Two letter designation for Emerald Princess?

Colo Cruiser

Is it EP? :)

PRINCESS SHIP ABBREVIATIONS

* CB - Caribbean Princess

* CO - Coral Princess

* KP - Crown Princess

* DP - Dawn Princess

* DI - Diamond Princess

* NP - Golden Princess

* AP - Grand Princess

* IP - Island Princess

* PA - Pacific Princess

* GP - Regal Princess

* SA - Sapphire Princess

* CP - Sea Princess

* TP - Star Princess

* SP - Sun Princess

* TA - Tahitian Princess

Emerald Princess is "EP"

PRINCESS SHIP ABBREVIATIONS
There's now an updated list in the post that's linked to in my signature.
I wonder who came up with that system, somebody who gives out 2 letter codes to airlines? LOL

Two ships that start with G, and the GP is given to a ship that starts with R

I suspect that you have to go back in history to see which ships Princess had at which times, and what letters were available at the time that each new ship came on stream.

For example, IIRC Regal Princess (1990) came into the fleet after Royal Princess did (1984). Although I can't remember off the top of my head what Royal Princess' letters were, it wouldn't surprise me if they were RP (as for the current Royal Princess).

So Regal couldn't be RP and had to take another easy-to-remember pair of letters - at least, easy and unambiguous to those inside the company.

But then, once G was allocated to Regal in 1990, then the later Grand (1998) and Golden (2001) each had to be something else.

Your comparison with airline two-character codes is apt: IATA has much the same problem when obvious codes for new airlines have unfortunately already been used by other airlines.

And now that Princess seems to have moved away from having the second letter as "P" for Princess, things may get rather better.

If I can say so, those ship abbreviations drive me nuts. I mean, I can understand Princess using them for internal communications, but, honestly, for those of us who contribute to these boards, are any of us SO busy that we can't simply type out the name of the ship? I mean, we can even skip the "Princess" part. I find them especially confusing when used in the title of a thread, and then people respond and it turns out they're talking about 2 different ships.

But it's probably just me. I also dislike the DH, DW, DD, DS acronyms. I mean, for the times I'm not particularly thinking of my H as D, should I just type H?

JMVHO. ;)

If I can say so, those ship abbreviations drive me nuts. I mean, I can understand Princess using them for internal communications, but, honestly, for those of us who contribute to these boards, are any of us SO busy that we can't simply type out the name of the ship? I mean, we can even skip the "Princess" part. I find them especially confusing when used in the title of a thread, and then people respond and it turns out they're talking about 2 different ships.

But it's probably just me. I also dislike the DH, DW, DD, DS acronyms. I mean, for the times I'm not particularly thinking of my H as D, should I just type H?

JMVHO. ;)

I agree but as far as DW I just sub "Dizzy" for the D. :D

I agree but as far as DW I just sub "Dizzy" for the D. :D

DH is sooo politically correct! He never knows if I mean darling, dear,dumb, or that famous word Cark Gable used in "Gone with the Wind".;)

Archived