make a point of not shaking hands on board... Whenever an NLV outbreak occurs, this is the first custom to be curtailed.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived