What's the 'Must See' things on Martinique?

Vols4Cruising

My ship was also in port for a limited time. I just stuck with going into Fort-de-France.

Once you clear the gates, there are drivers there offering tours and taxi service into downtown. Since I was alone, I waited until a few more people arrived that wanted to go into the downtown area.

We rode in an mini van and the price got down to $3 per person. The guy offered to do a local tour, but no one wanted to do this.

We were dropped off in front of a craft area. This was also the spot to catch a cab back to the pier.

I enjoyed myself just wandering around to the various sites from the map that I picked up getting off the boat. Since the euro is alot stronger than the U.S. dollar, things were more pricer. I suggest to take about $100 to $200 in euros.

Go to the open farmer's market. enjoy seeing the different veggies and fruits. Also the spices in the warm air was enjoyable.

There's a supermarket which carried a large selection of French wines at great prices.

I purchased a wonderful painting for myself and some painting on coconut shells. I also stop at a pastry shop and purchace some yummy goodies.

My french is very limited. But with the basics, I was able to get along quite well.

I like the fact that the people were not all in my face and a firm no was all it took.

I was traveling solo, but never felt in any harm. I used my common sense and was aware of my surroundings. I also was constantly running into people from the ship.

I enjoyed this port and would visit again. I would like to be in port longer where I could visit outside the city.

I hope this helps.

I also posted some threads when I return to the ship that day. Just look below on some of the other posting.

Archived