Cell phone usage

Woch2331

What is the cell phone coverage (if any) while traveling Eastern Caribbean? We'll be traveling the Glory on 09/04 and wasn't sure if it's possible to use one while in port.

It all depends on where you're going, which phone model you have and what service you currently have. The best way to find out is to check with your current cellular service provider for international roaming details. My suggestion is to NOT use analog cellular anywhere, but especially outside of the states.

What is the cell phone coverage (if any) while traveling Eastern Caribbean? We'll be traveling the Glory on 09/04 and wasn't sure if it's possible to use one while in port.
My phone (Sprint PCS) has usually worked in St. Thomas and Nassau, but not in St. Maarten. It does tend to change as much as the weather, though, so we'll just have to play it by ear.

I say we because, well, there's more of us CruiseCritters goin' on that same sailing. Hop on over to http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=31282 and check out our sailaway gathering at the bar, and perhaps even some information in the next couple days about a dinner Friday night for those who are in the Port Canaveral area the night before.

I talked with someone at verizon and they told me that my cell will work in San Juan and that there will be no extra airtime charge. i also will have coverage in St Thomas at a charge of 69c a minute. Still much cheaper than 10.00 for 5 min on the ship if you need to call home :)Bonnie

Just be careful with the roaming charges.

You got that right!

I assumed that St Thomas, being part of the United States, would be covered on my "no roaming charges anywhere in the United States" calling plan. The fine print reads "in the continental United States" and man did I ever pay for that one!

Here's more:

http://www.lifeiscruising.com/calling_home

Flyboysmom- What's atTracFone?

We have AT&T. By accident I found out that our phone worked. I went to set the alarm on the phone for the next morning and noticed that the phone was working. We were out at sea somewhere between St. Maarten and Barbados. I called back home and talked 15 minutes. The bill was right around $15.00.

My cell phone with Verizon in California worked out in St. Thomas and San Juan January of 2003 at no extra charge than my normal monthly fee and minutes usage. It was kind of exciting to call home from the balcony of our cabin docked in San Juan

Archived