Need info about AA check-in at Port of Miami

pringle

Hi, I read in passing threads that there is a check-in counter for American Airlines passengers at the Port of Miami. I've been searching the boards and the AA website but have come up with no specific information.

We're arriving Miami off the Navigator on 12/18 and our flight is at 4pm. Would like to drop off luggage and catch lunch and a brief look at the city.

-- Where is the AA counter?

-- What service is provided? Will we be checked in for our flight? Our luggage will be brought to the airport?

Since I'm asking, maybe someone familiar with Miami will know these answers too.

-- How far is South Beach relative to the port and the airport?

-- Where is Little Havana?

-- Any recommendations for a good Cuban or Miami-ethnic restaurant?

Thanks for your help!!

South Beach is only a few miles away from the port, not hard to get to. Little Havana is in the opposite direction, sort of the middle of Miami itself.

As for Cuban, Versailles is often recommended, and I have heard that Las Culebrinasdot-clear.gif is good too.

La Culebrinas:

4700 W. Flagler St. (47th Ave.) Miami, FL, 33134 (305) 445-2337

2890 SW 27th Ave. (Coconut Ave.) Coconut Grove, FL, 33133 (305) 448-4090

Versailles

3555 SW Eighth St. (SW 35th Ave.) Miami, FL, 33135 (305) 444-0240

dot-clear.gif

Yes...there is a checkin counter at the Port. You can check bags, get your Boarding pass, etc...I would assume no ticketing...just checkin functions. For us, it was right where we retrieved our bags from RCCL. Definitely take advantage of it!:)

Thank you cmason and jyllie!!

Where is the AA counter exactly in the port? Or would it be pretty self-explanatory and I'm just asking a dumb question.

Will we be allowed to check in hours before our flight?

We were able to check in many hours before our flight back to UK in Feb as the staff noticed our Royal Caribbean bag,it seems cruise passengers are allowed to check in early.I am sorry I can't remember where the AA desk was.There is a bus by the way from the airport to the Dolphin Mall if you have few hours/dollars to left to spend. :D

Liz

I don't really remember specifics on the Port checkin, but I do know it was pretty close to the baggage claim for RCCL. The porter took us there and it was a very short walk. I'm sure anyone who works there can point you in the right direction:) Have fun!

Yes, it is right as you get off the ship, the porter will bring you right there. That is one great thing about the Miami port. We always travel via AA just for this reason, we do not have to lug the luggage around.

Good luck and happy cruising

You can't miss the AA check-in area. Skip the porter if you can, it's so close to the baggage carousel area. The line was long for us last year though because every single bag was opened for visual inspection. I'm not sure if the process is more efficient at the airport.

• 1 month later...

My family of four went right from Customs to the AA ticket counter and checked all or our baggage/received boarding passes/etc. We then caught a cab (minus luggage) and bypassed everything at the airport except security. What a blessing to not have to drag four sets of luggage to the Miami Airport and go right to the gate.

Ok folks i've just got an email from CA - There is a special check in desk at Miami and their is an American Airlines at the port of Miami - telephone number you can contact which is 01932834200 air and sea.

Great news

jj......

• 2 months later...

Ok everyone an update on AA checkin - i've just got home to the yesterday after 11nts on the Brilliance. We had pre-booked car hire for the day we left the ship and had decided to use the AA checkin at the port.

Well guess what --- the AA checkin was closed ( no reason given ) a aparently it depends on what mood AA are in whether they man it or not. It really spoilt the last day.

A guy ay checkin at Miami said they only man it Sat/Sun.

jj....

The AA checkin is not affiliated with RCCL. It is in the same terminal that RCCL uses, just past customs and immigration (after you get your luggage from the ship). If you have AA tickets, you can check-in, get your boarding pass, and check your luggage. You do have to have a flight leaving late enough for them to get your luggage to the airport....when we arrrived the signs said 1pm departures or later.

I thought it worked just great. There was a bit of a line, and the usual cranky travelers, but the AA folks handled it well, and it was very easy, just like checking in at the airport. Plus our baggage arrived at our desitination just fine!

Thats all well and good cmason - but you can't rely on it being open - AA supervisor told me ( at the airport ) that its only open sat/sun/mon and only if they have extra staff.

I wouldn't make any plans again and just take it as closed.

jj......

Archived