chops or portofino?

chops or portofino?  

261 members have voted

1. 1. chops or portofino?

We cruise with a family and friends group, and have done Chops. One of the friends is of the opinion that for $140 more per cruise, he would be happy eating there every night for the food and service. Since we are paying for 6 people, that's a little too much for us. But it is very nice. My objection the first year we went is that they split us up and put us at two tables. Having dinner together at the end of the day is really important to us, so I wasn't happy. But last year they accomodated us and set up a table for all of us. It was especially nice because the first formal night, a couple of our first timers missed dinner because of sea sickness, so we made the night at chops an extra formal night so those dresses got to be worn. Also, the night we planned to go to Chops was going to be lobster night in the dining room. We asked them if they could save our lobsters and serve them the next night for us, and they did.

Are Chops & Portofino both open for lunch each day of the cruise? Are the lunch menus different from the dinner menus? We are anxious to try them both - maybe one for lunch would be nice too. Will try J.Rockets too - might as well go for the complete dining experience.

Last year on the NOS, Chops presented me with the best prime rib I have ever had in my entire life. However, although the service was adequate, it did not meet my expectations. Portofino, on the other hand, had excellent service, but the food wasn't as much to my liking. Consider though, that I was expecting American Italian cuisine and that is not what is served at Portofino.

Chops & Portofino were open for lunch only on sea days during our Radiance Alaska trip. I didn't see all of the menus, so I don't know if lunch & dinner are the same, but they had a little basket of both out front of each restaurant, or the maitre d' will be happy to tell you.

We sailed on the Brilliance in early September in the Mediterrean. We had such horrible serve in the dining room by our waiter and assistant waiter that we involved the Head waiter. Get better training for your staff or we will continue to move up the chain. It was taking us over 2.5 hours to eat dinner with no excuses. The Head waiter switched out our waiter for a nice young women. When we went to Chops to eat with our tablemates, guess who was our waiter? Our old server. He was a different person and gave us excellent service. Maybe working in a smaller situtation was the trick or having a better manager. We returned on the last night of the cruise and had the gentleman again with good service.

Kearnsk91

Appetizers choices..... Shrimp Cocktail, Portobello Caps or Maryland Crabcakes

Soups ....... Cheese N' Onion Soup, New England Clam Chowder.

Salads......"Chops Salad", Beefsteak Tomato, Traditional Caesar

Followed By ...... Prime Rib of Beef, Chops Signature New York Sirloin, Veal Chops, Filet Mignon, Colorado Lamb Chops, Royal Pork Shank, Rotisserir Chicken, Mesquite Grilled Salmon.

Sides and Veggies...... Baked Idaho Potato,Home Fried Potatoes with Sauteed Onions, Mashed Potatoes, Steamed Asparagus, Sauteed Mushrooms, Fried Ionion Rings, Rice Pilaf, Creamed Spinach.

Dessert?????? Hummmmmmmm

I am having a hard time figuring out how much Portofino's & Chop's cost. Does RCCL charge by the visit, trip, person , resturant, or all of the above? How much? Sorry for all the questions just confused to all the extra charges that keep seeming to pop up. Does Grandeur have a Johnny Rockets, if so how much is that? Thank you for replying. We leave in 50 days to New Orleans to board the Grandeur not that we aren't excited or anything. YYYYIIIIPPPEEEEE!!!!!

The Grandeur is a Vision Class ship. (Pretty with looks of glass and the beautiful Solarium) and a state of the art Ship Shape Day Spa and Fitness center. There is no Johnny Rockets on Vision Class ships.

No Chops or Portifino either UNLESS they added it?

You're going to have ablast cruiisng out of New Orlenes! Bon Voyage!

We have never been on RCCL but will be on the Brilliance in Mar/05 we are looking forward to it very much. We have done alternative dining on Princess and loved it! We are already planning which nights to do alternative dining. In my travel of the boards, brochures, and web site one can not book this I believe prior to boarding. We always book and will book these 2 nights for alternative dining the minute we board. I've seen the price of $20./person as the charge for dinner. Hope this is of some help. Enjoy the cruise, there's really no other way in my opinion to vacation! ;)

Hi,

My sisiter and I just got back from the Brilliance Med crusie and were very disapointed with the dining room service so we decied to try Chops and ended up eating there 7 nights out of the twelve nights. we loved it, they had many different chioces besides steak and the staff and service were Excellent.

Portofino we ate at one night and the food was good but the scene and service were sub par.
Stick with chops and you cant go wrong...

Christine

• 3 weeks later...
We had booked in both restaurants on our last cruise (Brilliance). However, after eating in Chops. . . (excellent food and excellent service BTW) the ambiance was all of that of Chuck E. Cheese. There were several parties of 10 or more and that was to be expected every night. We couldn't hear ourselves think. We'd never do it again. We cancelled our reservation for Portofinos because the m'aitre d' couldn't find any night where there were no large groups. I would rather have the good food in the dining room and some ambiance, than great food and a pounding headache.

Archived