Why not much chat about the Victory?

Hojo's redbeard

We had originally been booked on the Liberty of the Seas, had to cancel for family reasons which resolved itself. We went back to book on the Liberty of the Seas because DW and DD wanted to go on it so bad. Well, our Family inside had jumped from $2900 to $4800, and they didn't have a Promenade one. So, our only option was an oceanview for around $3500.

My PVP called...had seen that I was on the Carnival site the night before...and after a couple of minutes threw out a price for the Victory that was too nice to pass up. Called DW, she said to do it, called back and booked it. All I knew about it was generic stats, a couple of pictures and the itenerary. I hadn't booked a cruise with that little knowledge of what I was getting into...ever! To my surprise, I came to the boards and haven't found much talk about the Victory. Why is that?

I can't figure out why the sailing we are going on has suites at $999/pp and some of the other sailings that week have higher priced balconies. I've seen the Victory highlighted on the current Carnival commercial and know it is doing a couple week long drydock soon, so why are the prices lower? Anyone out there that has been on it have anything about it that they can toss out for me? Does anyone know what they are going to do on the upcoming drydock? I haven't seen much information on it. I did read somewhere that they were going to add the dive in theater, but it was undetermined if it would be at this drydock or the next one.

Lastly, I've seen conflicting reports. Is Victory a Destiny class ship, or a Triumph class ship? I've seen it listed both ways (on Carnival.com of all placees). It really doesn't matter either way, but I remember wanting to go on the Destiny before it was launched, just never had the opportunity when it was out of Miami, and living in Florida...good luck getting me on a plane to take a cruise!

Thanks in advance!

Maybe part of the reason the price is so reasonable is that you're traveling on an off-week.

Why not much chat on the Victory? I guess it's because there haven't been any major problems for people to complain about!

In any event, we sailed her last year and booked her again for next May. The main thing to remember on the ship is that, as far as "public places", Decks 5 and 9 run front-to-back. You can get practically anywhere from either of those decks.

I guess we'll find out in a few weeks whether or not she has a dive-in big screen. Personally I think it's something I could do without.

Enjoy!

I haven't found much about the Victory either.

I've heard the person responsible for Club02 is Ria and that the teens really like her. I hope she is still on board after dry dock.

I think she is the same class as the Triumph, which we were on 2 years ago.

Hojo: We are on the same sailing as you are. Myself, DH, DD(31), DD(24), DS(19), DS(17) and DD(14). Hope you have a wonderful cruise. I plan on having the best cruise ever. It is the first with the whole family and probably the last one we can get everyone to come.

I was wondering the same thing!

We cruised our first time on the Liberty and our group decided to do the Destiny in '09.

Now we see the Destiny has been replaced with the Victory.

CC was my place of choice for info on our first cruise and of course I came here again. Not much information at all on the Victory.

Any information on this ship from those of you who have been on it would be wonderful.:)

The Destiny, Triumph and Victory all have the same hull and basic layout which is why they are sometimes referred to as the Destiny class.

When the the Triumph was built, they "fixed the mistakes" in the Destiny design and added another half deck above the Lido deck forward.

Because of the changes this is sometimes referred to as the Triumph class. The Victory is the same as the Triumph.

Maybe part of the reason the price is so reasonable is that you're traveling on an off-week.

Even being an off-week, it's way cheaper than the other cruises going out at the same time.

DW was wondering about the reviews, I separated them for her and based on the Western Caribbean reviews, it averaged almost a 4.9 as compared to a 4.3 overall. Yes, I had WAY too much time on my hands one night when there was nothing on tv and I didn't want to do any more work.

I just want to know the trick to get into the Atlantic Dining Room. DW does not like the engine vibrations that you can feel in the aft Dining Room. There was one particular night on the Miracle that you could watch your silver dance around on the table.

The biggest early relief for us was finding out that Costa Maya had been replaced by Cozumel! We feel for the people there who have had their lives and livelihood flipped on their ear...but, I didn't want to go there again. Cozumel was a wonderful experience last time.

Here are lots of Victory reviews.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=175

As a general rule there is more chat about the newer ships, I wouldnt let that cause you any distress.

Read them all already and wanted more :o There usually are lots of reviews buried on the boards that aren't posted to reviews, but not in the case of the Victory. I knew it had to be a great ship for it to be the one on the commercials.

We just sailed her Sept 29th. It was the last New York departure New England/Canada 7 day of the season.

For some reason, the Victory gets better reviews when she sails from Southern Ports (which your sailing will be) than when she sails from New York (I don't know why) .... so make sure you look at where they were sailing from when reading the reviews.

We found her clean and well maintained. Love the green and sea decor.

The food was fine as was the service, staff and crew.

The main complaints so that you will be prepared is that Decks 3 and 4 do not have passenger passage ways that go all the way through the ship.

The kitchen and Atlantic Dining Room (2 story) eat up the middle section of the ship. This causes some folks some confusion with the dead ends. Just remember that Deck 5 (Promenade) is the main path from one end of the ship to the other. We had cabin 2440 which was Aft on the 2nd deck. We would simply ride the elevator to deck 5 or Lido to go to the front of the ship.

