Recommendation for Snorkeling on a Quiet Beach …Please!

lisa928

My husband and I are in our early thirties and will be on our third (NCL) cruise, this time 14-days from NYC to Miami leaving on 10/28. Over the past two cruises we have learned that we really did not enjoy the organized excursions, but rather catching a cab to a beach for snorkeling. Last time we did it ‘his’ way (i.e. grabbing a cab and asking the cabbie where the best place to go was) and this time we are doing it ‘my’ way (i.e. doing a little homework before, which is the reason I am here!).

Anyway, our cruise has eight stops (see itinerary below) and what I am looking for are suggestions of a quiet beach that is great for snorkeling, noting we have our own equipment! We are really big in saltwater fish with a 220-gallon tank containing fish, live coral, inverts, etc. With that said, we are interesting in seeing more than purple tangs, parrot fish, or chromis fish. I am looking for sharks or turtles, but would love to see a more variety of fish and some corals. (I know, one of these days we will get out scuba licenses). Oh, by the way, when I say quiet beach I would prefer some place without water sports, not a lot of people, and I could care less about amenities, but at the same time I would prefer not to be an hour away from the port.

Okay, I know that is a lot of info, but I am hoping the more detailed the more likely the recommendations will fit what we are looking for. Although this board is island specific, I am posting all our stops, in case someone else also familiar with one of our other stops, but I am also going to post in other appropriate boards.

• St. Thomas
  • St. Kitts
  • Barbados
  • Aruba
  • Curacao
  • Ocho Rios
  • Grand Cayman
  • Cozumel

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Lisa

Though you may not be totally alone, for the quality of the snorkeling or diving, I highly recommend Playa PortoMari Beach. It is far enough off the beaten path of the cruise ship passengers we found more locals and island guests at the beach then fellow cruisers.

Playa PortoMari?

Playa PortoMari Beach Review

http://www.playaportomari.com/underwater.html

http://www.our-cruises.com/curacao/portomari_snorkel.htm They have 2 underwater snorkel trails.

My husband and I are in our early thirties and will be on our third (NCL) cruise, this time 14-days from NYC to Miami leaving on 10/28. Over the past two cruises we have learned that we really did not enjoy the organized excursions, but rather catching a cab to a beach for snorkeling. Last time we did it ‘his’ way (i.e. grabbing a cab and asking the cabbie where the best place to go was) and this time we are doing it ‘my’ way (i.e. doing a little homework before, which is the reason I am here!).

Anyway, our cruise has eight stops (see itinerary below) and what I am looking for are suggestions of a quiet beach that is great for snorkeling, noting we have our own equipment! We are really big in saltwater fish with a 220-gallon tank containing fish, live coral, inverts, etc. With that said, we are interesting in seeing more than purple tangs, parrot fish, or chromis fish. I am looking for sharks or turtles, but would love to see a more variety of fish and some corals. (I know, one of these days we will get out scuba licenses). Oh, by the way, when I say quiet beach I would prefer some place without water sports, not a lot of people, and I could care less about amenities, but at the same time I would prefer not to be an hour away from the port.

Okay, I know that is a lot of info, but I am hoping the more detailed the more likely the recommendations will fit what we are looking for. Although this board is island specific, I am posting all our stops, in case someone else also familiar with one of our other stops, but I am also going to post in other appropriate boards.

• St. Thomas
  • St. Kitts
  • Barbados
  • Aruba
  • Curacao
  • Ocho Rios
  • Grand Cayman
  • Cozumel

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

We are on the same sailing (and roll call) and also want to head over to Playa Porto Mari. Are you interested in sharing a taxi to go there? We are a party of 3.

Harry

Hi Harry,

Yes, that sounds good. I was trying to figure out a way to send you a private message, but I can't figure it out. If you can email me!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I don't have your email address. I contacted a few taxi drivers in Curacao to see if they are available and how much they charge. On these Curacao boards, I read that the lowest rate is $10/person one-way. Are you a party of 2 people?

• 1 month later...
I thought there was a way to send a PM (private message) but I can't figure it out - glad I am not the only one. Anyway lisa928@optonline.net. Yes I too have read the $10pp on the boards, and yes we are a party of 2.

In June we were a party of 2 and the taxi driver quoted us $40 ONE WAY:eek: , which works out to $20 per person. We weren't prepared (cash wise) for that so we had to skip it. However, I have read that if you have more people then the price per person goes down. I'd be interested in your review now that you are back. We will be going back again in 2008 and we'll bring more cash this time :D

yes. some of the posts are misleading about the cabfare to playa porto marie. the price is by the cab, not pp. people have come up with 10/pp because they split the fare with 4 people. i, too, found this out the hard way. we were so determined to go to that beach that we just paid the fare. in my opinion we made a good choice. one of my favorite beaches anywhere.

steve

Archived