All things Monarch of the Seas

I have a question for the Monarch fans. I have a cabin that is close to the circuit disco on deck 8. Is there a wall between the cabin areas and the disco, or will it be really noisy?

Not sure how much noise you will hear, but there is a short hallway between the last cabin and the doors to the Circuit. The cabin hallway (at least on the port side) turns to the right, passes the ladies room (which can get quite busy and noisy) then turns to the left and goes straight to the Circuit. If you're in one of the last cabins on that hallway, I would imagine you might have some noise issues--at the very least from the women in the restroom.

I'm surprised that they don't add cheap sound doors to close off the cabin areas.

They have expensive fire doors, but they keep them open except in an emergency or fire drill. Or before 1:30 on embarkation day to keep you out until the staterooms are officially ready.:)

Thanks for answering my question about the suitcases. My friends and I are going on our first cruise on the Monarch this July and this thread has been super helpful. I have a few other questions that I didn't want to start a whole seperate thread, so hopefully someone here can answer them for me.

1. Can you guys recommend some restaurants in Ensenada? We joke around about how when we get into Mexico we just want to plop down somewhere to eat some tacos and drink some margaritas. Any favorite places to get some good Mexican food? [We already plan on going to Papas and Beer for the alcohol part of this outting]

2. I read somewhere about getting massages in Ensenada also and thanks to google I found www.ensenda.com. They have a whole listing of services and prices. It sure is inexpensive which makes it all the more inticing. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with that location before and if they could give me a mini review/if it's worth it. Oh and if reservations are really necessary.

3. Does anyone have pictures inside inside the oceanview staterooms on Deck 2? Or any deck if there's no difference.

4. In a thread for first time cruisers, someone said something about how when you check in, you can bypass the line to take a picture because it's not necessary [more for souvenir purposes] and costs like $7.50. Is this true? We don't want to be spending extra money on things like that.

Thanks in advance! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Super excited for the cruise :]

Thanks for answering my question about the suitcases. My friends and I are going on our first cruise on the Monarch this July and this thread has been super helpful. I have a few other questions that I didn't want to start a whole seperate thread, so hopefully someone here can answer them for me.

1. Can you guys recommend some restaurants in Ensenada? We joke around about how when we get into Mexico we just want to plop down somewhere to eat some tacos and drink some margaritas. Any favorite places to get some good Mexican food? [We already plan on going to Papas and Beer for the alcohol part of this outting]

2. I read somewhere about getting massages in Ensenada also and thanks to google I found www.ensenda.com. They have a whole listing of services and prices. It sure is inexpensive which makes it all the more inticing. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with that location before and if they could give me a mini review/if it's worth it. Oh and if reservations are really necessary.

3. Does anyone have pictures inside inside the oceanview staterooms on Deck 2? Or any deck if there's no difference.

4. In a thread for first time cruisers, someone said something about how when you check in, you can bypass the line to take a picture because it's not necessary [more for souvenir purposes] and costs like $7.50. Is this true? We don't want to be spending extra money on things like that.

Thanks in advance! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Super excited for the cruise :]

I can answer #3 and #4.

This is a picture off of webshots I found of an inside cabin. This was taken from standing just outside the doorway. They are small at only 119 sq ft.

2585160170102015050S425x425Q85.jpg

... and yes, you can bypass the pictures at embarkation. You just walk by instead of stopping! :D

Thank you. I was wondering about the bathroom being so close, it looks like it is right next to my cabin. I'm surprised that they don't add cheap sound doors to close off the cabin areas.

You may find that there is no noise-we also had an end cabin right near the staircase, also deck 8. I was really surprised at how quiet it actually was. However, since we were portside deck 8, we took that hallway to the Circuit every night---and I remember thinking some of the women in that bathroom were really noisy. Hopefully the sound proofing in your cabin will be sufficient.

Enjoy your trip---the staff is wonderful!!

The picture is actually 24.95---they only sell that one as a package, with wallets, and whatever else. I was really annoyed, because that was the only photo I wanted to buy, but they wouldn't sell it unless you bought the whole package.

hmm we are also on deck 8, next to laat cabin towards circuit lounge, anyone had those cabins and would perhpas know for sure if we d be disturbed? thnx..is circuit lounge a bar or showroom??

It's a little of both. It's a bar area, with a lounge and center stage. They do Karaoke, bingo, disco, and Quest there. We also saw a late night comedian there, but I don't know if that is offered on every sailing.

Thank you for your feedback. I worked at a fire school when I was in the navy and I find it ironic that they have expensive fire doors and keep them open. They only work if they are closed.

We usually go to El Pueblo, which from your perspective has the advantage of being just down the street from Papas & Beer. Coming from the port, walk down Lopez Mateo until you see (or hear) Papas & Beer on your right. Turn left at the street corner (can't remember the name) and you'll see it. I don't go to Mexico for Italian food, but they have a wood-fired pizza oven and the pizzas are very good.

You left out an "E" in there, and I'm too lazy to look, LOL. Email spatherapy@hotmail.com and make an appointment to go to the Massage and Facial Care located at 743 Av. Lopez Mateo. They'll take great care of you. A full hour massage (60 minutes, not the 50 minutes the ship gives you) is $50, plus tip.

is it a late night dance place club kinda thing where it could end up noisy to our cabin say after 1 am? thnx

It could. I've only stayed up late enough for last call once and I think it was at 2:00am. Others in my group would know better, though.:D

Question, any T-Mobile users here? If so, did you get service on the Monarch? T-Mobile has just about every ship but the MOS of the seas listed (including the Carnival ship you cruise alongside). Just wanted to know if any TMO users had been able to roam on Cellular at Sea. If not, I hope to have service poolside from the rival Carnival.

Also, I checked out most of this thread and didn't see much talk of the Deck 9 SO rooms. I'm pretty aft on the ship, how obstructed am I going to be?

Fatty

hello all, i am kicking around the idea of going on the monarch for a 4 night sailing in august:)

i just wonder, truly how bad is the obstruction of view from the lifeboats? is it like looking at a yellow wall or just partial blockage:confused:

thanks in advance:cool:

dave

imo its not worth paying extra for the OV if you have those windows

hello cruiserbryce,it is barely any more money for the deck 8 ov cabins,so i figure it will help the wife from feeling too closed in;)

do you know how blocked it is??

dave

The Circuit closes at 1:30, which is far earlier than any other ship I have been on.

I would get an OV on deck 8 before an OV on deck 2, or any inside for that matter. Deck 8 is convenient to everything - not too far up or down to get to where you want to be (I only take stairs). I prefer deck 9 or 10, though, as the cabins below deck 9 are so small.

Also, I checked out most of this thread and didn't see much talk of the Deck 9 SO rooms. I'm pretty aft on the ship, how obstructed am I going to be?

Fatty

Deck 9 cabins aren't obstructed view - you look OVER the lifeboats instead of AT them the way you do on Deck 8. If you're in the last cabin on Deck 9 you'll have a pretty good view because there's a platform there instead of a lifeboat and there isn't as much to look over.

As for the Deck 8 cabins, somebody (Merion Mom, perhaps some other people) has posted a schematic that shows which cabins are in between the lifeboats and therefore hardly have any obstruction. It's probably on this thread somewhere.

Archived