Ria (Club O2 director) is indeed one of the best. She is transfering to the Spirit but I do not know exactly when. I believe it is in January 2008.

Also beware that the Lido buffets are poorly designed creating bottlenecks.

I do not do buffets so this was not a problem for me. The deli was good as was the pizza, room service and hamburgers and hot dogs.

I do not see comparing the Victory to the Liberty of the Seas as being apples to apples though. The Victory does not have rock climbing walls, ice skating or the "Royal Promenade". Of course, as you pointed out...you don't pay RCCL prices either. I do believe that Carnival (and the Victory) will give you your money's worth!!

Have a great cruise. If DJ Kyle is still in the disco....tell him his "cruise Mom" said hi!!

We just got back this morning from the Victory 6 days Bahamas! Whoo Hoo!! What a great cruise and great people. Will write a review when get over my "oh no, I am back on dry land" symptoms. Whoo Hoo! (sorry about that :) ) Malcolm and the crew were great and yes, Malcolm was very visible. We did have 2 formal nights for those who were not sure...thanks Mr. Pete.

Cruise Mom and Mr. Pete. Thanks for the encouraging words! Sorry you had to come home :( I one day plan to be one of those people you hear about that lives on the cruise ship :D

As for the RCCL/Carnival differences...I really could care less about the Royal Promenade, looks like a mall. Rock Climbing wall, flow rider and ice rink would provide about 3 hours of entertainment that I can get at home for about $50.

This is our first time on a cruise. Mom and Dad's christmas present to all us kids... will be 10 of us all together.:D

Any thoughts as to wether or not our rooms are nice, or the location is a good one? I think we're assigned to room #8249. I think we're close to elevators... what's the noise going to be like?

I'm so excited! Can hardly wait!:D :D

This is our first time on a cruise. Mom and Dad's christmas present to all us kids... will be 10 of us all together.:D

Any thoughts as to wether or not our rooms are nice, or the location is a good one? I think we're assigned to room #8249. I think we're close to elevators... what's the noise going to be like?

I'm so excited! Can hardly wait!:D :D

You should be fine on noise from the elevators. We have been closer than that on other ships and there is never been a problem.

One couple had a cabin literally "behind" the elevators and I was able to ask them about any noise issues and they had none...which was good news.

The Victory is a beautiful ship...with good size cabins and lots to do.

As mentioned before, the Lido layout is a little congested and can cause some lines so remember that pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs and BBQ chicken are also avaiable by the back pool...and the deli is on one side of Lido with Asian on the other side of the Lido area. We usually eat lunch in the formal dining room when it is open. It is open seating and there is little waiting!

I just want to know the trick to get into the Atlantic Dining Room. DW does not like the engine vibrations that you can feel in the aft Dining Room. There was one particular night on the Miracle that you could watch your silver dance around on the table.

When you get your S&S card, if you've been assigned to the Pacific Dining Room, see the maitre 'd about changing. There will be info in the Capers regarding where and when the maitre 'd will be available. They will do whatever they can, but I'm sure you know there are no guarantees. Good luck!

We loved the Victory so much the first time, that we just booked her again for next August!!!:p

Pizza is great, BBQ is great... can't comment on the Chinese food (didn't get a chance to try it... maybe next Aug.)

Loved every minute of the 5 days we were onboard... you will too!!;)

We were on the Victory in September and had a good (not great) time but I have to agree with LHP that being it was on the Eastern Canadian itenerary it was different. It wasnt the ship or the crew but the itenerary that was "slow". It was more of an educational vacation. We learned a lot of history which is cool (and we do the same on southern cruises as well) but there was not much beyond that for us.

I was on the Victory in May for the Bahamas cruise out of Charleston,SC and it was great. My DD gave her review as an oral presentation in class ( she is in 3rd grade) of the Victory, Bahamas and Charleston and she made an A. Have fun on her and enjoy.

i know what you mean! i've had such a hard time trying to get an idea on what to expect when we sail on the Victory in November (her first voyage after the dry dock!! - so just imagine my dread!)

We sailed on the Destiny last year and I know they have the same layout, being sister ships so we are not too worried about getting lost!

I will be sure to report back on her status after dry dock as soon as we get back!

Our first cruise was on the Victory in 2006, Eastern Caribbean itinerary. We liked it so much that we did the Western trip last spring also on Victory. It was beautiful, lots to do, and even the slot machines were friendly! The food was delicious, and service was excellent - attentive and courteous, but not hovering. We enjoyed the aft dining room because of all the big windows - watching the sunset during dinner was fabulous.

Does anyone know what they are doing with this ship while it is in drydock. My husbands company is taking everyone on this ship the week after christmas as a Thank You for all the hard work this year. We are the only ones who have cruised before so I have been nominated the information "queen". I would love to be able to tell them about the new things that will be going in right before we sail!!!!!

Thanks for any info you have.

Ladybug 1234

Archived