Local Seafood Joints-Newport or Bar Harbor?

tuckerstravel

Hi Cruise Critic:

My parents are sailing on 10/06 Crown Princess.

When stopping at Bar Harbor, Newport, even Halifax--they really want some good local seafood at restaurants that are close or even semi-close to the pier.

I'm looking for any recommendations where they could walk or take a cab. Nothing fancy, they are happy to eat outdoors. Just darn good seafood.

thanks in advance!

I would say Bar Harbor although I haven't been there for years and am not familiar with the local restaurants.

If they're docked in Boston, I would recommend the "No Name" restaurant which is a short distance from the Black Falcon terminal. It's definitely local, not fancy at all, and very reasonable. You sit at long tables, joining a bunch of people you've never seen before. The seafood is excellent. It's located on the pier next to the World Trade Center.

LOBSTER LUNCH in Bar Harbor

There is a little place near where the tenders dock that has real, authentic, fresh whole Maine lobster. When you exit the dock area, turn right to go along the street that parallels the water--It is probably 4 or 5 blocks to the cafe. The name of the restaurant is called the West Side Café. It isn't fancy but we sure enjoyed our lobster. For $19.95 (that was the price two years ago) you will be served a cup of clam chowder, a whole lobster with butter, coleslaw, French fries and a slice of blueberry pie. The food is wonderful!

My number one choice in Newport would be Chrisiti's... They have the best seafood. You can pick to eat inside or outside. October is iffy... You could get a wonderful day or it might just be a bit too cold to eat outside... For great clam chowder I would go to the Black Pearl, which has outside dining. For the best palce to stop for a drink I would pick the Red Parrott. I actually have some pictures of the food at Christi's. Not the best review but good pictures!!

Click on the Newport button

http://WWW.JustCruisin-SV.com

You don't even have to walk. There is a GREAT restaurant right at the dock (lower level) that serves a 2 lb. lobster dinner. My son and I ate their about three years ago. It's been on the dock for many years.

My son still remembers that meal, although I'm blanking on the name of the restaurant.

We are going to sail on the Carribean next fall. I can't wait to go back there and tackle another 2 pounder.

You don't even have to walk. There is a GREAT restaurant right at the dock (lower level) that serves a 2 lb. lobster dinner. My son and I ate their about three years ago. It's been on the dock for many years.

My son still remembers that meal, although I'm blanking on the name of the restaurant.

We are going to sail on the Carribean next fall. I can't wait to go back there and tackle another 2 pounder.

I think you are talking about the Fish House Grill

http://www.fishhousegrill.com/

I ordered a whole bowl of lobster claws!

Check out our trip report and pics at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/maasdam2.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Hi Tuckerstravel. Greetings from Bar Harbor, Maine. If your parents want great seafood not far from the pier, they should try Fish House Grille, or West Street Cafe'. However, they will not get the true Maine Lobster Bake experience unless they venture outside of Bar Harbor a bit. Truly, the Maine lobster will be fabulous no matter where they dine, and there is outside seating, but it is getting chilly here, so inside seating may be the way to go. Depending upon their arrival they should be in for a treat as the foliage is getting ready to peak and the colors are magnificent this year.

Archived