Atlanta I-75 Question

ariel7303

DH and I have decided to take the "scenic" route and drive from Indiana to Ft. Lauderdale for our 11/04 cruise. We have a disagreement on the route through Atlanta though. I have always driven straight through on I-75 and never encountered much of a problem. DH, however, wants to take I-285 around Atlanta. We should be coming through between 6am to 8am on a Friday...depending on the time we leave home. Anybody have any thoughts as to which would be the best route for that time of day??

For many years our family drove all the way to Florida (and back) on the I-75. We always went through Atlanta at various times of day and night and only rarely experienced anything more than a slowdown. The one year we decided to take the 285 (about 3 years ago) we hit the worst traffic jam you could imagine. I would much rather have been looking at that great Atlanta skyline on the I-75!

Thanks! Now that you mention that...I also remember taking I-285 one time...a couple moons ago...and being stuck in a traffic jam. I think I'm going to try to win this one. (Just watch us get stuck in traffic in downtown!!) That would be just my luck wouldn't it!! Ha! :)

I live about 100 miles north of Atlanta and travel there frequently. We NEVER take the bypass. It's a ZOO! You very well may have traffic going straight through but I guarantee that it will be more on the bypass plus it's longer.

On the other hand, when you get to Macon, DO take the I-475 bypass there. It cuts off about 30 miles and is a very easy drive.

Enjoy your road trip and cruise!:)

Sharon

I live in Macon, just south of Atlanta.... I LOVE taking 75 straight through whenever going up there! I LOVE to see the buildings and such! After all - you did say you were taking the "Scenic" route.

As far as I 475 - I don't think that it is any less busy than I 75 at any given time. I work in South Macon and live in North Macon - I never have problem w/ traffic [[unless they are doing road work]]

I also live about 100 miles north of ATL. I make very frequent trips for workshops, shopping and visiting a friend, who lives downtown on Peachtree. Do yourself a favor, and do NOT go on 285. It is always a zoo. We will actually go out of our way to avoid 285, if possible.

Please realize that a lot of the people who work in Atlanta live north in Cobb County. You will be traveling south in the middle to the morning rush hour. If you can't plan on being through the city by about 6-6:30, wait until about 9:30. You will sit in lots of traffic, adding an hour to your travel time at best, if you go anytime around 7-9.

Even with the traffic, it is still a much more scenic and safer trip on 75.

Gotta agree. When I lived up by Lake Lanier (mid 80s), I worked in Roswell and traffic wasn't back then (400).

Now, when I drive down to see my sister (near Peachtree City) I just drive down I-85. If I want to go north of the city, I pick up I-75. I just never bother with going all the way around on the perimeter. Traffic is usually even worse and it is farther out of the way!

I agree with PPs - it's better to hit Atlanta before 6:30 and after 9-9:30. The good news is that sometimes Friday mornings are better (but the afternoons are horrendous!!). Take 75 straight on through the city and avoid the mess that is 285.

I'm originally from south of Macon and yes, it is better to take 475 to go around it. In this case, it's not a traffic issue, but more of a time-saving issue and you get to avoid the 16 split that causes some accidents.

Just keep in mind on your return, if you're travelling on a weekday, the bad hours in Atlanta are 7-9am and 3/4-7pm. On your way back north (and possibly on the way south too) you'll get stuck in Henry county just south of Atlanta. Don't worry about it, just accept that it will happen. It almost always does and there is no rhyme or reason for it.

I moved from Atlanta just a year and a half ago. Got to say...IT'S ALL BAD! 6AM to 8AM will put you in the thick of everything. The good news, if there is any, is that of all the week days, I always found Friday morning to be the least hectic, but Friday afternoon was always a killer. My preference, however, is to take I-75 - it's a bit shorter in terms of miles and if you're going to sit in traffic (and you most likely will)...take the least amout of miles.

I agree with the rest. Hit it as early as possible, 6-6:30 or plan on hitting it after 9:00. Take I75 through the city. Leaving northwest of Atlanta, having to travel to meetings,etc. getting stuck in the traffic is no fun.

I live in the Atlanta area and you would be wise to make the trip thru the city before 6:30-7:00am and use I75 thru the city. Also listen to WSB radio 750AM for traffic reports every 6 minutes. They are the only ones that have airplanes in the air to check the traffic and have 4-5 traffic reporters. If there is an accident on I75 inside 285 then you might consider using 285 on the west side and rejoin I75 near the Atlanta Airport.

John

Just wondering where you live in So IN. We live in the middle of Hoosier Natl. forest. We went on the LIberty in June and loved it.

Can't believe you are driving. I am too impatient altho when we got back from our cruise on the Pride 2 wks ago. I could have driven from LAX in the time we got home on our flight. They cancelled us in Cinn and had to spend the night. We couldn't get a car to drive home.

I am from Linton. I have been down in your neck of the woods several times. Not too long ago actually...with a stop off at Huber Winery! I really can't believe we are driving also. Straight through at that! I frequently checked on the airfare and DH always said we could drive cheaper. We'll see about that one. I'm not sure it will be worth the stress...but at least it will be an adventure for us. We have 2 nights in Fort Lauderdale so we'll have a day in between to "rest" and explore the city.

This will be our first Carnival cruise. I have previously been on 2 RCI ships and loved it! We are very excited and can't wait!

I agree with all the other ATL residents - do not under any circumstance attempt I285 in either direction during those hours. But I also want to add that if you choose to go through ATL on I75, you will be able to use the diamond or high occupancy vehicles lanes. Make sure to watch the signs and lanes for entrance points. And if someone is in front with only one person in car, just honk and they'll move - they know they shouldn't be there.

I've lived here so long, I remember when there wasn't even a I285 and then I remember when it was only two lanes. Now it's a nightmare and since I have to drive it to work, I make sure to schedule my work to avoid the traffic.

I would definitely use I-75/85 through downtown and avoid I-285 which is usually a disaster. Make sure you use the HOV lanes as well. You can also dial 511 from your cell phone anywhere in Georgia for real-time traffic info. I use this frequently on my daily commutes to/from town. I also suggest listening to AM 750 for traffic in the AM as they have it every 6 minutes, after 9am they have it every 15 or so. (I sound like a commercial!)

Also, I would use I-475 in Macon as this will save you time and distance.

WSB 750 AM is the best!!! I listened to that every morning during my 2+ hour commute and then again for that same horrible commute home. Can't say that I miss anything about Atlanta though, except Mom and Dad! And Clark Howard.

If you're going to rely on Capt'n Herb's traffic reports on WSB radio, you need to know some of the jargin. "The connector" is what you'll want to pay attention to - that's the freeway that runs through downtown Atlanta. Interstates 75 and 85 merge together to go through downtown. Because they "connect", they've been dubbed "The connector."

Spaghetti junction - that will not affect you since you're coming down I-75, so don't worry about all the problems you'll hear about that. "The outer loop" and "the inner loop" - those refer to I-285 which is a circle around Atlanta - the inner loop is, well, the lanes that are on the inner side of the circle and the outer...well, you get it. I think I-20 is called the "east west freeway", isn't it? That won't affect you either. Ignore "the Buford connector" too - it's not in your path.

If you are unfortunate enough to hear Capt'n Herb say, "Oh my achin' toe....all lanes shut down on the connector", then DO get on I-285 and take route that passes west of the city. Sorry, but it does happen.

Archived