Evening attire

chesterbum

We are scheduled to cruise on the Serenade of the Seas in July. I want to cut back on the amount of luggage I take. Is it permissible to wear jeans to dinner or do I need to include nicer clothes for the dinner hour? Thanks

There will be three standards that may apply. One is what you're comfortable with. Two is what the maitre 'd will or won't let you in with - some lines turn people away in "inappropriate" attire - whatever that may mean to a particular headwaiter on a particular night. Usually denim is not encouraged in the main dining rooms. Three is what you can live with if other passengers are glaring at you for looking slobby instead of snobby.

Most ships have "alternate" dining venues where the attire-of-the-day rules are relaxed. Check out the literature on your particular cruise.

But just to note, the "Alaska Tuxedo" consists of pressed bluejeans, polished boots, and a nice bolo tie worn with a new Pendleton shirt. So wear that on formal nights and educate the waitstaff about the standards that apply on shore. When in Rome...

The Norwegian Sun definitely won't let you wear jeans in either the 4 Seasons or 7 Seas for dinner - don't know about the specialty restaurants - you should be okay in the buffets since many people take their meals and eat outside or in the sports bar area.

I would think that most other lines have similiar rules.

Dennis

Sun Princess to Alaska May 2000
Norwegian Sun - Panama Canal 4/11/04
Norwegian Sun - Pacific Coastal 4/27/04

Since you are taking a wonderful cruise and spending a whole wack of money-why not take something nice to wear at dinner. Pair of black slacks and some shirts.

Time for another Cruise!

I wear a nice pair of jeans with a dressy shirt and shoes and think it's entirely appropriate....and I think I look just as nice as anyone else in there...believe me, what people have on will run the gamut. I prefer to be comfortable...and my children don't have alot of dressy clothes so I let them wear jeans and a nice pullover. On formal nights we dress up more, but not for the other nights. We've never been turned away or have I been made to feel uncomfortable. We cruise again in a few days and I plan to do the same. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] have fun

We saw the whole run of clothing from super dressy to super casual. It spoiled it a bit for us, as we were looking forward to being able to dress up super fancy (especially on the formal nights) - but people do what they feel like - it's their vacation too.

First cruise on Serenade of the Seas, 5/30/04!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Kaylin-good for you. I plan on being comfortable on the cruise too. If other cruisers don't like it that's their problem. I dress for work every day as does my husband and I don't plan on spending a week dressing up every night! It's too bad that some people become so offended at others attire that they manage to let it wreck their cruise. I didn't realize that a whole cruise could be destroyed because someone has on blue jeans. Kind of short sighted when there are so many sights, other than ones apperance, to be seen in Alaska.

To the OP - there's a review on the Serenade active on this forum right now - it looks like the casual dressers outnumbered the formal ones on that trip, including many in jeans.

In our experience this debate is much more evident on the message boards than it ever is onboard the ships. With two thousand people, ages 0 to 90, you'll see it all. If people are offended by someone else's dress (too fancy/not fancy enough) then they will have problems on most lines. Of course the cruise lines are trying to sell the cruise "experience" (meaning what - the Titanic? First class or steerage?) so the literature always looks like you'll meet James Bond at the roulette table. You won't.

Chesterbum, What we are doing to cut down on packing is to take advantage of the laundry service onboard. As in sending it out to have it dry cleaned/laundered. A week on a cruise ship flies by too quickly, you don't want to be doing laundry.

Regardless of what other people may or may not think of your clothing choices, the dining rooms are very fancy. I, personally, would feel very underdressed in jeans, with the wait staff dressed up every night. Even on casual night, we like to dress nice. I don't know if you have ever been on a cruise, so please excuse me if I sound patronizing to you. I wear what I am comfortable in and I do not let what others are wearing affect my attitude in the least.

The suggested attire for RCCL are slacks for casual nights, but it no longer excludes jeans. This surprised me when I looked it up. It used to be that you may not have been allowed into the dining room inapropriately dressed. I will still wear nice clothing and will still appreciate the grace and effort by the staff to present me with a nice dining experience.

Kathy

That is really amusing to me that anyone would be offended by someone, God forbid, wearing jeans in the dining room. I mean, haven't we all learned the past year that there's more important things in life than worrying about what OTHER people wear to dinner? If you want to get really dressed up, I think that's great! If you choose not to, I think that's great also! I may feel like it one night, but not feel like it the next. After all, it's a vacation..

