Help! Liberty vs. RCI Brilliance in Europe??

kimanjo

Any and all advice, please.

We are planning a Euro cruise next summer and we are trying to decide which cruise/line to do. Here is our situation:

Mom, Dad, and daughter, age 12. We have sailed Celebrity many times but Celebrity has become too expensive for us. We cruised Asia a few years ago on the RCI Legend and thought RCI was very good (though not as good as Celebrity, but more fun) and we were satisfied. We just finished cruising Caribbean Princess and Mom was really thrilled with the self-serve laundry. Food and entertainment seemed equal to RCI. We would do Princess in a heartbeat but it won't work for us due to age breakdown (daughter would still be with 10-12 year-olds, but that summer she will be going into 8th grade, where all the teens are, and Princess won't allow her into next age group).

Our choices are narrowed down to RCI Brilliance and Carnival's upcoming new Liberty. With the RCI Brilliance we have a sure bet: established ship in established route, we know the product, and the age breakdown for kids is 12-14, which will work for daughter. NO self-serve laundry though, which means lots of handwashing and damp clothes hanging around the cabin.

With Carnival (which we have never sailed and frankly have been a bit shy of trying) we will get a larger cabin with the opportuniity for self-serve laundry, a big plus. We would go GTY (did it on Princess and got a nice upgrade) for a price several hundred dollars less than RCI. Also, we realize that most people going on an extensive Euro cruise aren't going to make the trip one big long messy drinking binge, and it should be a pretty good group going. However, we are concerned that the maiden voyage could be disorganized (though we know that the best crew is always put on the maiden voyages) and possibly delayed. But the lure of a laundry room is very strong indeed! And I am told--though Carnival info seems to contradict itself--that the 12-15 year-olds are grouped together, which will work for us.

From those with the voice of experience, please help!

I'm also debating which cruise line to go with to Europe next summer. I was completely satisfied with everything on RCI but we've had some issues with Carnival.

I'm leaning towards the new Liberty because it has the ports I want, it's NEW and I will get more accommodations for my money. The departure port of Rome is better that Barcelona for before and after cruise tours.

I'm currently trying to decide to book without air reservations and waiting to book my own later.

Good luck on your decision...

Guest Crazeecat5

I have cruised 5 times with Carnival and have loved them from the start. My DH and I always wanted to do Europe and so, not knowing the Liberty was on her way, we took RCCl's Splendour of the Seas 7 day European cruise in July. The trip was wonderful however, we felt that the ship was lacking in food, cabins, decor and entertainment. We just booked the Carnival Liberty for the 2nd voyage, Aug. 1, 2005. A brand new ship and 12 glorious days in Europe, what more can one ask for?

Good luck in making your decision.

Sheryl

I'm currently trying to decide to book without air reservations and waiting to book my own later.

Why don't you book it WITH the air right now while you are searching for your own air. This way, should you not find air at a price you want, you will already have it reserved with the cruise line in the event that availability disappears. If you find it at the price you want, cancel the air from the cruise booking.

I'd say that Carnival Liberty is the better of the two as well. I did book her for August 25th next year, as I've made clear in too many posts already. Basically it was either that, Splendour of the Seas, or the Carribean- again for us. As long as the design doesn't have any additional failings over the Destiny class, and Farcus isn't going insane we should enjoy the ship and Carnival has never failed for me when it comes to food, activities and entertainment.

A warning to those who booked for early August- hope this doesn't upset you, but in case you don't know in early August almost everything in Italy is closed.

Guest Crazeecat5

My TA also said that everything we'd want to see and do will be open in August. Maybe a few shops or restaurants here and there will be closed but there will still be plenty for us at that time.

Sheryl

Of course I can't add anything about Liberty, but, out of 14 cruises, the Brilliance is without a doubt the prettiest ship I've been on. Acres and acres of glass walls giving you an almost constant view of the sea. I would do the Radiance class again in a heartbeat.

We did Brilliance last year for a 12 day Mediterranean and it was just perfect (except it was hot in early July. The Radiance ships are really beautiful, have been on Brilliance and Radiance in Alaska and will go on Jewel next month for the Canadian 10 day Fall Foliage cruise. RCI has never disappointed us - great value for the slight upcharge in price.....sometimes you get what you pay for.

My husband and I have also already booked the Liberty for August 1, 2005. We sailed on Oceania Insignia this April and our itinerary was almost the same as Liberty's. We can not wait to revisit the wonderful sites.

We have sailed with Carnival many times and have not had a bad experience yet. They do a great job at an affordable price. Hopefully, the adventure into Europe will be smooth and exciting.

Guest Crazeecat5

Hi Shibley,

Trying to start up a roll call for Liberty August 1, 2005. Check out the Carnival roll call area. Probably on the 2nd or 3rd page by now. It will be fun to talk for the next 328 days.

Sheryl

We looked at the Liberty for a short minute, but I just can't bring myself to sail with CCL again. No specific reasons. I cruised with RCI and can't go back to CCL. At the time we booked, CCL was $400pp than RCI.

We're taking along friends (24 to be specific) and we're all Diamond Crown and Anchor members with RCI. The June 17th sailing is a member's cruise and RCI is VERY good to those that are loyal to them.

Can't wait...

I just came back from my 5th Carnival cruise and I love Carnival. February, we went on RCCL and I was very disappointed even though I heard the brilliance is very nice. I am also booked on the Aug 1 Liberty and I can't wait. I am bringing my three kids, 21, 18 and 13. The camps age groups are usually 9-11, 12-14, 15-17. Carnival has had a very bad rap about being a noisy party cruise, but every cruise you get the wild party goers. I feel that Carnival runs their cruise line very well. I have never had a bad exprience with Carnival. This will be a brand new ship and great ports - for a pretty good price. What could be bad.

Archived