Carnival Liberty 09/23/07 review (LONG)

jennybabee

As far as the dining room table and time being on my card, it was , but it did not indicate if it was for a 2 person table or a 20 person table. My husband and I have been stuck with crappy table mates before and wanted to avoid that. On other cruise lines, when you ask for a 2 topper, you actually get it with out having to stand in a long line.

Sounded like you created your own problem regarding the dining room and then it all went downhill after that. Usually when someone starts off in a bad mood from the get go that's generally what happens from the reviews I read anyways.

They put the dining room name, table number and time on your card. All you had to do was find that dining room and look for the table number. You would have found out what size it was right there all on your own. No standing in lines.

Also what cruise line gives you a table size when you book? I know Carnival and RCCL don't. Not sure how they can do that.

Well good luck on your next ship whichever that one might be.

Oh I wanted to add....if the first night they opened the dining room doors late a couple minutes and jammed up the elevators. Why didn't you just leave your cabin a little later the following nights? Or earlier and sit out in the lounge and you can see when they open.

Hey Toni.....haven't seen you in a while...how have you been?

Yeah waiting 2-6 mins for dinner is nothing.

Ohhh did you see my thread about "All Things Miracle"? Why don't you go and take a look. It's either at the bottom of this page or the top of the 2nd.

HI Sandi!

I had a really bad cold that turned into bronchitis this past week or so

Stayed in bed a few days... Thanks for noticing!

I did see your miracle thread and added that pdf i have to it!

its a great thread!!

How are you?

I don't think the poster's opinions were because the poster was being picky and looking for faults. I think that the review indicates that the overall quality was just not to the level that they were led to expect. The comment cards ask if the areas were exceeding expectations and evidently they did not. The review shows what this cruiser felt about the cruise and those reading can read and decide if they want to listen to it or disregard the information. It is subjective in nature as all opinion oriented things are. There is no need to bash the people who post reviews.

I have been on 7 cruises so far and I was not impressed with the Liberty either. We had bar staff that did not want to wait on us and others that were great. The waiter in the dining room did not introduce himself or wait around for us to talk to him. We never were greeted by our names and this is something that has always happened in the past. The food was good in the dining room but nothing more. The steaks were very fatty and some were actually too tough to eat. As far as the buffet goes, the food was poor quality in many cases.The Asian station and the deli were fantastic. The omelet stations were painfully slow in comparision to the ones we have experienced in the past. This created waits that were up to 20 minutes at times. Yet, waiting for the omelet was better than the powdered egg alternative.

Our room was fine with the exception of the things scraping the floor at night and in the morning but that was the fault of taking a chance with a guarantee cabin and not choosing one ourselves. I am not worried about that.

The ship was awkward as far as layout and I did not enjoy that it was hard to get outside on the lower decks. Oftentimes the doors were blocked. Also, this was by far the smokiest ship I have ever been on. I could rarely spend much time on the one side of the ship due to high smoke levels. I have trouble breathing when around large amounts of smoke but have never had to avoid areas of a ship due to the level of smoke, until now.

I do not think we will cruise Carnival again due to the experiences here. No, they did not ruin my trip but I will not necessarily spend money for the experience again. I will chose another line and see what happens. Overall, I think that the industry is getting too popular and there are so many ships to choose from that the industry standards are falling. Therefore, what used to be top notch service is not happening anywhere on main stream lines. That being said, you can harass me all you want but we are all entitled to our opinions. If you prefer Carnival than by all means, sail Carnival. If it is not to your liking, go on another line.

It is still better to cruise with lower than expected results than to be at home or work and I feel lucky to have the opportunity.

Aleece

Also what cruise line gives you a table size when you book? I know Carnival and RCCL don't. Not sure how they can do that.

Now hold it right there! That is where I draw the line! If you book the Gulf-Stream Pirate dinner cruise out of Little River, NC, you know that you are going to have a 2 person table just like you expected. NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!! And you also know that they have a 2 for 1 special on Bud Lights on Thursday's. You DO have to stand in line though to buy tickets for the bait and tackle raffle. That always got me a little steamed!

I actually appreciate that people who had experiences other than "oh, it was a cruise and i'm not picky so it was wonderful and anyone who says anything is just being a grouch."

I want someone's honest opinion, regardless of what that opinion might be.

Just because someone had a nice cruise on the same ship last month doesn't mean that someone might have not-as-nice a cruise this month.

Every cruise is different. People have different expectations. To say that "hey, it's Carnival and you get what you pay for" is oversimplifying things, too.

It is still expensive. I want to have a relaxing vacation with the option to stay busy IF that's what I want. I want the ship to be clean. I want the common areas to not be so smoky that I can't breathe. I want the crew to be friendly without being subservient. I want parents to keep control over their kids. I want the buffet lines to move smoothly (although I realize there WILL be lines).

Just because we cruise Carnival doesn't mean we should lower our standards to the point that NOTHING matters!

If nothing matters to you, good for you. Then you shouldn't care that it DOES matter to someone else!

Now hold it right there! That is where I draw the line! If you book the Gulf-Stream Pirate dinner cruise out of Little River, NC, you know that you are going to have a 2 person table just like you expected. NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!! And you also know that they have a 2 for 1 special on Bud Lights on Thursday's. You DO have to stand in line though to buy tickets for the bait and tackle raffle. That always got me a little steamed!