IMO:
People will wear what they will wear, however those same people should NOT be offended if it is a casual/semi-formal or even a formal night and they are asked to dine else where from the dining room because they are not dress appropriately. Aboard Celebrity recommendations are made each day to the evenings dress codes and its personal choice whether or not you dress that way. However should the maitre'd not understand your particular style you should be offended if you are asked to leave.

Also IMO:
If you don't like being told how to dress then cruise on a more casual ship that isn't so sticky about clothing guidelines, as many people have said its their vacation so its their choice!!!

On our last cruise we had a 14 year old boy and a 13 year old girl cruising with us. Nice Dockers and a dress shirt was fine for him on the casual and semi-formal nights and his mum purchased him a resonably priced suit for the formal nights. The 13 year old girl wore some simple dresses and those were fine as well.

Erin & Brent
"Friends are the family that you choose for yourself"

I joined Cruise Critic to obtain helpful information before we take our cruise. I have found a great deal of helpful information on everything from excursions to understanding "cruise etiquette." What I just can't understand is why some members (and not just on this thread) have to be so cruel. It's rather disappointing to read "adults" responding to others' opinions with name-calling and insults...hopefully, my first cruise experience won't be so disappointing.

diggity, I know it's hard, sometimes you just gotta move on. If you read a post that is really offensive, there's a little triangle on the bottom of the post. That is to alert the Hosts of a problem.

I have no idea why some people get so worked up over a message board, maybe they don't have another outlet for their frustration? This is a place to share information, ideas, suggestions...and to get to know each other a little better. Please don't leave the boards because of the ones who are not kind. I can assure you most all of the people onboard a ship will not be as critical as some are here.

Kathy

I don't want to keep this thread going, but maybe I need to apologize for some of the comments I made. If I offended some, I am truly sorry. But please read my comments.

Having just watched the Reagan procession through Washington, DC, maybe I can explain myself. Pomp, dignity, protocol and propriety are all things we are missing in our lives today. I know it is probably not proper to compare a President's funeral to a cruise, but here goes.

Cruises at one time were for the wealthy. All the pomp and circumstance and protocol was expected.

Now ALL of us can partake. We do not need to be wealthy to enjoy a cruise vacation. Why do some want to "downgrade" the experience?

If the cruise ship protocol requires "formal dress", why in the world would you "dress down"?
Wearing jeans to dinner only implies disrespect for your fellow passengers and your host-the cruise line, even if "you paid for your vacation". Pick another vacation which is suited to your lifestyle, be it jeans, shorts, snorkeling, whatever. Please think about what I am saying !!! We are becoming a nation of "I will do what I want, when I want". My parents taught me better. Let's hope "my parents" morality will continue for generations to come.

Life has many choices. Some cruise ships DO NOT require formal dress-Oceania being one of them. Please pick your cruise accordingly. And PLEASE, DO NOT wear JEANS to dinner, even on "casual night".

Yes, it really ruined it for me on my Alaska Princess cruise. Dress was not the only thing, but my DH, who lives in Levi's and T-shirts, will NOT go another cruise if people WILL not dress up. He felt like a fool being only one of three people in a dinner jacket on the cruise (direct quote from the Captain). One of the very few occasions I have to see my husband dressed up is on a cruise. He doesn't want to feel like a fool, if everyone else is "dressed down".

Sometimes you should just "follow the rules"

Just to jump in here: in my experience Alaska tends to be slightly more "casual" on formal nights (i.e less tuxes, formals etc) in large part because many people tour independently or with a cruisetour before the cruise AND/OR are packing much heavier (in weight luggage-wise and in amount of clothing) than for the Caribbean etc. With airlines being more strict about overweight luggage, this is also becoming a factor.
I personally (just my opinion here) have never had a cruise ruined by other passengers' attire.. Granted I may look twice at someone in a t-shirt and jeans on "formal night" but it's not that uncommon as many prefer to eat in the buffet areas than dress up for dining rooms. I go on vacation to get away from 60 hour workweeks and it takes a lot more than attire to get me stressed out[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I often wear a long black skirt or dress slacks and my one of my "dressy" Bob Mackie silky tops on formal night -- we are business casual (actually very casual) at the law firm where I work and it's nice to dress occasionally but I also like to be comfortable. Again, just my opinion.
Host Caroline
<font SIZE="1">[B]Join me on the beautiful Diamond Princess in July 2005 for Cruise Critic's Awesome Alaskan Adventure --You'll have a whale of a good time![/B] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas
Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle
One can [I]never[/I] have too many days at sea..</font>

Host Caroline,

I have NEVER been on a short cruise (7 days, IE:Caribbean, Bahamas, New England except for my disatrous Alaska cruise). I truly believe the "weight thing" with luggage is NON existant. People just need to learn how to pack. Too many tennis shoes, IMHO.

