La Cage Fashions

melaniepeg

I guess my point was...who cares how someone states something. This thread did start to have a negative response from some people. I am never quite sure why everyone has to post exactly as someone else expects. If the post doesn't make sense to you..oh well life goes on

Jane & mbuenzli...my point exactly.

It takes a WHOLE lot to offend me. I suppose the op just wanted to make himself known to the fashionistas. Also, I have never felt any negativity or hostility toward the op or this thread. I also questioned the frown before the title.

It's not that the post doesn't make sense. It makes perfect sense. But, what does it have to do with cruise fashions? :confused:

Melanpeg,

When will you be going on your cruise? That helps dictate what you should wear.

You'll probably be visiting a lot of churches in Italy and they all require that people have covered shoulders - no tank tops.

What you chose to wear depends on how much you want to blend. Certain clothes and shoes will make you stand out like an American tourist while others will make you look like a local. Maybe it's because I'm from NYC, but I always dress in a way that makes the locals greet me in their own language - which of course, I don't speak. It's really quite funny.

Depending on the time of year, wear a pair of nice neutral toned trousers with a linen shirt and perhaps a sweater over your shoulder (if it's chilly) and you'll blend. Wear a hot pink or turquiose polyester pant suit and you won't. Your choice.

Make sure you bring an umbrella and a rain jacket on your cruise and hopefully you won't have to use it. :-)

Jane

Wow! Sounds like you're going to have a great cruise. I'm originally from the UK.

Since the Games I have a new desire to go to Greece - it looked amazing on TV.

Fashion-wise - I love the linen idea above with white. Cool and smart yet casual.

Have a great cruise and let us know how it was when you get back:)

Great, that's more like it!

I've found, over the years, that no matter where you are, if you're dressed rather conservatively, in neutral colors, you'll be fine. Jane's got some great advice. If you're wearing your Tweety Bird sweatshirt, painted-on leggings, hair in a scrunchie and big, white sneakers, tacky American is all the locals will see.

Your cruise sounds wonderful...I'm envious! The ports will be absolutely fabulous. Enjoy!

Yes, I should have asked in the first post for advice on what to wear on tours in the Mediterreraen ports of Marseille, Monte Carlo/Cannes, Florence, Rome and Naples.

I have been to all the places you asked about, and you've gotten some good advice in terms of proper coverage and not standing out in a crowd.

I don't worry too much about being recognized as an American/tourist (maybe I'm naive); if you're sensitive about that, then your shirt with the American flag on it is probably a bad choice.

Their will be a LOT of walking on uneven surfaces, and probably many stairs, along with a lot of standing, so be absolutely sure to wear comfortable shoes.

I don't know about you, but if my feet hurt, ain't nobody having a good time.

Another thing that can be worth its weight in gold is Immodium AD. You'll probably eat a lot of rich, unusual food so keep a few doses of that with you at all times.

My Mediterranean cruise in '98 was (so far) the trip of a lifetime; I'm very envious. We went at about the same time you did, and the weather was fabulous.

T

Archived