Lines shmines.........I'll stand in line anywhere for a 2 for 1 special:p

C'mon, folks. If someone takes the time to come here and write a review, why can't we just read it and comment without ripping into them?

It was their cruise. It was their review. Is finding fault with the review or reviewer any better than the cruiser finding fault with the cruise?

:confused:

Are a review not allowed until they thought the cruise was perfect?

Well said!!

As a non American I sometimes read some of the replies on this forum and wonder about the people we are going to cruise with in December.

It is still expensive. I want to have a relaxing vacation with the option to stay busy IF that's what I want. I want the ship to be clean. I want the common areas to not be so smoky that I can't breathe. I want the crew to be friendly without being subservient. I want parents to keep control over their kids. I want the buffet lines to move smoothly (although I realize there WILL be lines).

And your expectations sound normal.

Did ya read the complaints?

Most were about the lines. (duh 3,000 people)

The dining room was always 2 - 6 minutes late opening?:cool:

The cruise director had sooo many announcements we could not relax?:cool:

Could not find anywhere outside on deck 3 where it was not smoky?:cool:

Oh and here's a good one...food was very hard to find on this ship:cool:

Now if that does not sound like nitpicking I don't know what does;)

Well said!!

As a non American I sometimes read some of the replies on this forum and wonder about the people we are going to cruise with in December.

Well, I can't speak for any other nationality other than American, since being one. However, I find it hard to believe that in other countries people dont have to stand in lines sometimes (especially in confined areas with lots of people like say, on a cruise ship). I also know that being late to open for dinner even if only 2 - 6 minutes can cause some people to be agitated in the hustle and bustle of REAL LIFE. Tardiness is a big pet peeve of mine. However, on vacation, it is a time to relax, (not your expectations completely, but seriously 2-6 minutes, and by who's clock?) I think we should be honest with our reviews, but it just strikes me as funny when someone says they are not a complainer, but have to kiss their sister just to find something nice to say about their cruise. It is a floating entertainment facility going to some of the most beautiful places on Earth. There has to be a few things to happy with. Right??? Maybe not, just my American 2 cents.

Well said!!

Why wonder.. we modeled ourselves after the English;)

OMG, this following statement of yours just cracked me up :D !!!

" I am not usually one to complain but this so called vacation was a nightmare."

Your kidding right !!! I don't think cruising on any line is for you !!!

HI Sandi!

I had a really bad cold that turned into bronchitis this past week or so

Stayed in bed a few days... Thanks for noticing!

I did see your miracle thread and added that pdf i have to it!

its a great thread!!

How are you?

Hope you are feeling better now. Doing good thanks. Ohhh yeah now I remember you posted the pdf.:p

And your expectations sound normal.

Did ya read the complaints?

Most were about the lines. (duh 3,000 people)

The dining room was always 2 - 6 minutes late opening?:cool:

The cruise director had sooo many announcements we could not relax?:cool:

Could not find anywhere outside on deck 3 where it was not smoky?:cool:

Oh and here's a good one...food was very hard to find on this ship:cool:

Now if that does not sound like nitpicking I don't know what does;)

And my point was simply that what I expect may not be what someone else expects and that ripping into the OP doesn't exactly encourage anyone else to state their opinions.

I haven't been here long, but there's just way too much "attacking the poster" stuff going on.

Sorry, it's my moderator tendencies coming out. I've moderated a discussion board for a few years, and we just don't allow the personal attacks.

Why does anyone here CARE that the OP was unhappy with lines? Why can't we just read their review? Who are we to tell them they have no right to be picky?

And my point was simply that what I expect may not be what someone else expects and that ripping into the OP doesn't exactly encourage anyone else to state their opinions.

I haven't been here long, but there's just way too much "attacking the poster" stuff going on.

Sorry, it's my moderator tendencies coming out. I've moderated a discussion board for a few years, and we just don't allow the personal attacks.

Why does anyone here CARE that the OP was unhappy with lines? Why can't we just read their review? Who are we to tell them they have no right to be picky?

Bravo!:)

Why can't we just read their review?

Because it wouldn't be a forum if we just read and did not respond. She does have the right to be picky and state her complaints. We have the right to question why these things bothered her and state our opinions on the matter. I hope these aren't considered personal attacks. We aren't calling her names or talking about her momma or something personal, just disagreeing with her reasoning. And I know that we all are different, no hard feelings.

Ok Mr. Moderater then you should know if they did not want feedback they would have put the review in the review column of cc donchathink;)

No personal attack from me.....unless you think the word nitpicking is of such:p When I read a review and it complains about everything...oh wait she did mention the spa was good (but did have to throw the dig in that it was not owned by Carnival) and yes she liked the supper club but oh wait complained it was more expensive then others:cool: Hmmmm makes me think this person is just not a happy camper period.

Ok Mr. Moderater then you should know if they did not want feedback they would have put the review in the review column of cc donchathink;)

No personal attack from me.....unless you think the word nitpicking is of such:p When I read a review and it complains about everything...oh wait she did mention the spa was good (but did have to throw the dig in that it was not owned by Carnival) and yes she liked the supper club but oh wait d it was more expensive then others:cool: Hmmmm makes me think this person is just not a happy camper period.

Bravo!:)

O.K Trock, you've opened a can of worms there, as a "Scouser" i.e a native of Liverpool, England I'd like you to explain this one !!;)

There was sarcasm involved, my point is that people are people -all kinds shapes sizes... doesnt matter where you are from...

And USA is modeled after England

Archived