For an example: We were in London last year, June 13 to be exact. Sitting in the Hard Rock cafe in London. My husband made me a bet: I can pick out the Americans from their shoes. He picked 11 out of 13 couples right. All had on "tenni's" or something that was "very AMERICAN"

I really was astounded in Alaska -Dawn Princess, August 2002. One gentleman thought his PJ's and robe were appropriate attire and there was a whole group (about 20 people) who thought T-shirts that had ALASKA in sequins was FORMAL attire. If this is what the American cruise scene is coming to, please let me know. We will not be on anymore "American cruises, especially ALASKA."

I generally cruise the Exotics.

I've been reading all these posts, and now I simply have to respond! We are sailing on the Vision on June 18th. My DH and I fully intend to dress for formal nights. He will be wearing a very nice suit, and I have packed some lovely dresses. However! We are teachers. We spend entirely too much time on our feet during the week when we are in school, and we've decided that we will dress appropriately - down to our ankles. We've got very nice high-top Chuck Taylor sneakers that we are planning to wear in the dining room. Now, unless you plan on spending the entire evening with your heads under the tablecloth to see our comfortable footwear, I doubt that our attire will disturb you! Goodness! Even if we take the formal photographs - those sneakers won't show! So! Are we "acceptable?"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by greatam:
Host Caroline,

I have NEVER been on a short cruise (7 days, IE:Caribbean, Bahamas, New England except for my disatrous Alaska cruise). I generally cruise the Exotics.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hm...not sure what that means.. I go on 7, 10, 12, 16 night sailings and there are up to 14 night sailing in Alaska. The luggage issue is "existent" at least in the states.. let's face it... not everyone is as light a packer as they'd like to be and it's often difficult to pack for a destination where weather can be so unpredictable. That being said, there are a variety of cruises to a plethora of destinations so that there is "something for everyone".. I am truly sorry that the attire of some of your shipmates ruined this beautiful destination for you! Hopefully your future travels will be more pleasant

Host Caroline
<font SIZE="1">[B]Join me on the beautiful Diamond Princess in July 2005 for Cruise Critic's Awesome Alaskan Adventure --You'll have a whale of a good time![/B] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas
Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle
One can [I]never[/I] have too many days at sea..</font>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MerrylG:
I've been reading all these posts, and now I simply have to respond! We are sailing on the Vision on June 18th. My DH and I fully intend to dress for formal nights. He will be wearing a very nice suit, and I have packed some lovely dresses. However! We are teachers. We spend entirely too much time on our feet during the week when we are in school, and we've decided that we will dress appropriately - down to our ankles. We've got very nice high-top Chuck Taylor sneakers that we are planning to wear in the dining room. Now, unless you plan on spending the entire evening with your heads under the tablecloth to see our comfortable footwear, I doubt that our attire will disturb you! Goodness! Even if we take the formal photographs - those sneakers won't show! So! Are we "acceptable?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Host Caroline and MerrylG,

Sorry if my post came off as picking on your tennis shoes. I AM NOT picking on your tenni's. I wear them every day.

I was only picking on the weight issue as suggested by Host Caroline. Too many Americans load up the "tenni's" or other unnecessary stuff, only to find their luggage is overweight. If you really want to be in the great scheme of things, "SO WHAT, I will just pay for oversized luggage". "SO WHAT" seems to be the opinion for MOST cruisers anymore, much to my dismay.

The point of my post-there are TOO many AMERICAN people who pack TOO many pairs of tenni's or other unnecessary stuff. No one else in the world wears very expensive, VERY HEAVY tenni's. If you are thinking about luggage weight, think about how much your tenni's weigh.

I will not do another "American" cruise to Alaska on the "upscale" cruise lines. Extended (14-48 day) cruises are the only thing I will do in the future. More decorum and propriety!!!! Never been to the Caribbean or Bahamas, have NO desire to go. Only cruise the EXOTICS. Maybe that is my frame of reference.

Ronald Reagans' funeral showed what propriety, dignity and class was and should be in the future. This is what the world thinks of us-http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33272-2004Jun10.html. Why are we becoming a world of SLOBS? The airline weight limit-I don't think SO.

Chesterbum -

When are you sailing the Serenade? We will be on her July 18.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;7;18;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

<Marquee>I'm getting out there - SERENADE OF THE SEAS - July 18, 2004<Marquee>

Archived